Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 4, 1998
This book was first read to me in the first grade. I am now in 8th, and have read it at least a million times. It is a hillarious book that can help kids see how everyone is different. Besides that, it's just so darn funny. I have read many books by Louis Sachar, and in my opinion he is the best author ever.
on July 4, 2001
It opens with children-turned apples turning their teacher, Mrs. Gorf, into an apple and giving her to their gym teacher, Louis (the author) to eat.
Need I say more?
This book is hilarious. I could just see kids I know going to a school thirty stories tall, with a classroom on each side, struggling through torturous mosquito bites, a teacher who thinks you're a monkey, and all sorts of kooky and downright hilarious characters. I could read this over and over. It is so realistic, yet oh so spacy.
I first read this book when I was about seven or eight. I have read it over and over with each of my five younger siblings and it gets funnier each time. Sachar has a way of appealing to all audiences.
Parents, the Wayside school series is the easiest way to get boob-tube obsessed kids to read a good book for a change.
And it is a good book!
on November 6, 2006
I am an adult and I really enjoyed this book. It is basically a quirky book with a very short story for each of the students in one particular class, plus the two teachers. (The first teacher is mean and comes to a funny demise.) So there are thirty short stories.

It is silly humor. For example, the mean teacher turns the students into apples, a girl tries to sell her toes (unsuccessfully), a dead rat disguises itself as a student, and so on.

Warning: The humor is black humor, but hilarious. So you may want to pre-read this book to see if it is appropriate for your child. But despite being black humor, everything ends well and for the best, sort of like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Junie B. Jones. This is not a "sweet" book, but it is fun!
VINE VOICEon July 8, 2004
I recently dug this book out from beneath a lot of my childhood stuff. My dad read it to me when I was just a little kid; at 18, I just reread it, and enjoyed it as much, if not more so--because now I could read between the lines.
Thirty chapters. Each one is like a fable--an entertaining story, a nugget of truth woven into the fabric of each one. Peer pressure, politeness, standing up for yourself...sometimes the lessons are direct, sometimes they are subtle. Maybe kids won't understand them exactly, but they'll certainly remember the stories and remember the lessons thus.
The story:
There is something very wrong with Wayside School. It was built sideways--instead of one story with 30 rooms, is has 30 stories and one room per story. No nineteenth story, though, meaning that Miss Zarves, who teaches there, doesn't exist, either.
At Wayside, students have the tendency to get turned into apples; those pesky dead rats, who live in the basement, are always trying to get into class; sleeping through class is considered educational; turning the lights on and off is a task not just anyone can do; you can help yourself to ice cream with the flavor of your fellow students, but please refrain from biting your classmates; the lunch lady just can't ruin milk, no matter how hard she tries; mosquito bites are great for counting purposes; your two missing teeth are the best in the whole world, as are the hat you aren't wearing and the joke you didn't tell; only being able to read upside down ain't much of a problem, after all; where toes cost a nickel apiece, unless they're little runts; trading names consists of spinning around really fast until you don't know who's who; if two plus two doesn't equal four, watch out; and where you need a reason to be sad, but not to be happy.
"Sideways Stories From Wayside School" by Lous Sachar is a classic. Buy it, for your kid, your sibling, your niece/nephew, or yourself. It's entertaing for all ages, and just might help its reader become a better person.
on May 8, 2005
Do you like laughing? If you do this is the book for you! Louis Sachar did a fabulous job writing this book. He must have one crazy imagination. All the characters in the book all have one special "trait." Like for example a boy named Sam, who was new to the class came in on his first day with 25 jackets on! As the teacher, Ms. Jewls kept taking off each jacket he got smellier and smellier n you have to read the book to find out what happens when she takes of the last jacket.

Wayside School is a crazy school which was supposed to be built as one story with 30 classes but when they were done it turned out they made it as 30 stories high and 1 class on each story. The book only talked about the class on the 30th floor, which is at first is Mrs. Gorf class. Something special happens to Mrs. Gorf so they get another teacher named Mrs. Jewls.

Each chapter is based on one student in the class. It is like a day in the life of what ever the boy or girls name is. They all have a problem that goes on and it mostly ends up with Louis, the Yard Duty helping them their problem. So if you like silly books that you can luah to, this is the perfect book for you.
on February 10, 2016
This book came highly recommended by everyone I know. I bought it for my reading-shy 8 year old for Christmas. Not only did he read it, but my 11 year old and 6 year old also enjoyed it. He got the series for his birthday and it was one of the presents that he was most excited about.
on January 13, 2015
It would be impossible to overstate how much I love this book. Incredibly clever and humorous, it is up there at the top of my childhood memories. I bought this for my nephew, opened the package in the car, opened the book just to flip through, and ended up reading a couple of chapters on the way to our destination. It was still just as entertaining as when I was younger. Louis Sachar is such a talented writer, and I have loved every book of his I have ever read, but the Wayside School books have an incredibly special place in my heart.
on July 30, 2015
My 8 year old loves the Wayside School books. She thinks they are hysterical. They are an easy read and the good thing is that the chapters are short (stories in themselves) so that she can just read one if she has the time. She started watching the Wayside School television series too and really enjoys that as well.
on March 22, 1999
It is very funny. I like this book because it is funny and it is about people that are weird.One of my favorite is Mrs.jewles. Mrs.jewles is the new teacher because Mrs.gorf mysteriously dissipears.Well she thought the kids where talking monkeys.The werds wernt hard and the chapters wer very easy.Another funny chapter is calven. Calven gets a note from mrs.jewels to give to mrs. Zarves but there is no Mrs. Zarves so he wanders up and down the stairs.There is a chapter called marica. It is very funny. I recomend you read this book soon. It is very funny.
on March 28, 2016
My third graders are loving this book and so am I. We are on chapter 6 and it's great. When I'm done with reading it aloud to my class, I'm going to read it to my daughter because she has a great sense of humor. Great buy!