1,235 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Full, Rich Beyond-Excellent Sound!
SOUND
I bought these ear-buds along with one of the Dr. Dre Beats headsets to compare the sound. They were both exactly the same price but the Shure earbuds busted a righteous cap in Dr. Dre's pretentious creation.
Published 21 months ago by Cassia Beltran

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, clunky design.
Love the sound. I've had several versions of these headphones over many years, having bought each subsequent model as they've updated the design. This one delivers as expected in many ways - most notably the audio, which is probably the most important aspect. There are a couple of disappointments, however.

One flaw is that they are just not very easy to get...
Published 13 months ago by J. Zemel

4.0 out of 5 stars Full, Rich Beyond-Excellent Sound!, April 5, 2013
SOUND
The rich, creamy sound coming out of these Shure puppies is amazing. It allows for the correct balance between the bass, the mids, and the highs without any distortion at various volume levels. I couldn't believe it! The Beats earbuds had an ounce of more bass to them but the mids and high's had that cheap tin-can sound. People's voices came off flat and isolated in relation to the other sounds and it didn't take long for the off-pitch ringing to hurt my ears. Even when I tested the prescribed bass-heavy Hip-Hop/Rap songs on both earbuds, the Shure's stomped-stomped-stomped the Beats out of the competition. Shure's bass, which is a fraction less than the Beats, was still excellent and provided for the sound that felt truly SURROUND.

After I found that Shure's were the one for me, I submitted the Shure earbuds to other tests.

NOISE-CANCELLATION
Technically, these are "sound isolating" earphones and I don't know how that's different from "noise cancellation" but the one thing is true: these earbuds keep the outside noise out and music in. I drove over to my half-deaf grandmother's house just to test this. She likes to get up close and shout all holy-hell about if you'd like to eat. Cue Shure earbuds and stand in shock as grandmother is transformed into David Bowie singing "Ziggy Stardust" and holding a spatula. Crazy. I could only hear the music. But it needed more rigorous testing.
I then went to a friends house who keeps a mini-zoo, including guinea pigs. If you've ever heard a guinea pig squeal, you'll remember it forever. "Wheee! Whee! Wheeeee!" I looked those noisy suckers right in the face, holding a carrot and daring them to defy the Shures. A tiny bit of the squeal came though - not even enough to notice unless you were, as I was, looking at them. But that might not be Shure's fault; guinea pigs are hyper-sonic furballs from another planet.

FIT-DESIGN
Yes, the design is initially awkward. Yes, there was a moment when I felt like a lab-monkey, given triangle pegs to put in round holes. Yes, I initiated a contest in my family for who could figure it out the quickest. The current record is 2.75 minutes and one person still can't figure it out; it goes to show there's variation as far as personal adjustment to the design. I was right at 4 minutes the first time I put them in, but after 2 days of use, I can whip these puppies in and out of my ears single-handed and almost as fast as any conventional earbud set. It just takes some getting use to, but if you get frustrated, remember: THE SOUND IS WORTH IT.
They do very well at staying put. After my 4 minutes of wrangling, I immediately started bouncing around and trying to dislodge them. In sum: running and jumping will not dislodge them; however, vigorous head-banging and a solid head-blow by a pillow, will.

FEATURES
No features except extra-ordinary sound. There is no control function on the earbuds. This was a little off-putting for me. I like being able to answer calls, adjust the volume, skip tracks, etc., directly from the earbuds. Such features are very convenient if you listen to your smartphone. If you listen to a single-function device like a MP3 player, then it might not be a big deal for you. Still, its not that bad. I mean, heaven-on-earth, I have to actually push the buttons on my iphone!

YES, GOOD-LOOKS COUNT BUT...
The Beats won the Beauty Contest. The Shure's didn't even get an honorable mention. The Shure's are not as clear as they appear in the picture. While the actual ear-piece is clear, the rest is like dull-silver. And the cable is thick; not thick enough to connect you directly to the energy grid, but thick enough to notice. I showed the thing to a person who knows way more about these things and he was knocked off his chair (in a good way). He said, "Look at these. It's clear plastic over BRAIDED STEEL. Look! Look how much steal there is!" and he went on how the steal made some sort of difference in the quality of the sound, limiting frequencies or some such thing (I'm pretty sure I got it all wrong). I looked at them and sure enough, I could see the braided steel. It certainly makes the earbuds durable. And while I'm not sure if walking around with these things makes you more susceptible to lightning-strikes, it certainly will not break when it does. Imagine: crispy critter with intact earbuds and a smile on face because he/she never heard the lightning storm in the first place.

I'm just kidding. I'm sure these are perfectly safe.

SUMMARY: In the end, I didn't hesitate to keep the Shure's, even in the face of lack-of-features and beauty-contest-rejection. For me, the sound outweighs everything and I will dwell is musical BLISS even as I push actual buttons on my Iphone and defend my Cool on the street. Sound is everything.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Good and Bad of SE215-CL, July 18, 2011
Great with few minor complaints.

I just got my Shure SE215 Clear earphones. I immediately tried them and road-tested them. Overall they are awesome except few complaints. I hope this doesn't damper your dream of owning one.

Good: Sound Quality and noise reduction:

Excellent and Awesome. I could hear even the weakest background note clear. Sound is well balanced. The Bass is perfect, not artificially amp'd to give you headache.
These earphones block most of the outside noise. I swear. On the LIRR train ride between my place and Penn station in NYC, I couldn't hear a decibel of outside noise. I couldn't hear the loud station announcement, not the loud chatter of girls sitting next to you, not the train sound. Nada. This was not possible with my old earphones. These are perfect for outdoor listening but watch where you use it (read on)

Bad: Noise reduction:
It blocks way too much noise to be used where you shouldn't be using an earphone - like biking, walking on the street or crossing roads.
Your ears tend to get heavy after an hour of listening. Probably because this earphone blocks most of the noise and all you listen is just music. It just isn't healthy for ears. Take breaks every half an hour to relieve your ear pressure.

Bad: Style & looks:

It takes a little effort to get used to wearing these but they fit perfectly firm. I bought the clear model as I was attracted by the shiny new silver like finsh in the photo. I thought they are a perfect show off but I'm disappointed. The SE215-CL looks much dull than in real-life than in picture. You can't see it unless you open the package. Since these fit in a certain weird way - like around your ear, I have people staring at me in public. Not sure if it is good or bad.

If style and look matters to you, checkout a real life picture of CLEAR and BLACK before purchasing.
Note: B&H photo store in NYC has SE215-CL for $89 ($10 less than black). Don't know why.

Good: Cord:
Cord quality is awesome. It has kevlar coating and unlike rubber I don't think it will break or tear. It is one of the reasons I chose this over Etymotic or Klipsch. And the most convenient thing is that the cord is behind your ears when you wear them and they don't fall in front of your face when you bend down.

Bad: Cord:
It just won't bend as much as the rubber cord does. A really really minor concern.

Overall: Sound quality matters to me more than looks. I just wish they had made the CLEAR ones like shown in the picture. Just saying.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, clunky design., November 24, 2013

One flaw is that they are just not very easy to get around the ears and into the ear canal. They have a stiff sheath along the few inches of cord nearest to the buds which does not mold easily to the shape of the ear. I understand what they were trying to do - presumably they wanted to give that section some sturdiness so that the cord would mold nicely and stay in place - but the execution produced the opposite of the desired effect, actually making it harder to get the cord to hook around the ear and stay put.

Moreover, because of the substantial plastic casing around the electronics, the buds don't fit in my ears very squarely, and the positioning is easily disrupted by any contact. Any pressure on the bulky outside of the buds - such as from a pillow or even a headband when it's cold - can cause the fit to be distorted, the foam to collapse, and the sound to be muted. Not ideal.

I'll continue to use these headphones and I'm not in a hurry to replace them, but they are not as well-designed as previous Shure models, and when it is time to buy again, I will research other options.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally Found the Ones!!!, March 30, 2011
This review is from: Shure SE215-K Sound Isolating Earphones with Single Dynamic MicroDriver (Electronics)
I would just like to say that when it comes to music sound quality, I'm spoiled. I have a sound system in my car that cost me a few K's, and as unfair as it may be, I compare all sound sources to it.

Of course, one cannot expect in-ear headphones to sound exactly like a car's sound system, but one can expect for them sound a little like it. At the $150 and below price range, these are the ones!

I've tried many, many in-ear headphones. Klipsch S4's, Monster Turbines, Audio Technica ATH-CKS70's and the Sony MDR-EX300's just to name a few. Let me say that each of the in-ear's just mentioned perform admirably, but, the SE215's do what all the others do well, in one package. The high's of the S4's? Check. The bass of the Turbine's and CKS70's? Check. The balanced sound of the EX300's? Check. Add to these features the replaceable cable, the perfect seal foam tips, durable construction, great looking transparent enclosure and what can I say? Ladies and gentlemen, I think I have found a keeper.

Buy these. It will be the best $100 you will ever spend. For those of you still using the stock earbuds that come with portable music players, listen to the SE215's and you will never go back!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shure is a sure thing, August 5, 2011
This is not the first set of Shure earbuds I've owned. I had a set of the E2c's, which were fantastic. After about 5 years of hard labor, they finally gave up the ghost, and suffered the usual death by cable rot to which that series of buds were so prone. So I took to the search for a replacement, and these were my criteria...

1. They must be in-ear style buds, with the option to switch the sleeves (The piece that goes in the ear). Also, they must include those swappable pieces.

2. They must have a good warranty of at least 2 years.

3. They must not cost more than ~100 USD.

4. They must sound great.

(These are in no order of preference, and all considered equal)

So with that in mind, I also need to mention that I was partial to Shure. Mostly, because the E2c's were my first real good set of earphones, and broke down all my stigmas as to "Why would anyone pay so much for headphones?" So here is my review.

The Sleeves - There are 2 different types of sleeves bundled with this set; one a flexible rubber, the other a re-expandable foam. Each has three separate sizes, to help you find a good fit. I tried both. The foam sleeves feel nice, so long as you insert them like earplugs. They expand nicely to your ear canal. They offer fantastic sound isolation, and stay inside. The rubber sleeves are comfortable, but they are constantly being pulled out of your ears by the very stiff cord. I will try them again once I get the cord broken in a bit more, but for now, I'm going with the foam sleeves.

The Warranty - 2 years, not bad, but my E2c's had 3. From what I hear, the cable rot issue is still going on, but I will expand on that in a minute.

The cost - If you can get them for 100 USD, then do it. I think they are normally 2X that price.

The Sound - At first, I was a bit worried. I was hearing some odd pops in the earphones. Pops that I shouldn't be hearing from a headset this expensive. But, that turned out to be from the player I had them plugged into. I tried a different source, and no pops. They are at least as good as my E2c's were when I first got them. There is some talk about the lows and highs and all that, and I don't know about all that. I know that I was getting some weird looks at the restaurant I was at when I was headbanging and booth-breaking (sit down dancing at my table) to the music. I listen to a lot of rock, electronica, and trip hop, and it all sounds great.

Other Stuff - I mentioned the cables, and for good reason. Shure has a history of cable rot; the insulation on the wires literally rots off, and results in dead headphones. To combat that, they have added 2 features. One, an additional layer of insulation around where the wire goes over the ear (The most common place of rot). This likely extends the life of the cable, which makes it even thicker than it already is, which makes it VERY stiff. This stiffness leads to the cable not staying in place, and needing some serious breaking in, which in turn could lead to breaking the wire. So be careful, and be patient. If you use the foam sleeves, then it isn't that big of a problem.
The other thing is that they made the cable able to be detached from the earpiece, which means you can replace it if it goes bad. This is nice, except that, it's proprietary. It is unlikely that Shure will still have these cables in a few years available for purchase or otherwise. So while it's a nice feature, you likely won't be able to use it for anything other than changing the color of your wires. (It would likely be a good idea to order a spare once these earbuds are discontinued).
I also want to comment on the case that comes with the set. It is pretty crappy. It looks ok, but it lacks anything to wrap the cord around. You have to wind it up on your own, then stuff it in. It's also a soft case. The E2c's had a fairly solid case with a plastic piece inside to wrap around, and with a spot in the center of that to house the drivers. I don't know what gives on this, but come on Shure, you went backwards on this part. (Minor yes, but still, why go backwards?)

So that's my experience with the 215's. I recommend them to anyone that knows how important a good set of headphones are, but doesn't have a lot of money to dedicate to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound.....for a Price., September 11, 2012
I'll start with the CONCUSIION: Perhaps the best sound available for the money, with one caveat.

BUILD: Over the Top. This is professional gear suitable as on-stage in-ear monitors. I've been through 2 sets of Sony headphones whose cables tangle incessantly and short out too quickly. While stiff, these cables appear bullet proof and are replaceable if not. That's great "cable insurance". Note: I believe a burn-in is necessary as well as the right tip for your ear. I am happy with the foam that came installed.

WEAR: Comfortable and will not dislodge, Period.

SOUND: (Disclaimer: A true Audiophile avoids the use of a graphic equalization, so I'm disqualified. To my ear, all phones / speakers can be improved by shaping the sound. I'm a semi-pro performing rock/pop drummer. I want some kick in my sound. My Reference Sound: Sony MDR-EX300, Bose QC15, BMW Premium Sound. Main source material for this review: Seal (1994), a very well produced album.

With a single driver Sure had to sacrifice some upper and lower end sound, but far less than you might expect. There is a natural "open" sound that is fun to listen to and never harsh. Separation, soundstage and overall articulation are very good. Way better than MDR-EX300 and even the QC15 in most arias.

Highs: The super transient highs are rolled off, yes, but only by spending twice the money would I expect improvement. Meanwhile what is there is effortless and pleasing.

Mids: Here is where they really shine. Seal's vocals have never sounded better. Usually I need to reduce the mid's with EQ. Not here. No closed or "boxy" sound. Great instrumental sound in this range.

Base: Clean, articulate, if lacking what the QC15 offers in the very low end. I have a long low reference base note in Seal's "Bring it On". It's right at the words "So what lies undone is your Kingdom Come". The Sure's handled it well enough, though not ground moving. The QC15s are better here. But what more do you expect for the price and seize considering the very good Mids and Highs? I'd say nothing.

What is pleasing is the natural mix of all 3, High/Mid/Base. This allowed me to hear new things in songs I've loved for years. That's impressive.

THE ONE CON: These baby's need to be "installed" in your ears, not popped in like your standard ear bud. It takes two hands for each ear. This is a lot of fuss just to listen to one song. It takes time and effort compared to anything you've had before. Not a deal breaker, just know this going in.

VERDICT: Don't waste your time looking for better sound at this price. Better to waste it instead on the effort "installing" them in your ears. I'm perfectly willing to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent performance and fit. Nice upgrade coming from Shure E2C, July 15, 2011
I don't do may reviews, I do it just for products I consider either really good or really bad. These monitors are part of the former group. The sound is amazing. Low, mid and high frequencies are masterfully balanced. I used to have the Shure E2C, and although they sound good, I wasn't thrilled about their bass. I'm not a bass head, but I like to be able to hear the presence of drums and bass in my music. Although the E2Cs did a good job, they were not excellent. The SE215 blow the E2Cs out of the water in every single part of the sound spectrum. I don't think you need a burn-in period with these (although I burned them in for about 14 hrs beforefirst use).

Fit is just great, extremely comfortable, much better than the E2Cs. They isolate outside noise very well. I just bought them and I am extremely happy. At this price, it is a no brainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, March 14, 2012
I had a pair Of E2C's that were given to me as a demo from Shure years ago and I wore them to the point of the rubber around the cable coming off and the wire breaking inside the cord jacketing causing the sound to go in and out... Having a background in the audio business for many years and very particular about performance i was more then apprehensive about a new pair of IEM's living up to my standards. Im one of these guys who always says "They don't make them like they used to" But Wow the SE215's are AWESOME. I opened the zipper case and at first glance I immediately noticed Shure has fixed the part of the cord that touches the top of my ear by using a small piece of flexible tubing around the cord and a piece of metal or like substance to hold the form of the top of the ear. Shure also made the ear bud swivel and detach so the cables can be replaced if at some point I manage to wear these out as well. Next on to the Listening, I have to say the sound out of the box was thin and lackluster. Not what you would expect from Shure. After reading some helpful reviews about IEM's having a break in period I decided to give it a shot and run them over night on my Ipod at medium volume. To my surprise the next morning the sound had completely changed. Wow what a difference. Shure didn't let me down after all. These sound better then the old E2C's. Bottom line for only 99$ buy you a set of SE215's, give them a little break in over night and then experience what your music is supposed to sound like. Thanks Shure I am a customer for Life !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, June 15, 2011
I can't say enough about these earphones. I am a drummer that made the switch to in-ear monitoring about six months ago and have never looked back. Starting with cheap earbuds and then moving up to a pair of Klipsch S4 earbuds, I have been looking at these for awhile and finally decided to try them out because of the list of nice features they offer for the price. I wish I would have started out with these.
My Klipsch's sounded very good but these blow them away! The bass is unbelievable and the clarity and mix of highs, mids, and lows is perfect IMO. These Shures are so comfortable that I actually forget that I have them in. The way they sit in your ear and the cord comes out the front and goes over the top of the ear makes them look very professional. The replaceable cord is also a huge plus. These are simply great earbuds for either general music listening or an entry level IEM system. I am currently using these with a Behringer 802 mixer, for monitor feeds, and I couldn't be happier. Stop looking and buy these now if you've been thinking about it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Amazing Sound., June 5, 2011
Louis Dennig (Washington D.C.) - See all my reviews
I had the Bose IE headphones before these, and there is no comparison, these have such clearer mids and highs, and you can really feel the bass in these earbuds. They also sound better than my qc2s, which is pretty surprising considering the price difference, although I cannot speak to comparing them to the newer qc15s. It takes a little while to figure out just how to get the earbuds fitting comfortably, and in the right position. If they don't sound incredible right from the start, you're probably not wearing them right. If the silicone or foam tip is not in the right position to give you a nice noise isolating seal and get the sound directly into your ear, they sound like completely mediocre headphones. With a little adjustment, you should be able to feel a good seal, preventing most outside noise, and then they will sound amazing. I take a train into a city everyday, and they cancel out almost all outside noise, making for a great morning commute. They handle everything beautifully and most of my music sounds like I'm listening to it for the first time. Jazz (Miles Davis, Ella and Louis) sounds richer and more dynamic than I've ever heard. One of the most interesting things about the Shures is that in areas of songs where extreme highs used to be grating on my ears using other headphones, on these they sound more balanced, much less harsh, and more like the notes were probably intended. Rock, classical, pop and bluegrass all sound amazing, but the Shure 215s are most impressive when you throw bass-heavy music at them. Daft Punk sounds like you're at a live concert, and the bass rocks like you would not believe. All in all, these are incredible earbuds that deserve all the praise they're getting. Highly recommended.