4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent transition
The good:
- One of the most addicting games of all times makes its way to Xbox and the transition is very smooth. While this version has been re-written specially for consoles, it does keep most of the original gameplay. If you haven't done this already, download the demo and see for yourselves what this is all about.
- The game has 5 difficulty settings. For...
Published on July 10, 2008 by DM

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the PC version
Well, I'm not going to say all of the same stuff as the other reviewers, most of which I agreed with.

I did want to add a few comments, tho.

Published on July 15, 2008 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent transition, July 10, 2008
DM (Chicago, USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution - Xbox 360 (Greatest Hits) (Video Game)
The good:
- The game has 5 difficulty settings. For those of you that had trouble beating the demo - worry not. The easiest setting is extremely easy - unlike it was in the demo.
- All 16 civilizations are available right from the start. You can select any of them and play through skirmish missions, Game of the Week or a set of modified skirmishes. This last one has around 10-15 'missions' where the Skirmish rules have been changed. For example - on one map there are more and tougher barbarians, on other there is no diplomacy, etc. Game of the Week is being updated every Sunday and will allow you to play against the AI, in same exact conditions as all other XBox Live players. Then - you will be able to see your rank versus other players in the world.
- The version of the game that I bought includes a free 'wonders' code, to be used for downloading extra wonders. Did not try it yet, so do not know yet what is included.
- Graphics are excellent - a bit cartoonish, but perfect for the gameplay. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable improvement over the graphics from the demo, so what you see in the demo is what you will get.
- The Manual is excellent. Gives a lot of detail and covers all the info you need. If you play on Easiest setting, the game will also act like a Tutorial, which is helpful, if you have never played this before.

The bad:
- You have no control over skirmishes. Basically, all maps are randomly generated - which is great, because you never get to play the same map. However - if you want to select map size, number of players, individual difficulty for AI players - this is not possible.
- I was hoping the game will have a Campaign, that you can play with your favorite Civilization. There is none. This being the case - not sure how long will it take for the fun to wear out.
- There is a lot of slowdown when the camera has to pan on longer distances. Not sure why - the Xbox 360 demo did not have these issues. It's not unplayable, but it gets annoying after a while.
- There isn't enough diversity between the civilizations. Each civilization has some special units, but there isn't enough of them. Most of the time, you will play with same units.

Overall: if you are new to this or unsure - try the demo. Otherwise - give this game a try. Despite some minor annoyances, it's definitely worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Civilization now more civilized, July 10, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is the Civilization I have been waiting for! I have played through a full campaign and I have to say I love it. I love not having to build every road and micromanaging every square. They left all the good parts in but removed the tasks that became mundane towards the end of the other Civ titles.

It has the same technology trees as the other civ games so if you are familiar with them you will catch on quickly.

Multiplayer games now finish in 2-4 hours instead of 12 hours like the previous iterations of this franchise.

If you enjoyed Civ but were longing for faster game play this is the game for you.

This is what every turned based strategy war game should strive for.

the only problem I had with the game was the advisor and enemy animations were annoying to me at first but after the tutorial guy went away the other advisors kind of grew on me.

If world domination is a goal of yours and you don't think your current career track is going to get you there I highly recommend this game as the next closest thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Console Strategy Game Done Right, December 11, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is different. It is not the same as regular Civilization and it is not like any other console RTS out there. This game uses a very simplified version of Civilization and mixes it with some RTS elements. The game is simplified. And if you can't handle that it you mine as well just go play some Civ4. BUT, If you had a hard time getting into any of the Civ games but always held a great interest this is THE game for you.

In it's simplification Civilization Revolution holds a certain chess like aspect to it. When you move one of your warriors to the wrong place in a difficult match you'll end up wishing for a redo button. Every move counts on the harder difficulties.

Other awesome parts of this game includes the achievements, the colorful graphics, and the many different choices of leaders. Some problems include that the game can occasionally be off-puting when you play a 3 hour game and lose AND get no achievements. But often I learned from my mistakes and that did not happen to often.

Overall this game is well worth the five stars and easily worth the $37 dollar price tag Amazon has on it right now. If you're looking for a great strategy game, do not pass this one up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the PC version, July 15, 2008
Amazon Customer (Cottage Grove, OR) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars

I did want to add a few comments, tho.

I did not agree the the game was horribly slow. The speed was just fine for me while maneuvering around the screen and I felt that if the panning across the screen had gotten any faster, I would have lost track of where I was. Occassionally, as it was going from the map view to another view, it would hang up a little bit, and that was mildly irritating, but it wasn't bad enough to say the game speed was horrendous. It just wasn't up to expectations.

I didn't think the graphics were that bad. They weren't high end, tho. What I was most disappointed by was how close I could zoom in. The controller lets you pull up a little higher, but no zooming in really close.

I wasn't a big fan of the navigation in the civilopedia. It wasn't horrible, but it also wasn't the fastest experience trying to find information.

I kind of missed the little workers. That surprised me.

And I REALLY missed the musical score I am used to hearing in the background. I turned down the volume on the advisors since the gibberish they talk got to be ridiculous, but all I heard after that was some of the sounds from the cities (production noises). I wondered at the lack of music. It really lowered the fun value to not have it there.

The navigation took a little while to get used to. Once I got it, it flowed fine.

What I really missed was the little cheater blue circles that showed the ideal place to put your cities. It makes it a little harder to decide where to put them. Kind of a bummer.

And near the end, the advisors showed up every two seconds to tell me how I could win the game (by doing this or that) and if I didn't do what they asked, they wouldn't stop showing up. That got to be a bit ridiculous.

Anyway, if you are a hardcore fan of civ, you probably won't be very excited by this version. It is REALLY pared down. There were little differences everywhere, but not big enough to warrant a $60 purchase. I think this is a good game if you want to play a quick civ game. But you might want to reconsider if not. I'll still play it, tho, since my pc version always freezes up on me. I just hope that they make some serious improvements in future versions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Civ Rev = AMAZING!, August 31, 2009
Army Wife_2010 (Fort Gordon, US Army) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I've spent countless hours playing this game. If my girl had it her way, Sid Meier would be imprisoned for making this time consuming, attention stealing masterpiece!

Be sure to download Civ Rev to your 360 hard drive because your will wear the disc RTFO!

4.0 out of 5 stars A console version... not a NEW civ game... I LOVED IT!!!!, July 13, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Apparently some of these reviewers thought this was gonna be some new and improved or completely original take on Sid Meier's civ games. No. This is a console version of a great PC game. As such one has to expect some differences. That doesn't mean, however, that this game doesn't include all the aspects that make up a CIV game. But I would say, if you like the computer version stick to that, if you're looking for something a little different, read on.

To answer another reviewers question, "Why was this game made?"

As someone who always found Civilization games extremely massive, confusing, time-consuming, difficult to navigate, and impossible to grasp completely - THIS IS OUR SALVATION!!!! All the fun of the Civilization franchise in a simple, intuitive, easy to learn, addictive, and yet still complex console game. The graphics are beautiful (in the civilization's own cartoony way), the game has tons of replay-ability, and the setup/interface is so well designed that I actually quickly learned about elements of the game that I never even realized were a part of the old pc versions.

In my opinion... it's the way the Civilization games should have been designed since the very beginning.

*Just make sure to go into the options menu and mute the voices of your advisors and world leaders who talk in nothing but gibberish or you'll soon find yourself yelling profanities at your television set* =)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game. A must have if you like strategy games., December 2, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Civilization on a console. Sorta left a bad taste in my mouth when I first said it. I really thought it was going to be a dumbed down easy port that would let down anyone who's played the original series. To my suprise however this game makes a very smooth transition to consoles. The smaller scale that made me think this game would be "dumbed down" actually makes it more challenging because you have to really compete for resources. The A.I. is good like in any other Civ game, they'll really kick your butt on higher difficulty levels. This is a really cool game that anyone can play because of the various difficulty levels. The cartoony look works really well. The other Civs you can encounter are often times pretty funny. The only things I have against it are you can't play against your friends one-on-one (there always has to be a total of six Civs), there's really not that good of a diplomacy option, and you can't play someone else at all on the same console. Other than that a great game that anyone can enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really awesome strategy game., September 24, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game isn't about a story line. It's about strategy and lot's of it. It's about as straight forward as you can get. The Easy mode is what I'd suggest for people who want to either get acquainted with strategy games or just not think, but still play this genre of game. It gets harder only a reasonable amount as you go up in difficulty. There is no split screen, but you can easily connect online to somebody for a head to head match. All the fun facts that are in the game a pretty good bonus I'd say. You don't need to know the history behind the things, but it's just enough information to remain interesting. Overall, you really can't go wrong with this game unless you're going for achievements and you are really horrible at strategy games. Maybe the worst part is that you can spend hours on the game and not notice it. lol

3.0 out of 5 stars It Was Fun For a Few Hours, July 28, 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I'll admit from the start that I'm more a fan of real-time strategy games. But since RTS games on consoles still haven't measured up to PC performance, I decided to give this game a rent. I'm glad I only spent $8 instead of $60!

It's a GOOD game - I had fun playing it... ...the first few times. After that it became very repetitive and I felt it growing old very quickly. In just one week of renting the game, I beat a game with every civilization (there are 16 if I recall) and won a game via every available method - Conquest, Technological, Financial, and Cultural. I finally reverted to the "lightning round" scenario games which only lasted about 15 minutes each.

I found that the maps - essentially a globe - were often very tight spaces and made expansion difficult to control. It was often challenging enough to find ROOM to place a city, nevermind finding good placement for producing various resources. This wasn't always an issue, but seemed to be the case more often than not.

The gibberish from the "assistants" quickly became annoying. I don't understand how, with gaming as advanced as it is today, characters can't TALK to us. My car talks to me, for crying out loud.

The end of each game is where things became the most frustrating. Often times I would simply be riding from turn to turn, trying to let every possible "great person" appear before time ran out. I would have 10-15 cities, each with every possible building upgrade. Yet every turn, I would be asked "What do you want to build in [city name.]" I didn't want to build anything! And to make matters worse, if you would start building a unit, there was no way to end production of that unit. The only option was to build a wonder, which would then complete the game. Furthermore, if the city builds a building and then you give it no additional item to build, it will store your production credits. Later, when you decide you want ONE military unit, it'll use all of it's stored production credits and build as many units as those credits will allow. One time, I tried to build ONE spy in a city that had been dormant for many turns - it built 57 of them!! This forced me to sit for a few minutes selling 56 of them back for gold credits.

The biggest downfall to Civ-Rev is a limited range of reuse. Yes there are 4 methods to victory and 16 different civilizations. There are also different scenarious that may place bigger emphasis on fighting Barbarians, or using naval strategy - even one that places you on a different planet and replaces Barbarians with Aliens. These give you a different look to things, but the game still plays the same. The only challenges left at that point are earning Xbox achievements, and some of them - such as winning each victory type in Deity difficulty (the hardest of 5 difficulties) can be downright impossible to some.

Some other quick notes - you can scroll quicker using the right stick - select a unit, right-stick scroll to where you want it to move, then just use the left stick to select the specific "tile" you want it to travel to. The lack of a better zoom in OR out was annoying. Yes you can zoom out, but not by much, and it is tediously slow. The ability to rush construction of units or buildings was helpful, as was the ability to cease production of a building and convert those credits to a unit. That came in especially helpful when an army would show up at my door and I had no defending units.

Give it a rent and have fun with it. But only those desperate to conquer the world with a console controller in their hands should consider this a needed purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Old School Civ Just Like You Remember, July 14, 2008
Paul P. Rodriguez (Silver Spring, MD United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
If you remember being in your dorm room for 24 hours straight saying "just one more turn", this game is going to hurt your social life, family life, romantic life, and probably your health from lack of sleep and food. If you've been following the Civ series as it's gotten ever more complex graphically and play-wise, then you may want to skip this (unless you think the multiplayer options will appeal to you).

This game does have poor graphics and simplified play, but it completely takes me back to the 90s with addicting gameplay. The advisors are annoying, etc. etc. All the critiques are basically spot-on. For me though, never having a PC that could run a modern Civ game appropriately, this game is flat-out fantastic. It's (relatively) fast-paced and features workable multiplayer, along with "games of the week" that allow you to play the same map as others and gauge your abilities. But most of all, it's just really fun. The lower levels are obviously too easy, but the higher levels provide a decent challenge.

Not for everyone due to the shortcomings, but overall an awesome experience for non-PC Civ players. If you love the XBox Live game Settlers of Catan, you're going to eat this up.

Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution - Xbox 360 (Greatest Hits)
$19.99 $18.89