This product is fantastic. Easy to manage. Great space saver. Very quiet. Quick response and performs well with Windows 7
Published on November 30, 2010 by CRK

3.0 out of 5 stars Love it BUT...missing a couple nice features
Just finished installing Win7 on my newly-received Shuttle Atom, and I do love the little power-sipping PC, but I have to register two disappointments --no hdmi out (it's an option not provided with this unit) and, despite Amazon's write-up, no native WiFi!

Published on October 26, 2010 by UncleBobMartin

3.0 out of 5 stars Love it BUT...missing a couple nice features, October 26, 2010
This review is from: Shuttle Ultra Slim Barebone Atom with D510 Dual Core Processor, 2 GB RAM 320 GB SATA II 2.5 HDD and Optical Drive and 40W Power Adapter XS35-704 (Black) (Personal Computers)

I'll expand on this review later but for now I just want buyers to know the facts...now I'm off to Shuttle's site to see if there's an easily installed upgrade for the hdmi...then I'll weigh my WiFi options.

EDIT: The device is severely underdocumented, I don't know how anyone could get the wireless working without assistance, which I hope to provide to prospective buyers here....

My call to Shuttle revealed that there is a program installed from the driver disk called "ControlAP" that, when run, provides an on-screen "soft switch" that turns wireless on -- there is no other way to turn it on, apparently no "hot key" combination, just this program, and no documentation that refers to it.

Once I turned the wireless on, I had the devil's time making the connectionn. For some reason it wouldn't connect to my linksys access point until I changed the channel the point was broadcasting on -- while my other wireless devices [a roku settop box and an iphone] work fine on the default channel 6, and then on channel 1, that I switched to.

Apparently, Shuttle's tech staff is not ideally informed about the wireless, as, when I called to cancel the trouble ticket that was created, they were very interested in what I did to resolve my issue.

It's a nice little computer, at a good price, so it should sell well, I'm quite happy with it -- I'm using it to edit this review; I hope the info above helps future buyers.

EDIT: It stopped putting out any video signal a month ago. Shuttle has not responded to my request for email support. I expect a device like this to last longer than two years, but I guess Shuttle sees my expectations as unrealistic.

Cannibalizing for parts now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shuttle makes a great machine and their service has been top rate., November 30, 2010

Rate and Discover Movies