5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality
Published on April 23, 2012 by hema3

2.0 out of 5 stars Least impressive of the macro lenses around 100mm
I am reviewing the Canon version of the Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Macro OS lens.

There are probably more macro lenses at or near the focal length of 100mm than at any other focal length. If this were the only macro lens around 100mm, I would consider it a good lens worth having. It has pretty good image quality and a solid build. Unfortunately for Sigma, "pretty good"...
Published 16 months ago by David Siegfried

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality, April 23, 2012
I bought this lens after a detailed comparison with the Nikon 105mm. Tested both with similar conditions, same images, one after the other and found comparable results. The only difference I saw between them was the focus speed of Nikon is slightly better than the Sigma. My considerations were more around sharpness and image quality as a whole: sigma's results were the same as Nikon. So I went ahead and purchased this lens.

Definitely happy with the quality of the images, performance and overall built of the lens. Good work by Sigma in creating this wonderful lens.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent lens but super heavy!, July 2, 2012
This lens could never be considered to be poorly built. It is built like a tank! It's a very heavy piece of glass and gives excellent sharp photos with nice boke.
I would highly recommend this lens to anyone looking for a 1 to 1 macro / portrait lens.

Pros: Heavy well built, Sharp, Nice Boke, useable on both DX & FX cameras.

Cons: Autofocus HUNTS viciously in lower light, Heavy! a pain to carry around, Lens cap doesn't fit real well.

Overall I do have to say I love the lens and it's quickly become one of my most favorite despite it's cons.

I am using this lens with a Nikon D5100 body.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magnificent All-round 1:1 Macro, March 1, 2013
Amazon Customer (NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro Lens for Canon SLR Camera (Electronics)
I chose this Macro lens because of previous ownership of the brand name, the quality, features, and unparalleled warranty. I was right again. This lens is everything as described and more. I selected 3 choices: Canon 100mm IS Macro, Tamron 90mm VC Macro, and this Sigma 105mm OS Macro. The lens is actually more beautiful than how it looks in the pictures, and the photos I've taken are beyond belief.

I also bought the filter `Zeikos ZE-UV62 62mm Multi-Coated UV' for it at a very good price (reviewed here too). I mainly use this kind of filters on all my lenses as a physical protection and to keep the dust away, it works like a charm.

Another Sigma lens I own and adore is the Giant-Super-Zoom `Sigma 150-500mm f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM' (also reviewed here). Some people say this lens is big and heavy, well, it's true, but it is satisfying and rewarding to use like no other lens.

Back to the `Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro', you love this lens the moment you put it in your camera. The ability to shot at 1:1 magnification is an especial event, the simplest little thing becomes immensely interesting after macro-photographed at 1:1, and this lens is wonderful at that. Regular photography and portraits are fantastic too thanks to the magnificent 2.8 wide aperture that allows really good photos in low-light environment. If you're looking for an all-round Macro (1:1 to be a real macro) don't look farther, this is it.

I recommend this lens better than a short one because you have more space for lighting, 12 inches instead of 8; better than a longer one because you can get a lot closer to the subject. The Image Stabilization (OS Optical Stabilizer) in this lens is fantastic, handheld photography is most of what I do. So feel confident to get this Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM 1:1 Macro, I did and I feel good. Thanks God, thanks Sigma, and thanks Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, awesome performance and solid build, June 10, 2013
Gehan Ranawana (Colombo, Sri Lanka) - See all my reviews
I'm really really impressed with the overall performance of this lens.

It's got solid construction and a nice finish and aesthetics.

Pros:
- Awesome image quality
- Good build
- Value for money
- Good design, aesthetics and material

Cons:
- The AF speed tends to be a bit slower (compared to the equivalent Nikon lens). However, when you take in to consideration the price difference, you really can't complain. This is the only slightly negative aspect of the lens I could think of, after using it for nearly a year.

Definitely would recommend for anyone looking for a good macro lens, but looking to save a few hundred bucks.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions - Great as a general use lens, December 28, 2013
I don't do a lot of macro but wanted a lens for beauty portraiture. This is hands down the best macro for general use photography for several reasons.

1: Autofocus speed is fast. Really fast. As long as you aren't focusing from the front to back of its range its AF will impress. It's also silent which is a nice bonus.
2. Doesn't extend. This is more a personal thing, but an extending lens can distract models and unbalances the camera.
3. Stabilization. This is less important to me because I usually shoot with strobes and have IBIS, but great if you do any shooting in low light. Huge benefit for non-tripod users.

I am also really impressed by the build quality and hood (which is adaptable for Full Frame or APS-C). I'm not much of a tech-nut so I haven't tested the sharpness extensively, but macro lenses are always sharp and this seems like it will be a perfect prime for all situations.

If you can get it on sale it's a no brainer, don't even bother looking at other primes in this focal length. At full price it's more expensive than other macros, but if you like the 105mm focal length it's absolutely worth the investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful lens!, July 6, 2013
I read all the reviews on macro lenses. I wanted one that would allow me to take great pictures of bugs, etc. This lens didn't disappoint! It is rather heavy, but feels well made. I don't want to pay good money for a lens that feels like plastic. I use this lens on my Nikon D5100 and it auto focuses quickly and quietly. I just have to get used to not having to stand so close to get my pic as this lens allows me to stand back much farther from my subject and get a great close-up. Don't hesitate to get this lens!

5.0 out of 5 stars The PERFECT non-Canon Macro Lens for an aspiring photog!, August 12, 2013
About me:
- I'm about 2 years into building my photography kit
- I've spent hours and hours watching Adorama videos and the like on YouTube in an effort to improve my skills
- I've purchased the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 OS lens and simply love it
- Delving into the Macro arena

About the lens:
+ it does everything I expected it to do and more; the capabilities of this lens exceed my own limitations...that has become obvious
+ Everytime I use it, I'm more and more impressed with it
+ This lens makes learning macro photography extremely fun and rewarding
+ When I use the lens correctly, the pictures are very rewarding; when I don't, it shows

Q: Would I buy it again?
A: Definately.
Q: Why not the Canon 100mm or Tamron 90mm?
A1: No Canon as I didn't feel like spending the additional $$ to learn macro photography.
A2: No Tamron only because of my resoundedly positive experience with my Sigma 70-200 2.8 lens.

I suppose I could have done without the image stabilization...but I didn't want to limit my options or have to carry my tripod/monopod around all the time.

If you are starting out learning macro photography, I highly recommend this lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick accurate focus and great color fidelity, November 16, 2013
I found this lens to be very quick, accurate and nearly silent in focusing. The color quality was excellent with no fringing or color distortion. The stabilization was very accurate and the image sharp and stable even though there has been conditions where the camera was not able to stay steady. I have had absolutely no problems with this lens.
I can recommend this lens to anyone looking for a lens in this range wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving this lens, July 11, 2012
This lens does macro and more! That is what I love about it. Incredible detail at the macro level plus I can get really nice close up shots without having to get really close. Sigma rocks! I highly recommend it to anyone who shoots macro.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Glass, January 14, 2014
I use this for commercial product photography. Due to the nature of the products, I prefer manual focus, but the AF is still pretty good. Image quality is very good; low distortion. I recommend this one for the jobs I have it doing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›