Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Side By Side: Activity Workbook 2, Third Edition (bk. 2)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 22, 2013
Like Book 1 in this series, this book is very detailed and provides for a lot of practice in reading, writing, and the interplay of conversation. The colored pictures help make the lesson objective clear as well as entertaining. Because it is written in English and because there are more examples than written English rules, it is perfect for a class format (not so much for home study). There are many opportunities for conversation, especially in comparision of cultures. Great book.
on November 10, 2011
It's not the perfect method, but it's better than most. I love that almost every new vocabulary has images, it is easier to explain. The formulas are very simple and the drills are excellent but sometimes too repetitive. Overall it gets the job done in a very simple easy to use manner. Side by side in my opinion is one of the best English learning methods.
on June 8, 2015
This Side by Side series has been around a long time. they are by far the best books to help adults and young people develop their conversation skills. I use it with all of my students. I always supplement with a grammar book for charts and explanations, but I believe the philosophy behind the authors not including the grammar rules is that becoming conversant in a language is more important than understanding the rules behind the grammar. The workbooks is an excellent supplement to the textbook.
on April 3, 2016
I love this series. I use this in my classroom and it helps create authentic conversation with my students. I combine this book with another to make up for the things it lacks. But it is definitely a good start for an adult ESL classroom.
on May 30, 2015
This book is best for private lessons of one teacher and one (or less than 5) students. For me, the name of the book suggests the teaching method. I sit side by side with my student and we work through the exercises together. Other books introduce the material, present some exercises, and go on to the next lesson. This one includes extensive practice exercises, which really helps students being exposed to these grammar forms for the first time.
on October 11, 2013
This book is helpful for everyday conversation practice. The downside is that some students have asked me if the book is intended for children. I think this may be due to the illustrations. It would be nice to have the same book with less cartoon-like illustration for adult learners of English. All things considered, it is one of the most frequently used books by our students.
on December 25, 2008
Purchased this among others to help my mom with her ESL classes. I used the same material about 20 y ago. It helps her as it helped me.
on August 7, 2009
I have been unfortunate enough to be forced to use this book several times in my teaching career, which spans 20 years. I cannot understand why this book is so popular. It's utterly dreadful. The only reason I give it 2 stars instead of 1 is because there are books that are worse. Here's why I despise this series.

The #1 reason is that it is page after page of horribly fake conversations that students are supposed to practice over and over...what is known as substitution drills. I suppose if you like substitution drills, this book may appeal to you. There is a place for such drills but this book overdoes them; in fact, that's the main focus of the book. You take a grammatical structure and practice the same conversation using it about a dozen times, just changing a few words each time. It gets boring very fast. But worse yet, the conversations themselves are so terribly unnatural. I only use these books because I'm forced to, but I'm embarrassed to even present such garbage to them. I try to add some more natural expressions where I can, but the whole structure of repeating the same conversation over and over is in itself problematic to me. Unless you have the students memorize the whole conversation, they end up reading from the book. And what's the point of memorizing any conversation? No two conversations are alike. So basically they end up reading conversations and substituting words. I don't see why this appeals to teachers.

The book has some listening passages too. The listening passages are as unnatural--even embarrassingly corny--as the printed conversations. The topics are dull. There are no topics in here that really draw the students in with something new and interesting to learn, or something with any kind of suspense or humor. Nothing is natural; it is all horribly contrived both in content and topic.

Text series that I do like are Cambridge's Touchstone series and Oxford's American English File series. Both of them have much more natural English, both in the listening and the practicing, have more interesting topics, and more variety in presentation. There is no need to make students suffer through this horrible series of boring topics, repetition so extreme as to cause boredom that borders on insanity, and ridiculously unnatural language. Avoid this series.
on August 30, 2013
I totally recommend this book whoever have English as their second language like me, the book came in really good condition, its very educational I love it and the best part, has most important and useful skills of English(?) in this book the pictures are very cute, I totally loved it and you should buy this book for sure if your struggling with English.
on October 24, 2013
This book has been very benefical for my student to strenghtheir language skills. They enjoyed may of the chapters in the book.