Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on July 9, 2012
This is my new favorite book. Larry tells it like it is and pulls no punches. It's about taking personal responsibility for you life. I purchased one for a friend's son who just graduated High School and one for my 40 year old daughter. I wish I had read it when I had graduated from High School. It would have saved me years of hard life lessons. After 65 years I have come to the same conclusions as Winget talks about in this book. Many young people today expect that they are going to be taken care of forever, either by parents or by the government. When they finally have to confront the hard facts of life they are in for a shock. Read about it in Shut Up and take control of your life and be prepared before the shock of reality kicks you in the butt. Highly recommended.
on November 5, 2012
This book is excellent. I am a middle-aged, hard working blue collar stiff. Winget's words have re-affirmed for me that I have done ok because I have for the most part taken a similar philosophy and approach in how I have lived my life.

I bought the book for my adult kids who have not taken responsibility and accountability for how they choose to live their lives. I am tired of the entitlement attitude, and tired of being used personally and financially because I am "rich" and they are so hard done by.

So I bought the book, read it, and passed it on to the kids. My response to the freeloading hand coming out now is "Read Winget's book and do what he says". Winget has given me the freedom to say "no" without guilt to my kids (and the guilt card has been played heavily on me over the years), while allowing me to give them the tool they need to get on with becoming responsible adults.
on April 16, 2015
I like reading self help and motivation books and after years of badgering from a family member read this one. It's now one of my favorites, and possibly the best I've read yet. Don't expect a whole lot of secret wisdom beyond what's in the title though.
on August 27, 2015
Well, there's more than a grain of truth in this book. Though there is really no remedy for the lazies among us who prefer to cast blame on faulty parenting, lousy school systems, racism, sexism (and all those things exist), etc., Mr. Winget offers some sound kick-in-the-pants, snap-out-of-it type counseling. Certain chapters are worth more than one quick read -- especially the ones relating to parenting and childhood.
on February 6, 2012
This book reminds me of the many ways we lose sight of what is important in life. It is a pep talk and a stern talking to at the same time. It helped me remember those lessons of life that I had forgotten. No one but yourself can make you happy. Don't wait for someone else to get started, get going and make money (life) happen.
on February 16, 2013
This is good reading for most high school students and even junior high school students. It is a good time of life to be exposed to the information and advice in this book. Notice I said "exposed" - most teens will hate this book. However, by the time they reach their 20's, they will start to remember the things they read and might even start to apply what they learned from this book. I sent a copy to 2 of my grandsons; no, as expected, they did not like the books.
You don't have to waste years of your life holding a "pity party" for yourself! Whining and complaining requires a lot of energy - this energy could be applied to "getting a life". Yes, YOU hold the keys to improving your own life - no one else can do it for you.
If you DO have a life, this is a good book to read so that you can help someone else that needs this information!
on January 5, 2016
I'll admit it, I'm drawn to the Personal Development genre. I've read a lot of books. This one is different than most. Does it cover some of the same material as other PD books, sure! As Larry himself put it "There are no new ideas" and he's right.

The difference lies in how Larry presents these ideas. He does not sugar coat anything. His blunt, do it or don't mentality is refreshing.

The theme that really struck a chord with me, and is hammered home in each chapter is personal responsibility. No life coach, guru, universal mind, or book (including this one) is going to motivate you, move you, or change you. That is up to you!

While we don't have to agree with all his methods/advice (He even addresses this by advising to you always be learning and seeking other information rather than just accepting other people's word, including his.) if you implement even a few of the ideas contained in this book, and do the WORK, you'll be better off than you were!
on August 3, 2013
Not your usual self-help advice. Freshing, contrarian, invigorating. I don't agree with everything said - but for the most part I believe the truth is stated in no uncertain terms: we are not victims in life, but for the most part personally responsible for our own success.
Excellent read and worth the time.
on June 11, 2013
This book repeats its message for the first 48 pages. I only know that because that's how far I got. I can't imagine what the book has to say by page 220, but I didn't get anything out of it, and was very disappointed. The writer keeps telling you how he's going to give you the key to success, or the tools to fix your life, etc., but doesn't get to the point to actually share HOW.
on April 29, 2015
I think this book is very helpful and full of good advice. The book made me face some hard truths about myself. I am thankful for the truth and I am so glad I read this book.