From Library Journal
"Of all our relationships, the sibling relationship is often the most invisible, or the most taken for granted," write the Levitt siblings, who have researched adult sibling relationships and offered workshops on them. Jo Ann is an R.N. at Canyon Ranch health resort in Lennox, MA, Marjory has her Ph.D. and teaches psychology, and Joel is a management consultant. Their eight-step program to help readers strengthen sisterly and brotherly bonds combines stories, interviews, and assignments. Not for the unmotivated, it calls for a lot of work, with much soul-searching and journal-writing. For instance, readers are instructed how to "invent new family legends" (Step 6), no small task. Even if one has been hurt by a sibling, the authors believe that there is much to be gained by renewing connections. The bibliography, resources, and web sites provide additional help in following up on the provided exercises. A wise gift for families, this belongs in public and academic libraries as well as in counselors' offices. Susan Burdick, MLS, Reading, PA
Copyright 2001 Reed Business Information, Inc.
From the Inside Flap
Experience the miracle of healing with a unique step-by-step program for enhancing adult sibling relationships — created by siblings for siblings
Much has been written about the relationships of parents and children. But the unsung chord in all of our adult relationships, professional and personal, is rooted in the sibling connection. In this extraordinary book based on their Sibling Revelry workshops, authors — and siblings — Jo Ann, Marjory, and Joel Levitt re-create the seminars that have helped many strengthen the bonds of their adult sibling relationships.
In eight clearly focused steps, with added material for home study, the authors show how to transform sibling rivalry into extraordinary, nurturing adult bonds that will enhance all other relationships in your life. Now you can regain the closeness you and your siblings once shared, heal old wounds, and pave the way to a happier, healthier future. Learn how to:
* Define your relationship — Unload the myths of your shared past...and discover who you are to each other now
* Witness the effect of old rivalries — And use them as a springboard to great adult relationships
* Envision a new future — Break the habits that hold your relationship firmly in place...and create a powerful new vision for yourself and your family
* Explore new modes of contact — Examine the "role" you play in your family and free yourself from damaging old patterns
* Heal wounds and misunderstandings — Resolve old conflicts as you sort through old issues of fear, anger, guilt, and hurt
* Invent new family legends — Uncover the myths and legends that have shaped your relationship...then create new ones
* Make room for differences — Clear out "sibling clutter" and accept your siblings exactly as they are
* Honor your strengths — Celebrate the positive qualities each sibling brings to the relationship...and set the stage for a lifelong connection