Sightmark Ultra Shot Reflex Sight
Price:$71.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 28, 2012
Now I'm not saying it will be good for you BUT for the $$ its a good buy in my book. With that said you will have to do a modification to it if you want to use this sight or any other reflex optic for that matter ( regardless of the make ) in an outdoor setting. Within the battery compartment lays the voltage divider circuit board which limits the current supplied by the 3v battery to the 3v LED which provides the light for the rectile. The circuit board is secured in with a brass ring that has two notches. This ring is the cause for so many complaints about the optic either not working or failing after several rounds. This ring, screws on the same threads as the batterycap and must be securely tightened as it is the contact point for the common leg of the voltage divider board. When it backs off ( loosens ) it fails to make contact and the sight doesn't work. This is very easily solved by simply snugging the ring up with a small flat-head screwdriver, but be carful not to torque it too much as the ring is compressing the circuit board to the knob. A little lock tight in the thread will prevent this retaining ring from ever backing off again. The other modification has to do with the brightness of the rectal image in daylight settings. I suggest this modification ONLY be performed by an electronics prefessional. The voltage divider circuit board I mentioned earlier works by resistance. There are 5 surface mount resistors that increment up in value for every position of the intensity switch. The brightest position ( #5 ) has a resistor value of 20 ohms. If you remove this resistor and replace it with a 5 ohm surface mount resistor it wil cause the led to be twice the brightness as before. I also reccomend removing and replacing the #4 position resistor ( 151 ohm ) with the 20 ohm that was removed from position #5. In my opinion the 151 ohm is a worthless value as it is neither acceptable for outdoor and to bright for indoor use. I did this on both of my sight mark ultra shots, one on my Mac-11 and the other on my Mossburg 12 ga. They work flawlessly and I couldn't be happier with them. They've held zero with no issues for the past 2 yrs. I hope this review helps.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 13, 2012
Owned two of these. Both are crisp (no ghosting), bright (very visible in bright sunlight), and hold zero (after several hundred rounds of 5.56mm high pressure rounds).
on February 2, 2014
Verified Purchase
This is a great sight, I have it on my AR 15 , it hold zero well, has good bat life, holds up well in extreme cold, zeroed it at 100 and 150 yards, it is 1-2 MOA at 100 yards and 2-3 MOA at 150. Ive seen where people say it wont hold zero between the different reticles, flip to the other reticles easy and make sure it clicks. The issue with it cutting off, well tighten your battery cover down, I used a small amount of locktite to get mine to hold, works fine now. This isnt an EOTECH or a AIMPOINT , if any expects it to be then you need to lay down the cash for one of those. If youre looking for a great sight and a sight that isnt going to cost close to the price of a base AR 15 then get this. Its built well, holds zero, and looks good. I thought about this purchase for about 3 months, I looked at them locally, I decided to get it, Ive had it about 3 weeks, ive tested the heck out of it, and so far so good, look on here for any updates later, if ya dont see any, then the sight is still working good. I would buy this again, and I will as a matter of fact be buying a higher quality version of this sight, this was my test sight from this company, so if it is this good, im sure the higher cost ones would have to be. BUY THIS SIGHT, IT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on November 25, 2014
Verified Purchase
I really like this sight. I currently own the quick disconnect digital switch version of this sight. I bought it about a year ago at Amazon on sale last Christmas. I have put nearly 2000 rounds thru the sight on a 5.56 upper in the last year with no problems. Now on to this sight. I just bought it and I have to tell you that I actually like it better than the digital QD version.

There are several reasons for this:

This one uses 1 CR1632 battery as opposed to the 3 AG5 batteries that the QD version uses. Much easier to make a battery change. The AG5s are cheap to buy online but making a battery change is a delicate process that requires some practice.

This one has a manual switch which I prefer much more than the digital switch. No chance of the sight accidentally being turned on while in the case. It has clear markings and definite clicks on the switch showing exactly where your brightness setting is set at and whether or not the sight is on or off. When I shot at a dark indoor range I was constantly pressing the digital switch to make sure I was on the lowest setting. With this one there is no doubt.

Finally you may think that you would miss having the Quick Disconnect on this one like the Digital one has. Not really. The field of view is so wide on this sight that if you have MBUS on the upper, just look right thru the sight if it fails and use your MBUS. No problems at all. I have done this all year with the QD digital version I have been using. No need to ever take the sight off.

Also I own 2 Vortex Strikefires which are awesome sights that I really like. But I find the red dot on the 2 Sightmarks much easier to make out clearly with my astigmatism. But that may just be my eyes.

I added this sight to cart about 6 months ago and waited for the price to go up and down until it recently hit a low of 39.99 and I bought it. Well worth the money. Looking back the digital switch and quick disconnect is not worth the extra price to me.

Hope this helps some of you.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 1, 2013
Verified Purchase
All metal. very tough, easy mounting, love the multi-reticle. cannot really beat the price. great quality without the EOTech price.
on January 17, 2013
Verified Purchase
The sun cause the sight to mess up at times. The shade could be larger... But I still like this optic. This was used on a AR15 and has be a good optic. You can spend alot more...but why?
on November 6, 2014
Verified Purchase
Mounted this on my Saiga 7.62. Excellent performance. I think you could get a dinner plate at 200 yards with this. Not bad for an a AK47 weapon.
on November 7, 2013
Verified Purchase
I just got it and used it for about the first 50 rounds. Worked great. Then, it kept shutting off or dimming itself. Not sure if it is just a defective one or not. bought from Amazon, so sending it back for a replacement. We will see how that works. I saw some others stating same thing, and one wrote this as a fix:

"The circuit board is secured in with a brass ring that has two notches. This ring is the cause for so many complaints about the optic either not working or failing after several rounds. This ring, screws on the same threads as the batterycap and must be securely tightened as it is the contact point for the common leg of the voltage divider board. When it backs off ( loosens ) it fails to make contact and the sight doesn't work. This is very easily solved by simply snugging the ring up with a small flat-head screwdriver, but be carful not to torque it too much as the ring is compressing the circuit board to the knob. A little lock tight in the thread will prevent this retaining ring from ever backing off again."

I will try that with new one too. i agree. It is an awesome sight for the money, when it works. Just hope it holds up.
on January 17, 2014
MANY of the reviews on this sight on AMAZON are BAD but most of the reviews on Cheaper-Than-Dirt are GOOD.

*** NOTE the first half of this review was made in December of 2012, BEFORE I bought the sight. ***
Out of twelve reviewers on Cheaper-n-Dirt it was rated by EIGHT reviewers at 5 and FOUR reviewers at 4. And that is an average of 4.7 - THAT is pretty amazing! NOT one gave it one two or three stars but all gave it a 4 of a 5.
See it at www(dot)cheaperthandirt(dot)com/product/63971?pagesize=1000 ITS $10 more than Amazon so I want to buy it through Amazon BUT it makes me WONDER, it is NOT Amazon that we are dealing with on such items but some local gun dealers or HOME/GARAGE resellers, no telling WHAT THEY ARE SELLING! (THAT was in November of 2012)

I DON'T HAVE $600 for an EOTech! And none of the other cheap ones are any better (or AS GOOD, in my opinion AS THIS ONE)! In fact looking at Cheaper-Than-Dirt reviews for THIS Sightmark, ONE reviewer sounds like THIS ONE is one of the better holo-TYPE sights. It is not a true holograph but merely an LED projected onto the lens, BUT it WORKS FINE.

I have done a lot of gunsmithing, tinkering, etc. So I would have no problem modifying this thing like AJS suggested but I would like to make sure I can FIX the on/off problem. As for brightness many had no complaint about that?

There are other cheap red dots out there that look pretty good, the UAG/NcSTAR/UTG Red Dot Sight, (ALL are the SAME), and you can pick one of them up for HALF the price, $30-$35 of this Sightmark. HOWEVER, I have seen two pieces about the lens BREAKING on the other sights, because of the SLIM support around the lens! RECOIL can cause the lens to flex so much that it BREAKS. This Sightmark has a heaver and stronger lens COVER so that should not be a problem??

ANOTHER BONUS, one reviewer, else where, raved about SERVICE, help, and friendliness at Sightmark!

*** UPDATE 01/17/2014 ***
So I bought this sight in February and have been shooting with it 7-8 times and have only had one small problem.
I say small because it is FAIRLY easy to fix BUT it does cause a big problem! I got it all sighted in or thought I did, then I switched from a 'single dot' to a 'cross-hair', then it was way off?? Come to find, after firing another 40 rounds to RE-sight it in, that the problem is when you change your sight view from one pic to another! You have four to choose from: a single dot, dot with a cross-hair, acircle with a dot, or #4 don't recall, maybe all 3 together a cross-hair, a circle and a dot?

The adjuster for these different views is a small disk with 4 indentions on it that lock the light into place, using a spring and a small steel BB. The grease was to thick that even in cool weather I could not feel the ball drop into the slot, therefore it was slightly off center of the indent, which moved the lighted cross-hair off just a little but at 100 yards it was 6 inches.

SOLUTION is to clean the THICK grease out and replace it with something that is not so thick, and that will remain soft even in cold climates. However, this is not easy to do. I did it with some spray on cleaner-degreaser. I covered the lens where the light projects onto it BUT I got some of the spray on the small LED!! I was EVENTUALY ABLE TO CLEAN it, after using rags and Q-tips but the LED is so small it was not easy! To do it properly you need to take it apart.

A second option would be to rapidly move the adjuster back and forth a few times to warm up the grease, and then be VERY CAREFUL to that you FEEL when it clicks into place. After cleaning it and practicing with it I do NOT make that mistake any more. :-)

As for the SightMark it self, I would recommend it to anyone. I haven't tried any others but this one works TO GOOD to bother. I also Haven't tried any low light shooting yet but mid-morning, afternoon, late afternoon and cloudy days it works great.

I tried to get my grandson to buy one for his NEW AR but he did not want to spend a hundred dollars, which is what I paid almost a year ago BUT he bought a cheaper one. Now he is sorry! LOL. They just don't want to listen, do they? So, knowing him, he will buy 2 or 3 cheap ones and then brake down buying this AFTER he has wasted his time, ammo and money before he buys it.

I also bought a "Magnifier" to go with it, a 3X for about $50. Many SpecOps guys use this same setup. An open holographic sight (mostly EOTech but hey they can afford it with OUT TAX DOLLARS) for CQB (close quarters battles) and then a magnifier that swings out of the way, using the magnifier makes it more like a SCOPE for those long shots. I saw and EOTech going for $600 and an EOTech magnifier for another $550 !! That is $1,200. With my SightMark I am shootin .15" groups at 100 yards, don't have any good LONG ranges to try it out on so don't know how it would do WITH the magnifier say at 200-400 yards? YET to be tried.

MY SUGGESTIONS is BUY IT. NOW it is only $60, don't waste your time, ammo and money on something else, UNLESS you have the money to go with EOTech, LOL.

I have read different reviews, three in fact here and else where of guys that have EOTechs and two them like THIS SightMark better and the third one said that this SightMark, "... is as good as the EOTech for 20% of the cost!"
on February 12, 2015
This product is a great starter, I'm going to move to an eotech as soon as I can save that much money up, but for my ar-15 it works just fine, I also got the 3x magnifier from sightmark. Together they function very well. I recommend the two together for not just looks but for a full on short and long distance good time. Well that's all I really got to say, oh by the way I'm an 11B in the army, so there's my 2cents... Thanks for reading y'all have fun and be safe.....f*ck the Navy!!!! Hoahh!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...