Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Outdoor Deals on DOTD

on January 8, 2007
Simply put, this is a beautiful album. For the longest time, the Arcade Fire's "Funeral" stood on its own as the most beautiful album in my collection. Sure, many albums have beautiful songs - even several beautiful songs, but no albums until "Shut up I Am Dreaming" have struck me as comparable to "Funeral", and that's saying a lot.

I'd now like to address the spotlight reviewer. Musicans/ artists (esp. good ones) create from their heart. Sometimes a lot of people like their contribution and they are recognized i.e., fame, and sometimes their contribution never catches on. However, it is insulting to insinuate that this is "music for the scenesters" like spencer championed them as his key demographic. I am 26 and far from a scenester kid, yet I enjoy this music very much. It's like insinuating that pink floyd made music for drug users. The fact that scenesters may (or may not) like this album is just a side-effect; scenesters weren't the impetus for its creation.

This is an album for anyone that appreciates a beautiful piece of work, be it a scenester, a stoner, or a conservative, etc.
on December 21, 2006
I cannot state more emphatically that Sunset Rubdowns album is my pick for album of the year, not just for how surprisingly good it is to anyone that enjoyed Wolf Parade's incredible debut but because it is simply inspiring from start to finish. As a whole this is the most delightful kind of album, the one you wish everyone's side-band would put out to keep the enthusiasm going. The fact that it will remain under almost everyone's radar is not entirely bad, as it leaves it open for discovery many, many years down the road.
on March 26, 2007
I found out about this group the same way that many others most likely have: I listened to Wolf Parade, wanted more and realized that singer/songwriter/keyboardist Spencer Krug had another band.

That band is Sunset Rubdown and while it is quite different than Wolf Parade (it's softer and more musically sparse), it still contains the unmistakeable love-or-hate vocals that Krug supplies for both groups. But if you loved Krug's somewhat-strained delivery on Wolf Parade's Apologies to the Queen Mary then you'll likely enjoy this side project of his.

The album does need quite a few listens for it to really grow on you but I instantly loved such tracks as "Us Ones In Between" with it's cryptic and poetic lyrics and it's simple piano melody. "I'm Sorry I Sang On Your Hands That Have Been in the Grave" has a wonderfully eerie, carnival-like, music-box esque charm to it that makes it stand out from the rest of the album. And finally, "The Men Are Called Horsemen There" and "Snakes Got a Leg III" give the album its most musically intense moments.

I have to mention that Sunset Rubdown also has an LP and an EP that were released prior to this. I absolutely love the EP. I highly recommend trying to find it and if you do - buy it! It has 5 tracks and they are all fantastic. I especially love "Three Colours". While "A Day in the Graveyard" parts I and II are probably the two best songs written and recorded by the band.
on July 12, 2006
I noticed as I was skimming the reviews for this album that all the reviewers seemed to enjoy it for the most part, but their seemed to be one consistent overall complaint-- the lack of direction one some of the tracks. The reason I tell you this is because I agree with this critique. But first comes the praise: -I think this is a terrific album, and probably my favorite of the year so far--There are hooks in these songs that lie a bit beneath the surface and just take a few listens to sink in, but once they have they bite down hard. Shut up i'm dreaming does a fantastic job of building up (for the most part) throughout the entire album to reach it's finale and succeeds at finding the climax during it's last song. But with this said, I think that there are a few songs that meander a bit. After listening to anything long enough, you will undoubtadly begin to adapt- and I really feel that i've have to force myself to do this a bit for some of these songs. All in all, I love this record. However, I just can't help but think that perhaps with a few minor alterations- they could have made this 'great' album a classic.
on June 11, 2006
Sunset Rubdown are all set to become the indie rock darlings of 2006. Spencer Krug, of Wolf Parade and Frog Eyes fame, has struck gold again with Shut Up I am Dreaming

This is a wonderful album, filled with soaring and beautiful music accompanied by Krug's haunted, warbling voice

From the opening elegiac chords of "Stadiums and Shrines II" all the way to the soaring pop-synth beats on "Shut Up I am Dreaming of Places Where Lovers Have Wings," I loved every second of this album.

To give the album that distinct flavour, Krug is accompanied by a wide assortment of electric pianos, xylophones, accordions and other instruments that give it a child-like, dream-like feel to it.

While the year is still young, I'd be surprised if this album wasn't on some top 10 lists. If there's any justice in the world, that is.
on June 26, 2006
Very rarely in my lifetime has an album come around that I feel is a complete masterpiece. Nevermind and Ten fall into that category, as well as OK Computer and more recently Arcade fire. Albums like these encompass and invade your daily life and you even start to feel sad that b/c in a twisted sense of irony, you feel it may have tainted ever other piece of music you listen to and nothing can possible top this euphoria you get at this moment. Of course, that idea is absurd and is as ephemeral as the current crush you have on a girl at school Anyway, I was never a huge fan of Wolf Parade or Sunset before I saw them both in concert, and since then, I have realzied the brilliance of their respective albums. You cannot listen to them on shuffle, each song serves a distinct purpose and place on the album, and only then will you start to appreciate them individually. Sorry I haven't written more about the individual songs, but I will leave that up to other reviewers out there.
on August 6, 2006
not being a huge fan of wolf parade or frog eyes, i didn't expect too much from this release. what i got was a well-thought-out, entirely entertaining album. krug's work with the aforementioned bands always semed to me a bit overstated, but here there is a respect for the whole and the sound is terrific, haunting and downright logical. maybe i'll go back and see if i can give my apologies to queen mary.
on October 4, 2007
To me this is one of the most underrated albums of 2006. Krug and Co. seem to be growing with each new album. Compared to the SR EP, which is an odd little gem in itself, this album has a much more powerful feel. Krug's eractic yelp rollicks along atop swirling keyboards, pounding drums, and explosive guitar runs. Certainly a strange and beautiful album. Personal favs - "Us Ones In Between" "Stadiums and Shrines II"
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 24, 2015
This is a great alternative album from the same guy responsible for Wolf Parade and Moonface. If you like either of those bands or bands like Arcade Fire, you will find this to be an unexpected treat. If you're not sure, go ahead and buy the title track; it's awesome.
on May 13, 2007
If you like wolf parade you'll like this album...I like spencer's voice, I don't know why but it reminds me of david bowie.