4.0 out of 5 stars Browse your Program Files folder!
Published on October 3, 2011 by Heather

3.0 out of 5 stars Broken Multiplayer
The multiplayer is broke but the single player is great! The patch 3.19 wont install though i went to check updates and it downloads but wont install. Plz tell me how to fix.
Published on July 10, 2012 by laws

4.0 out of 5 stars Browse your Program Files folder!, October 3, 2011
This review is from: Sid Meiers Civilization IV: The Complete Edition [Download] (Software Download)
I too had issues with the game's installation. It seemed to have only downloaded the Colonization expansion, or so I thought. I called Amazon and was asked if I had looked through my Program Files folder yet (I hadn't). When I looked I found a folder called 2k Games, clicked it, then Firaxis Games, clicked it, then saw both Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete and Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization. I clicked the first one listed (Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete) and there you have it! All of the other 3 games included in the pack!
Remember that the type of files you need to click on to load the game(s) are called Applications. You can right click them to Pin them to Start Menu and also to Create a Shortcut on your Desktop.

Hope this helps!

Heather

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant game, great bundle., December 6, 2010
Nocho (Boise, ID USA) - See all my reviews
I was first introduced to Sid Meier's line of strategy games with his Alpha Centauri game, which takes place right where this game leaves off: expedition to space, and colonizing an alien planet. So I found this Earth-based prelude to be quite interesting, and very familiar to use. I kind of question the way they use religion in the game, with only broad categories (the big 5: Buddhism, Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam) where you get bonuses with other like-minded cultures. It kind of ignores the reality that even within those 5 great religions, there were many sects that often did not find peace with each other (take Sunni and Shia Islam for example). But I guess it would have taken too much time to account for all the sects and what not... maybe that's why the role of religion was really scaled back in Civ 5, to just not have to deal with it?

There are many other good reviews of this game on the non-digital download page, so I'll just mention a couple things regarding this digital download... first of all, I must have lucked out, because I snagged this digital download of The Complete Edition just a couple days ago for only $12.99 -- a real steal, even if the game is a few years old now, with Civ 5 out and all. (The price has since jumped back up to $39.99 as I write this review, so not quite as good of deal with it costing roughly the same as Civ 5, although you do get all the expansions.) One issue I had with the installation, was that it never made a program group or icons on the desktop for the games, but that was no big deal, you just have to create shortcuts to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Civilization4.exe

...and...

C:\Program Files (x86)\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Colonization\Colonization.exe

Once you right click and drag those two programs to your desktop (or wherever you keep your games icons) and "Create Shortcuts Here" you can launch right into them by double-clicking the new icons like normal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, January 6, 2011
Skylark-Torch "-Skylark" (North Carolina, East of Raleigh) - See all my reviews
I think this was a great purchase. First off is the awesome Amazon Games Downloader. Using this tool did take four hours to download, but you can download it to as many computers as you want! I have Civ IV complete on my desktop and laptop and have so far had no hassle playing on either system.

Now, to talk about the seperate expansions.

Civ IV: This is the original game, the basic one. In this game you can control a civilization from the dawn of man (stone age) all the way to... well... however long it takes to win! This game features only gameplay on the planet Earth. If you win or lose by any victory, it gives you the option to continue playing until you give up, or your entire civ was destroyed. This is the basis for the expansions.

Civ IV colonization: Drastic reproduction of the game. The earlier Civs were focused on warfare, Colonization is focused on growth. You control either the Spanish, Dutch, or English colonies as they trade goods and prosper. It is a race to see who can break away from the motherland first. Among other features in this game, you can take any citizen out of a city and go found a new one. You can store, load, or manufacture goods and have them shipped wherever you like. You can trade with the motherland for immigrants, goods, or items of warfare.

Civ IV Beyond the Sword: This game is much like the original in many ways of gameplay. Many new concepts are introduced. New mods, new techs, new civics, even random things can happen to you or your city. Ex: "Sire, a wildfire has destroyed many trees around your capitol (Coruscant.) How would you like to continue? 1: Good, I was planning to cut it down anyway (do nothing.) 2: Oh no, that is terrible (fund reforestation efforts. 134 gold) 3: A fire? Who is responsible!? (do something else...)
Included in this game is a mod called Final Frontier. I personally have fallen in love. It is a variation of Civ gameplay that lets you explore the vastness of space. You get a whole new tech tree, new civs, new units, and can colonize star systems. In a star system you can play as if it were a city, but you can build on every individual planet!

Civ IV Warlords: I havent played much, but from what I have seen, new techs, new civs, and a few scenarios are included in this expansion.

I bought this game on sale for $12.99 from Amazon. It was a great buy.
I am very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could give it 6 I would, December 3, 2010
This is the BESTEDEST game ever!!! I clocked over 300 hours playing Civ IV and it is really a jewel of stratagy gaming. Great for multiplier (unlike Civ V). There is no additional copies required for home LAN game as one key seems to activate the game unlimited amount of times (Thank you 2K!). Super balanced and quickly gets you addicted. You may have to join One More Turn Support Group to deal with your addiction, but its worth it. The Collection comes with all of the expansions which I really recommend since they fix some of the unbalances of the original game.

Colonizations is a sad sad game... So think of it as a free something. It is more of a mode then a stand alone game, is poorly tested and has really big issues with balance and routing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Checking Differences, May 1, 2011
I had Civ IV Speacial Edition I couldn't get to work on my Win 64 machine so I downloaded this version hoping it had been updated to work on Win 7. It did work on the Win 7 64 machine. One thing I did notice in the Civ 4 Main game there arent any Wonder Movies when they are made and the interface if different. Maybe I am missing a setting. So far it it working though and that is what I was looking for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good games and good price, November 11, 2012
Dale (United States) - See all my reviews
Save yourself some money and pass up Civilization V. This Civ IV bundle has everything you need. It's a much better game than Civ V, and it comes with the two expansions and Colonization.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad I got this, July 20, 2011
So I was playing Age of Empires with my wife who has been extra open minded and trying things I like recently, and while she had fun, she said that she mainly enjoyed the part of the game where you build things, but not the war aspect. After searching for the best option on the internet, it seemed like the Civilization series would allow us both to play to our strengths while working together/coexisting.

I chose Civ 4 over Civ 5 after reading how Civ 5 is a more streamlined and has a greater focus on combat, but Civ 4 has superior gameplay as far as diplomacy and cultural development go. I liked how it was possible to win with just a few very culturally advanced and peaceful cities as opposed to continuous warmongering. When I bought Civ 4 (2 days ago) it cost $16, and now it's up to $24 while the price of Civ 5 seems to be dropping over time (from $40ish to $30 now). Keeping in mind that Civ 4 comes with expansions and has a plethora of modifications available from a very dedicated community, it seems to be a superior bargain.

With that in mind, I was excited to play, and I wanted to play that very day. It was awesome to find it available for download here on Amazon, but several of the negative reviews made it seem like it was super risky; apparently they only received portions of the game and its expansions, but not all? In my opinion, the complaints are strange because when you download a file, the download window indicates how large the file is. If the file downloaded was NOT 3.07 GB, then that's definitely the seller's fault for distributing an incomplete product...if the unhappy buyers' computers did download all 3.07 GB, then this product probably received some unfair reviews. For me, using Windows XP and cheap-ish comcast internet in Connecticut, the download worked perfectly and took roughly 2 hours total to download Civ 4 and its expansions.

If any future buyers are interested, there is a modification available to the game that leaves gameplay unchanged, but replaces the maps with beautiful maps from the NASA Blue Marble Imagery project, gives each civilization's units unique appearances, and some other adjustments that seem worthwhile for an EXTRA satisfying experience.

Here's a link to the download:
[...]

Overall in the first two days I've played Civ 4 for roughly 10 hours. It's quite difficult to win which is a plus for me, and the AI is impressive. Civ 4 is VERY slow paced; if you're used to Age of Empires and Starcraft, Civ 4 has a completely different flavor. This game will probably have good replay value; there are a hefty variety of strategies, maps, civilizations, units, etc. Although each game takes 3-5 hours, it is turn based and easy to stop and continue later if something comes up.

Summary: the download worked perfectly, it's addictively fun (for certain personality types), there are lots of free mods that will make it extra fun...this purchase was an excellent value for the $

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game for passiing time, November 14, 2012
Charles A. Jahrling "Striker" (St Petersburg, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
Enjoy playing - takes hours depending on setting but can save game in play and return another time to finish

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, October 19, 2012
Civ 4 is probably my favorite civ especially beyond the sword expansion. it has the many options that all civ users want and crave

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bargain for a great game., October 17, 2012
Douglas Berry (Santa Clara, CA USA) - See all my reviews
After being thoroughly disappointed by Civ V, I wanted to go back to Civ IV. However, my disks had vanished in a move. So I downloaded The Complete Edition. Great decision. Getting all the sub games and mods in one package and having everything right on the hard drive makes for a fantastic gaming experience. Well worth the money.