5.0 out of 5 stars L Starr
I remember listening to Lucille Starr in the 60s, and for so long I have tried to get the album and then recently I just typed in Lucille Starr and voila, I now have my cd and with millions of sentimental memories and to this day I still adore her music, so now I can continue to listen to those golden days when Lucille started out.

Thanks Amazon for re-erupting...
Published on October 13, 2005 by K. Kenny

2.0 out of 5 stars lucille starr
Not the same ethos as "The French Song" nevertheless thankful to Amazon that it was available
Published on October 7, 2009 by Jh Munn

5.0 out of 5 stars L Starr, October 13, 2005
This review is from: Side by Side: Pop and Country/Lonely Street (Audio CD)

Thanks Amazon for re-erupting my youth with this awsome cd of Lucille Starr.

Keith

4.0 out of 5 stars FINAL NASHVILLE DUETS, AND SOLO STARR, February 24, 2014
This review is from: Side by Side: Pop and Country/Lonely Street (Audio CD)
This reissue of historic country-pop material is now itself historic, as minuscule CD sales evidently warranted letting it go OP. Lucille Starr product is scarce in any medium, not least CD, and her classic duets with Bob Regan even scarcer. The coupling is logical: the two consecutive Nashville albums plus bonus solo tracks, all linked by the A/R guidance of Billy Sherrill just before his discovery of Tammy Wynette.

I expected to prefer Lucille's solos here but was wrong. The material is not always a good fit (Starr frequently sounds like she's doing a Wanda Jackson studio sightread), Sherrill is unsure about what to do with a yodeling Canadian country diva, and clearly Starr's talent and wide vibrato were simply too large for mid-Sixties Nashville. She cannot have been musically happy there.

The duets are way better and more consistent. The team's long experience finally paid off. After their American debut album on A&M (a small masterpiece of really cheesy, naive honkytonk) and their earlier rockabilly sides for obscure American regional labels, here the pop duets work like a charm, and Sherrill seems more assured and comfortable controlling their naturally blended voices than with the northwoods belter alone. (Thirty rockabilly, and hard country from the A&M debut, sides are included on Hydra's essential CANADIAN SWEETHEARTS: EENY MEENY MINEY MOE.)

The digital sound is disappointing, carelessly mastered with some fuzziness and even distortion, particularly damaging to Lucille's huge voice. One misses the warmth and mellowness of the original vinyls (somehow, the Sweethearts always seemed like artists who really belonged on vinyl).

2.0 out of 5 stars lucille starr, October 7, 2009