Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Showing 1-6 of 6 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on February 22, 2014
I wanted to like this game, but it just didn't stand up next to Civ III. It seemed to favor graphical sophistication over depth of strategy.
on December 7, 2009
I'm glad I waited to buy this one used because it's certainly not worth the original asking price.

First off, if you've played Civ 3, you've already seen everything fun about Civ 4. If you got bored of Civ 3 and stopped playing, you will find yourself bored during your first game.

Secondly, it just feels incredibly slow and boring. Cities take thousands of years to grow to a decent size, the AI makes no sense, the maps and interface are clunky, etc.

Thirdly, and this is a pet peave of mine- the music is terrible. It's just amazingly terrible. It actually sounds like there are wrong notes all over the place, and they just layer different musics with no regard to pitch or tonality.

This will be the last Civ I buy unless they completely rework it. Not at all worth the upgrade.
on June 6, 2009
I have Civ 4 and some expansions running under Win XP and I seldom finish games becase they crash leaving a 16 color lo res screen.

The game is still fun and I find it addictive but I don't see many improvments over past versions. The graphics are different. I do like the increase in wonders and other special projects. I find religon a marginal improvment and is often a distraction.

Many of the past short comming have not be addressed such as the early part of the game goes too fast. I often have new units obslete by the time they are built and put into the field. I also find that the game is too easy or too hard. Either I dominate the game or I get killed. Other countries will only go to war when they become a real threat.

I find the interfaces rather confusing and not as clears as past verisons of the game.

I do like the fact that they got rid of pollution which was a way to really make the end of the game drag and get overly tedious.

We have had four versions and it is essentially the same game. The combat system is basically the same where units fight units and in history most battles were armies vs armies. I would suggest looking to Empires in Arms as for some ideas for a new combat sytem.

I find resouces a bit simple, a single oil space can supply the whole empire. I often have single horse units wanter for thousands of years with no resupply or new people.

I would higly recomend reading from Sumer to Rome a book on ancient warfare before the next version is realeased. Any future additions will have to have simpler graphics and some actual revamping of the game rules. Combat and logistics could most use an update.
on April 14, 2009
I've played all incarnations of the Civ game and I really have to say that they never change. They never improve. They never evolve. This game might have been fun 10 years ago, but now its just a boring, nonsensical waste of time and money. So disappointing. Civ 2 was a better, funner game by far.
on January 3, 2009
I am a Monarch-ranked Civ III player and have played quite a few of the mods with pleasure. So I was very excited to move up to Civ IV but find the game unplayable. People play Civilization games for the strategic thought required - not for the visual stimulation. With that said, my PC is an average 2007 work house and Civ IV runs terrible. It is slow. I often have to have a book or magazine with me to distract myself while I wait between 45 and 90 seconds between turns. And the game randomly crashes. OK, I could probably surf the forums and get a debug solution, but I that just takes away frommy gaming time, and since I have a day job... let's just say I would rather use my limited time surf forums looking for mods and cheats, not fixes to software that crashes regularly.
That said, the AI seems to be slightly more sophisticated in Civ IV. I am hoping that some extremely clever Civilization player finds some way to create either a Civ III mod that makes the AI more Civ-IV-like but with Civ III graphics or vice versa. I wonder if this is even possible... I shouldn't have to replace my PC just to be able to play this game.
on March 29, 2008
i loved playing civilization when i was a kid but omg all this time has passed and instead of using the technology they really moved back in time. the scenario in this game is so awfull that there is no way you can enjoy it. There are not a lot of improvements and the game is very stupid! definatly not worth the money. go buy age of empires, at least they have improved their games alittle