4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best options
Published on September 9, 2011 by G. Dunbar

1.0 out of 5 stars ZERO stars
If you enjoy headaches I highly recommend this device and Sprint service! If you don't enjoy headaches, do yourself a favor and stay away.

Published on August 10, 2011 by Susan

1.0 out of 5 stars ZERO stars, August 10, 2011
This review is from: Sprint Sierra Wireless Overdrive Pro SWAC802 Mobile Hotspot - 3G/4G, GPS, Memory Card Slot (Accessory)

We signed up for a two year contract because we had 30 days to try the service out and if we didn't like it, we would get all our money back...or so the Sprint guy said. The story is, we ended up with a lemon device. The stupid thing wouldn't charge the battery while plugged into the outlet and in use, it would overheat when in use too long solely using the battery and become unusable for about four hours. We talked to the Sprint sale rep about this problem and their solution was, charge the battery at night and shut it off every time we are done using it with the battery. OK, we decided to give it a try. Oops, forgot to charge the battery at night, and it takes about two minutes for the pathetic device to load up every time we needed it when out and about. That may not seem long but when you need the info NOW because you are driving...well, we exchanged the lemon for a "working" device. The new one couldn't stay in 4G, it would flip to 3G in my home which is in a full 4G area. Both devices at least once a day dropped the internet and had to restart which sometimes took over ten minutes for the little thing to do because it couldn't find service. I live in Cleveland. We are completely 4G powered in this area. We finally had it with all the hassle and returned everything to get all our money back...oh, wait, since we exchanged a broken device for a "working" device they wouldn't give us back our $45 that we paid for the broken one. We proud owners of a Sprint Sierra Wireless Overdrive Mobile Hotspot with no service! We're not done though, we'll be contacting Sprint because we read our contract and there is nothing about not getting our money back because of an exchange.

Sprint away from Sprint.

1.0 out of 5 stars A unique, but tiresome mobile gaming device, January 19, 2012
Sprint and Sierra Wireless teamed together to produce this unique gaming experience where users must solve seemingly simple puzzles in order to use their wireless internet devices on the go. Discovering what the games are is part of the fun, so if you do not want to see SPOILERS, stop reading now!

Puzzle One: The first puzzle you have to solve is the "Is it On?" puzzle. There is no actual power indicator, only an LED screen that displays information when the device is plugged in whether the device is on or not. The Overdrive takes a frustratingly long time to boot up so you may want to wait a while before doing anything. There is only one button which you have to push to view what is on the screen. Careful, if you push the button and the device is on you may end up turning it off!

Puzzle solution: The solution to this puzzle is to unplug the Overdrive, remove the battery, then put the battery back in and turn it on.

Puzzle Two: The second, but easier puzzle is the "Is it Off?" puzzle. Similar to Puzzle One, this puzzle is tricky because while trying to determine if the device is off you are likely to actually turn it on. The punishment for failing this puzzle is more severe because the Overdrive will get very hot in your briefcase (hence the name) and the battery will be dead the next time you try to use it.

Puzzle solution: The solution to this puzzle is to unplug the Overdrive, remove the battery, then put the battery back in and try not to turn it on.

Puzzle Three: The third, most challenging puzzle is the "Will it Connect?" puzzle. Whoever designed this puzzle was an evil genius. The Overdrive's lag is what makes this puzzle such a challenge and this puzzle can start at any time. You will recognize this puzzle because there will be a message on the LCD saying that the Overdrive has found a network and telling you to push the button if you want to connect. Any time you push the button you have to wait several seconds before the device will react. Plus, there is always the danger that you will turn the Overdrive off which means you may end up back in the "Is it On?" puzzle without realizing it!

Puzzle Four: The final puzzle is a hidden puzzle but it is not all that hard to find. It is the "Why in the Heck Did I Buy This Thing?" puzzle. You have to solve the first three puzzles before you are presented with this challenge and there appears to be no solution if you bought the Overdrive with the two year contract.

My advice is to stay away from this product. Instead, I recommend The Perplexing X in a Box. It will provide you with the same amount of enjoyment and only slightly less network connectivity.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty but junk, October 18, 2011
Edwin (Dade City, FL, United States) - See all my reviews
The pieces came in plastic bags in a padded envelope. I would have thought the unit would have came in a Sprint box as it was suppose to be new. The AC charger would not charge the unit so I switched to the USB charger and achieved a 50% charge before that quite working. I was never able to get it set up and returned everything for a refund.

If it sounds to good to be true it probably is. Stay away from this item.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best options, September 9, 2011
I've been using 3g data cards and more recently mobile hotspots as a business traveler for 5 years. I've had this device for about 6 months now and it's been one of the best that I've owned. I'm not going to take the spotty network coverage into account when reviewing the product, although I'll admit that the Sprint/Clear network does have some pretty big gaps and speeds are not what they advertise.

Pros:
Solid connection, if in good coverage area
Full USB support, ethernet, serial, & NMEA ports
Awesome firmware, you can control every aspect of how the device operates (Many hotspots are extremely crippled in this respect)
Port forwarding/DMZ port
Real GPS
File sharing using microsd card

Cons:
Can overheat if charging while using (adjust your power settings)
Boots up slow
Transition from 4g to 3g can be slow, usually coverage related

I'll also mention that I bought a Verizon 4G LTE hotspot as a potential upgrade for this and ended up returning it. Although the Verizon network has faster speeds it is not as relaible and my VPN would constantly disconnect. This never happens on the Overdrive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Might the worst most expensive device I have ever purchased, September 14, 2011
No hyperbole here...

1. Does not work with VPN - Unless you consider having to restart your VPN just about every hour.
2. Poor performance and connection in most places indoors. I have called Service in regards to poor connections in Portland, OR, Austin, Houston, Dallas and the answer I get is connection is poor 'indoors'. Who works outside on their laptop? Other suggestions have included place near a window or open a window and place on the window sill. Connection cards work optimally aforementioned areas
3. Very buggy administrator user interface. Shocking this made it out of product testing.
4. Battery life is abysmal(1.5 hours is best I get) and device doesn't charge while you are connected and running from plug. I was advised not to plug in the device and use it -- due to product defect of overheating. Overheating is another problem -- it cannot be good for the components to run that hot.
5. Toggling b/w 3G and 4G causes all kinds of problems with socket dependent applications (part of the VPN problem). Very buggy.
6. Sprint reps will tell you "I have this at home and it works GRREAT - I love it." I cannot prove it, but I doubt they do.

It is shocking that Sierra Wireless went to market with this device. Even more shocking is Sprint agreed to distribute it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay Away, July 12, 2011
k hess (Corona, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Will not connect easily, Will ask if I want to connect after I turn it on - no I want to make ice.
It will reboot if you hold the on button too long which is easy because the device has different response times. Very difficult product to use. 4G is a dream presently.

The screen goes blank after a minute. How about a red light for not connected, a yellow for connecting and a green for connected? How about a switch instead of a button that doesn't work.

Will overheat and turn off if left in the sun - what color is it - Black. What were they thinking?

1.0 out of 5 stars Sierra Wireless OVERSTALL! 3G-4G Mobile HOTspot, August 14, 2011
I have bought my share of crappy electronic devices, but this tops the list as the worst! Right after the 30 day return period expired, it started to over heat; this, in an air conditioned house. I was told by Sprint it had a radius of 150 feet. Its more like 25 feet in a clear line of sight! Its constantly dropping internet connection. It locks up, the only way you can get it to turn on or off is to take the battery out. When you take the battery out, both the unit and the battery are EXTREMELY hot to touch. It stopped charging while connected to the charger and in use after the first 30 days (day 32 to be exact). I have taken it back to the store I bought it from several times. I get the same "we can't find anything wrong with it" spiel. Of course, I'm the idiot that can't operate a device that you just turn on and it's suppose to function properly. This thing overheats as soon as you turn it on, but they don't see anything wrong with that. Now we have to dish out the early termination fee to get rid of this piece of garbage so we can go back to our less crappy cable company internet service!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away. Poor quality. Spotty 4G. Horrible Customer Service., April 26, 2011
Purchased this device in August 2010. 4G service is limited in the areas I travel to frequently (Austin, TX, Pasadena,CA, Denver, CO). Device would also lock up frequently when shutting down. The only waya to turn it off would be to remove the battery. Now in April 2011, after 9 months of use, it lost its ability to get an IP address and thus could not connect to the internet. The device was never dropped, it powered up and connected to the cellular network. I took several calls to Sprint customer service and long wait times on hold before they directed me to a local Sprint store where I had the most frustrating customer service experience of my life. They literally laughed at me that I didn't purchase "insurance" and said that the unit would require replacement. I chose to terminate my contract instead. I'll never do business with Sprint again.

3.0 out of 5 stars It does it's job, July 20, 2012
It does it's job. However it takes up to 5 minutes for it to connect to the wireless network and the battery seems to die after about an hour of usage. It's good in a pinch but not worth the monthly fee.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad device, September 27, 2012
I have been using this device for almost two years. Yes, sometime you will get confusion about what LCD talking about. Here is the hints:

1. When turn it on, just leave it no matter what. It will connect to 3G/4G network.
2. To make sure that it been turn off, just remove the battery and then put it back. If the device is not hot, it means that the device is off.