5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon needs to clear up confusion.
The instructions aren't clear about where to go to download the game. It is a Steam download. If you aren't a steam gamer then I wouldn't recommend purchasing this game until you have familiarized yourself with it. I already had an account, many games and the Steam software so after I figured out that was what the code was for I had no issues.
Published 8 months ago by Riotgirl

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with the amazon downloader software
This review is for the "Online Game Code" purchase not the game itself.
Published 4 months ago by Off Kilter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother with the amazon downloader software, March 9, 2014
This review is from: Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete [Online Game Code] (Software Download)
This review is for the "Online Game Code" purchase not the game itself.
I already owned Civ III and the Conquests expansion pack but managed to misplace the Civ III disc and was unable to re-install the game. I thought I would give the game code option a go since it was only five bucks. I was really hoping to just download the game and install it like I would if I had the disc.

Lessons learned:
- the amazon downloader software is worthless; after multiple failed installs and failed download attempts, I found a way around the downloader software (see below).
- the amazon guidance for this type of purchase is not very good.
- the game is actually supplied via Steam for which you'll need to create an account.
- each time you want to play the game you'll need to log into Steam (or just stay logged in).
- each time you exit the game you will see special offers from Steam (annoying!).

Here are the instructions that I finally found that enabled me to download and play the game:
If you already have a Steam account, please do the following:

Log into your Steam account on the Steam client
In the lower left corner, click “Add A Game...”
Select “Activate a Product on Steam…”
Click “Next…” on the product activation information screen
Click “I Agree…” on the product EULA screen
Enter the product code delivered in your Amazon ‘Your Games & Software Library’; click Next
The game is now ready to download directly from Steam

If you do not already have a Steam account and/or client, please do the following:

In your browser, go to [...]
In the upper left of your window, locate the green “Install Steam” icon; click here
Follow instructions to download and install Steam client
Follow client instructions to create a new account or log into an existing account
Once your account is activated, log into your Steam account on the Steam client
In the lower left corner, click “Add A Game...”
Select “Activate a Product on Steam…”
Click “Next…” on the product activation information screen
Click “I Agree…” on the product EULA screen
The game is now ready to download directly from Steam

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon needs to clear up confusion., October 28, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars it was the right code, September 17, 2013
Great game, code worked. just go to steam.com or something to use it. glad they fixed whatever was the issue

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives code to wrong game, June 3, 2013
This game is great, but sadly I have tried ordering it twice and both times got a code for a game called Axel and Pixel instead of Civ 3. Be careful when buying this.

1.0 out of 5 stars was never able to use it, tried every way, wouldnt go through......Poor buy, March 26, 2014
Never worked. poor buy sorry I got suckered into this one. I should have known better.. oh well live and learn

1.0 out of 5 stars cannot download, March 2, 2014
this game is not compatible with windows 8, do not waste your time paying for it. I will change my review once they update it or refund me

1.0 out of 5 stars dont bother, March 25, 2014
Could not download even following directions. Buy it from Gamefly instead...download works great and price is under five dollars. Much easier directions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed, December 9, 2013
I don't know how good the game is, I can it get it to work in my computer...I am a huge civ fan, so I tried buying civ iii thinking it was a good deal, but it didn't

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS CODE IT WILL NOT LET YOU PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, November 18, 2013
I was not able to get the game to work. I used this code on Steam and it accepted it but when I downloaded the game it would not even open. I am very angry and will never buy a game code again. I wish I could get my money back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paid $1.25 for this game on sale. Then I bought 3 more copies., June 29, 2014
Michael Tyler Ryan (FORT COLLINS, CO, US) - See all my reviews
GIVE IT TO YOUR FRIENDS, LORD KNOWS YOULL NEED TO TEACH THEM THE ART OF ALL OF THIS MANAGEMENT! Turn-based RTS fun for all civilizations, civilized or not... wait, I guess you would need a computer to play it, so civilized. WAIT, modern people can be uncivilized too... S***, what was I reviewing about...?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›