Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 26, 2013
They took a beautifully designed game (Civ 4) and made it overly complicated. The result is a game that is not user friendly. It also lacks some very basic features, like being able to stack units during warfare (something my husband, in particular, misses).

The graphics are beautiful, but it's not enough to make up for the vast changes they made that just don't click for us. We'll continue playing Civ 4 instead. Hopefully, when Civ 6 comes out, it will be better!
on March 24, 2014
I could not get the damn thing to load on my computer in order to play the game. It is a worthless piece of junk.
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Civ5 continues the franchise's tradition of keeping me awake until dawn

Early release problems have been ironed out in the "Game of the Year" edition and additional DLC/bonus material is added to the original package. The graphics are so much prettier than Civ4, and the music remains enjoyable-- not tedious, even after hours of listening. The UI has improved, and it's a little easier to avoid getting bogged down in management details, looking for units without orders, and so forth than it was in Civ4.

The game runs easily on my Intel i5 system on Windows7 with a mid-range Nvidia 460 discrete graphics card.

Many of the less favorable reviews here are based on early teething pains-- unfortunately, major software packages don't have the extensive beta period they really need, so almost all major games launch with some initial bugs.

Other problems center around Steam. Steam-style online-DRM schemes are difficult to escape today, so I don't penalize Civ for that either. Keep in mind if you have an earlier edition of Civ in your Steam account, adding this one will just update the first one, not give you the expected "two rights-to-use". Instead you need to set up a second Steam account if you have 2 valid copies of the game-- this problem bit me when I was trying to make it so the GF and I could each play Civ5 at the same time on different computers.

I'm an old-timer in the Civ world, all the way back to the first version (and every version in between). This most recent release is beautiful, playable, and has even drawn my newbie GF into the fold. Recommended.
on July 4, 2014
Steam is a PIA, do not order this game if you are expecting the same great experience you had with the previous versions (1-4). I will be returning my copy ASAP as I have spent the entire day trying to get the game to install properly. I guess I'll stick with Civilization IV and will forget about purchasing any future versions. Sad end to a once great line of games....
on January 29, 2014
I have played 100s of hours of Civ through Civ 4 and was excited about some of the advertised updates in Civ 5 (like hexes finally! and no more stacks of doom, hooray!) but have been thoroughly disappointed.

The city progression is clunky and ill conceived. Empire expansion is really hard to do and actually discouraged in some cases. The graphics in general are very sharp but the new graphic for un-discovered territory (actual clouds/fog) makes my eyes hurt.

Rather than an update/tweak of Civ that provides the same experience, just with improvements, I think that Civ 5 is a very different game from Civ 4. I'd rather take some of the combat improvements (hexes and stacks) and apply them back to Civ 4 and play that. As it is, I'll just keep playing Civ 4.
on January 28, 2016
I was introduced first to Civilization Revolution and have played it daily for the past several years. While I love the game it no longer offers any challenge even on Deity and the computer opponents are simply cheap, predictable, and blatantly cheat (when full armies just inexplicably appear in your territory). Civ Rev is still great but I wanted more. More depth, more growth, more strategy. So I picked up Civ 5. I knew it would be a different game, I expected it and I was excited to get painstakingly complex.

With that said, it's overkill. I've yet to complete a full game, even at the fastest setting. The early game is addicting. You start with a Settler, build your capital, and start exploring. It's exciting as you plunk down your first couple cities, but then it slowly becomes grueling. Everything plays out at a snail's pace, even on the fastest setting. It takes forever to complete the most simple tasks. Then there's the combat which just feels slow and cumbersome. Without being able to stack units on the same tile I just end up with a pile of units all in each others way and undefended. The combat is just one big headache. Slow, clunky, and boring. Then I've reached late game and I'm just over it. It's just building and waiting with a mess of units scattered everywhere. Boring.
on August 20, 2015
This version of Civ V required a STEAM account without any disclosure of that on Amazon. Had I known I would not have purchased in the first place as I am very security conscious. Steam is very intrusive and controlling.....ie you do not have easy options to disconnect steam and it automatically logs you on every time you fire up your PC and have a connection. It even tries to log you on when you are NOT connected!!!

Amazon needs to terminate this products deceptive selling practices
on August 18, 2013
Game is good but does not represent a huge change over previous versions. The biggest change is that one is required to load and keep Steam on one's computer for the game to work. The fine print on the box says it is only required for activation, but the game doesn't work if one removes Steam. Game forums say that turning Steam into Offline mode will make it unobtrusive, but it keeps popping up and recommending that I play with the Steam community, and keeps trying to run updates on a service I don't even want. Stick to Civ 4.
on October 26, 2015
I am now in the middle of a complex, wide-ranging attack with a close order of battle in the late stages of a game. The stupid software in this game insists on jerking me around all over the map with its own ideas about what moves should be scheduled next instead of the ones I want to make to keep track of what I'm doing where. And the moment I do something, it jerks me away to somewhere irrelevant so that I can't gauge effects. In addition, despite the powerful computer on which I'm playing, the time required between turns is exasperatingly long, long, long. In other words, this game is slow, clumsy, and badly ordered as it becomes more complex. I'm very disappointed. I've been routinely playing Civilization games for maybe 25 years, but this might just be the end of it. Dammit.
on December 15, 2014
I purchased the DVD for the PC because I hate Steam's slow, buggy, virus-bringing, constant-update-requiring system.

Turns out I was wrong. You still need a fast (very fast) utterly reliable Net connection, the patience to wait until Steam is available (its certainly not 24/7), more patience while you inevitable are required to download Steam updates, spybots, trackers, and ads, in order to play your game until Steam drops off line or your Net connection flickers for a milli-second. Then you're back to the patience issue.

I've played and enjoyed every version of Civ to date, and I would probably enjoy this one if the game was available. As it is, this is just an opportunity for Steam to dump trackers into your system.

UPDATE: I have managed to play 40 hours of the game off-line. As CIV games go it is a huge improvement; combat is now more than just 'the biggest stack wins'. Cities can defend themselves (some), and the management system is much better. Only one combat unit per hex really alters the game.

The downside is that even with all the updates and patches it is buggy. You have to save, exit, and load the game every twenty turns or so to prevent buttons from stopping working, and even at the best of times the 'open city interface' and similar housekeeping features appear only on the second try. Leonard Nemoy did not do the voice acting which was a massive let down.

The upside is that it is much better than earlier versions while still remaining true to the 'Civ' concept. A huge improvement is that only one combat unit make be in a square or city; gone are the days when a twenty-unit stack would simply juggernaut across all foes. Now force composition, maneuver, and planning come into play.

The buildings are better explained and more dynamic.

In all a great game which would be much better if Steam was not involved.