5.0 out of 5 stars Great Timesaver!
Published on November 6, 2007 by Java Mama

3.0 out of 5 stars Sight words
Our home-schooled first grader enjoys the book, but it is more of a relaxing exercise after classes, rather than a learning tool.
Published 13 months ago by Carolyn B. Gatliff

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Timesaver!, November 6, 2007
This review is from: Sight Word Poetry Pages: 100 Fill-in-the-Blank Practice Pages That Help Kids Really Learn the Top High-Frequency Words (Paperback)
I always search for poems that reinforce the sight words we introduce and this does just that. I type and put it in their homework notebooks to work with for the week. Although I have quite a collection of poems I have used, this has been a nice addition and saves time when looking for support of specific words. I have not used the pages as they are written, to have children write the word in the spaces, but I'm sure others would find it useful. I have purchased way too many teaching resource books that go unused but this one is well worth the price! Great for kindergarten and grade 1!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sight Word Practice, October 7, 2007
I have been using this book this year in first grade. The children are not only seeing, hearing and writing the words, they are also getting a mini handwriting lesson. We use the poems for shared reading and they can take them home that day and read them to their family.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, February 27, 2011
I've had this book for several years and find it most helpful for my struggling and ELL primary-age readers. But even more able 1st and 2nd-grade readers can benefit, especially when using the poems for fluency practice. For those lower-level and challenged students, each poem gives them practice in writing a given sight word, then reading it in context, which gives them a sense of accomplishment. Many of the poems have accompanying illustrations on each line which further helps the ELLs. I copy a poem, they fill in the blanks and practice for fluency, then keep the pages in a poetry folder that goes in their individual book bags. I also have laminated copies available for fluency practice in my literacy work stations. Well worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sight word and Reading practice!!!, February 17, 2011
This book provides students opportunities to work on several skills together in context: handwriting, sight word memorizing, reading, and rhyming. My students enjoy working on the poems and are pleased that they are able to read most of the poem on their own, due to the high number of sight words incorporated into the poem's text. We also are able to review rhyming words with each poem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Money, April 2, 2009
As a kindergarten teacher the book saves me so much time by putting all the sight words we target into one book of poems. I use the poems in many different ways. The poems are used in my pocket chart and writing stations. When the students really like a poem I put it on chart paper and hang up on the wall where they are able to read it during the read around the room station. This book is well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sight Word Heaven, July 10, 2011
I like that the worksheets are simple, easy and repetitive for young learners. The rhyming poetry is not forced and very clever to assist memory and engagement for early years children. I purchased this resource with the Sight Word Mini books and Sight Word Practice Pages. A great package to save busy teachers time making something similar when teaching and reinforcing basic sight words. Highly recommend the three books together.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT!, December 21, 2012
We use this in K to intro poetry and sight words. The kids do them at home for writing practice and to learn the words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Way to Introduce Poetry!!, September 13, 2012
DeltaGal (Sacramento, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I love this book! I use it with my Kindergarten Class and now with my Transitional Kindergarten students. We read the poem, then they practice writing the words. Because each poem follows the same instructions, it only takes a few times until the students realize what to do. I would use a poem a day for writing practice, save the poems and then the kids would have a poetry book they can take home.

Love it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to help your child learn their sight words, March 9, 2013
I bought this book for my 6 year old daughter who is in the first grade. My daughter is having fun learning the sight words in these poems and making up her own poems. This is an excellent book to teach your child sight words, spelling and how to read. The poems are great and reinforced the sight words by repeating it over and over in the poem. The great thing about these poems are the author incorporated other sight words, in the poems which means your child is learning more than a 100 sight words. The author also included the list of 220 sight words your child need to know before they reach in the third grade.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, May 26, 2012
This book was great for teaching my students sight words, reading, and writing. I used it almost daily for about a week until another teacher asked to borrow it. That was about a month ago and I haven't seen it since. I guess she likes it too!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›