5.0 out of 5 stars Misunderstanding!
Published 12 months ago by parry duhart

3.0 out of 5 stars Hours of fun, try months!
I really like this game, but I am a little disapointed in the priceing. You can buy a hard copy of the game on PC for substantially less, but not on MAC. Aside from that, I would say that this is a great game because you can play it over and over again, and as different cultures too.
Published 17 days ago by casual rider

5.0 out of 5 stars Misunderstanding!, July 9, 2013
parry duhart (SPRING LAKE, NC, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sid Meier's Civilization V: A Brave New World (Mac) [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
I ordered this DLC ready to play on the first day of release. I spent 2 hrs trying to install this DLC then decided to call AMAZON. The problem was my original game was bought from the Apple App store and DLC's from Steam are not compatible. The rep. was very helpful and informed me that this product states "for Steam only" in the product description. I'm gonna read descriptions carefully before any future purchases. Very frustrated at first but very happy now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good DLC update, works well on Mac, January 13, 2014
Regarding the software itself:

This version is only compatible with the Steam version of the main Civ 5 game, so you CANNOT use this with the version purchased in the App Store. My household uses both - which should you get? The App Store version runs smoother, but does not allow online play. If you want to battle friends online, you need Steam. This version runs well on my iMac, although the game experience isn't perfect. Playing a friend across the country, we usually experience a glitch once every 90 minutes or so. He's running the same version. None ruin the game, and usually just require a two minute reboot delay.

Regarding the game:

Brave New World seeks to overcome the tedium of late-stage Civilization games. Does it succeed? For the most part, yes. By making a culture race important later in the game, players will find more to do with post-industrial civs, and owning twice the cities of your opponents is no longer an assurance of victory. With additional paths to winning, players will need to focus on more than straight expansion and domination. This does enhance the experience, but with some drawbacks.

The positive with the update is focus on culture, religion and espionage. Updates in this area eliminate...for the most part...reaching a point where you're pumping out every possible building and managing a civ in a manner only slightly more interesting than sorting bags of m&ms into separate colors. Archeologists and artifacts offer a better sense of history, and overall the update better balances the game.

On the down side, warfare takes a diminished role in the late game, with AI civs more likely to seek peace. If you're behind the curve technologically, computer players might pass up a good opportunity to crush you, and if you're ahead you might find them more apt to build missionaries and stadiums than troops to fend of an attack. Modern warfare becomes somewhat lacking - you won't find desolated landscapes teeming with tanks and suffering cities, nor do nuclear weapons wreak the havoc and destruction they would in the real world. A nuclear attack that Germany launched against my Romans hit four major cities, which were cleaned up and back on their feet within ten turns.

Overall this is a worthwhile investment for civ fans. In all honesty, the step from Civ 5 to Civ 5: Brave New World is bigger than the step from 4 to 5 was, redefining a segment of the game that hasn't received much attention since Civ 2. My hope is that Brave New World reveals a trend that will continue with future updates or Civ 6. Until then, BNW stands as the best iteration of this classic game available.

5.0 out of 5 stars solid expansion, August 21, 2013
THis game has cost me alot of hours that I will never get back. It's very entertaining. However, I think my wife will divorce me if I keep ignoring her to play it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great expansion for a great game., October 3, 2013
BNW adds fantastic new civs to the game, and trade routes add a fun new dynamic. Science and economy have recently been rebalanced to make for games that are interesting for longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you bought via Apple's App Store, Update your App, and purchase there!, July 11, 2013
Great update, making the game even more enjoyable, new features as advertised.

As a Mac user who purchased the game on the Apple App Store, I saw the other reviews and got worried we'd have to wait for this expansion. Not the case- simply update your game on the App Store's 'update' option, then you can purchase the expansion for the same price and it will work.

If you bought the game via Steam previously, the amazon option should work for you.

Enjoy crushing your enemies, and hearing the lamentations of their women! Or building culture I guess... :D

31 July, 2013 Update:

After a few runs, I really have to say that this expansion is awesome. The new 'tourism', Ideology and diplomacy features (world congress, proposals...) significantly enhance the game's enjoyment. It's interesting really- at this point the game is where I was hoping it'd be on its initial launch; Gods & Kings got half way there- A Brave New World takes the game across the finish line.

One thing of note- on a marathon game, continents, ancient start era, with 10 Civs- I'm only now developing Railroads at the year 2000AD. Which is weird- I'm the top Civ in terms of culture, military, science, economy... Not sure if it's a dynamic created by the game settings, or if the game had an unusually long dark age or something? Anyone else seen any strange lags- or bursts, of technology like that when compared with actual development here in the real world? I did build a lot of archeologists in the 1900's- maybe I should have pushed science production instead?

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes,, February 20, 2014
I love this game, with BNW I love it even more than vanilla and with Gods and kings. Great. Buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DLC, February 3, 2014
Lives up to the franchise name. A nice add on to the original game. Would buy it again especial during the chrismas sales

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DLC, October 6, 2013
I have to say, this DLC really makes Civ V feel new and better than gods & kings. The changes involved in the diplomatic and cultural victories were significantly better than Gods & Kings expansion. In the previous one, you didn't really have to do anything to win for the cultural victory, it just didn't involve much strategy. However, in this expansion, the cultural influence between nations is important to success and victory in this expansion. The new civs added were a great addition. Overall, the experience was really much better with this expansion than Gods & Kings. I had too many problems with Gods & Kings, even though it was a decent expansion, it just does not compare to the depth that this expansion adds to the overall experience of the game. It is an absolute buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hours of fun, try months!, July 12, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Tools and resources, June 13, 2014
DC (LAS VEGAS, NV, US) - See all my reviews
I chose 5 stars because of availability. Amazon allows my son choices. I'm able to provide him the books the he can refer to perfect his game.

Rate and Discover Movies