4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected for the $$$ (and a little more)
Published on August 7, 2009 by alaskan-exposure.com

3.0 out of 5 stars MIXED FEELINGS ABOUT THIS LENS
I had read more positive than negative reviews about this lens, so I ordered it to do wedding photography. The lens quality is very good except when it comes to the lens hood; it's very thin and bends easily. Overall, the lens barrel is sturdy and compact. In terms of focusing, the lens focuses fast & right on target.

Some people say this lens is soft at F/2.8,...
Published on August 25, 2010 by Viridiana Serrano

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected for the $$$ (and a little more), August 7, 2009
This review is from: Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM AF Standard Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras (Electronics)
I'm currently using a Nikon D90 but the D700 is on the horizon for me. This meant that I am not buying any DX lenses anymore. I have the Tokina 11-16, Nikkor 70-300 VR, Nikkor 50mm 1.8 and the D90 kit lens 18-105 VR (never been happy with the kit lens). So the only focal range I needed was basically 17-70 and the DX Nikkor 17-55 is out. The logical approach was the Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 but ugh... I'm not making $$$ from my shots yet and $1999 was a bit much to swallow. I rented the Nikkor and the Sigma to compare side by side and I really loved the Sigma's compact but solid presence compared to the relatively big and long Nikkor (chalk up one point for the Sigma)... I took about 150 shots with both lenses and I really could not find too many differences... Certainly none that stood out. I'll admit that I'm a bit of a pixel peeper and I was truly looking for the lesser priced lens to come up short but honestly only some very minor flare issues (shooting directly into the late evening sun) even showed up. On my crop framed D90 the sharpness was superb on both lenses, color, contrast and focusing accuracy and speed was exactly what I expected. VERY VERY good. One thing that added to the cost of the Sigma though (chalk up a point for Nikkor) is the 82mm filter size. They are not easy to find and are almost always more expensive (high quality Digital UV filter was $100). I now have my FX frame lens lineup set and I'm very happy with it as I purchased this lens right here at Amazon. Now... to save for that D700... *sigh*

Moral of the story is... if you want to save $800 and have a lens that you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference from the venerable Nikkor... get this Sigma 24-70 2.8 HSM.

*UPDATE*
As mentioned in the comments on this original post, if you are going full frame with this lens it is indeed a bit "mushy" from f/2.8 to f/4.0 in terms of acuity. On my D90 I just didn't seem to notice as much more than likely due to the smaller sensor and denser smaller pixels. On the D3s you can really see the limitations of this lens at wide apertures. I would also imagine if you are using a D7000 (purely speculation here) that you might start seeing some of the limitations on that crop sensor too due to its higher resolution. I will be selling my old faithful friend (this is not a bad lens) for the more expensive Nikkor now that I'm full frame. NEW moral of the story... if you are using a D300 or D90 or below this lens is wonderful. If you are using a higher MP sensor or full frame you will see the limitations at wide apertures.

3.0 out of 5 stars MIXED FEELINGS ABOUT THIS LENS, August 25, 2010
Viridiana Serrano (San Bernardino, CA) - See all my reviews

Some people say this lens is soft at F/2.8, but that's exactly the effect you want to create with your aperture wide open. The lens is sharp where you focus at F/2.8, and creates a nice soft focus around you focus point. All the images I took, were of excellent quality & sharpness.

The only major issue I had with the lens was not in terms of quality, or image sharpness. My issue was that the lens barrel was very, very stiff when zooming in & out. I had to apply some force to push it all the way in both directions (in and out). Unfortunately, that's a problem with Sigma lenses, and it seems they're not fixing it. This is a major issue because during wedding photo shoots, it would really slow me down some good 2-4 seconds trying to zoom the lens to get a shot, but also lose my scene.

I returned the lens & got me the Canon L lens (which has a zoom smooth as butter). However, if you won't be doing fast-paced photography, this lens is perfect for you, both in terms of price, quality and construction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma 24-70 HSM opinion, March 4, 2009
I have had the new Sigma 24-7o f2.8 HSM lens for about 3 weeks now, took photos with it the last four weekends. I am happy with the performance of this lens. This lens controls flare very well( but have had a couple of photos shot directly into the sun show small flare). This lens has good contrast and no color shift. I have had no focus issues with this lens on my Nikon D700 (I did use AF Tune to adjust focus at 70mm -10). Once I adjusted the focus setting, focus point was tack sharp at f2.8. This lens is very sharp even in the corners. The one knock I will give it, is that it Vignettes a little at 70mm with f2.8-4.0 (can be removed in post process). Over f5.6 and up no vignette. I am no professional lense reviewer but I feel this is a good value for the money. I'm sure the Nikon 24-70 is a better lens and for the extra money it should be. For my uses I am very satisfied with the lens. If you want to see some photos taken with the Sigma 24-70 lens type bc1963 photos in your search engine and select my flickr photostream.

Review Update 4-15-09:

After using the lens more I wanted to update the review with my observations to date. I have had a couple photos with lens flare but it was small and shot directly into the sun. Also I have seen some vignette at f4.0.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, November 10, 2012
I just purchased this lens. I am a pro photographer. I have Some older Sigma glass that is awesome, I also own Nikon glass. I have been starting to shoot more weddings and really didn't want to spend $1800-$2000 on Nikon's 24-70 2.8 I have rented that lens prior to any weddings I have done. I can tell you this.. It is an awesome lens. It is a tank of a lens, it is heavy and cumbersome. I have read many review on the Sigma 24-70 2.8, I purchased it and it is more than what I expected. If you are a pixel peeker than you may find a small amount of difference between this lens and Nikon's flag ship lens. The build quality of this Sigma lens is spot on, it is built pro quality. At F2.8 it is a little to soft for my taste compared to the Nikon 24-70.. At F3.5 and up it is Tack sharp. Focus speed is faster than my prime Nikor 50mm 1.4, For $1000.00 less than Nikon's over priced version it is so worth it. I have always had great luck with Sigma glass. I did how ever do a little bit of AF calibration on my D700 when I first used it. F2.8 now is very sharp and very pleasing. Don't waste your money on the Nikon unless you just have money to throw away, and in that case I would suggest on donating your $$$ for a worthy cause. God knows there are some people in this world that could use some help. I have bought many of Nikons brand equipment and realized that it is a waste of $$$. Way over priced! Buy this lens.. You wont regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Got a Stellar Copy - If yours is a "good one" You'll love it!, April 25, 2010
Seems the biggest challenge when buying a Sigma lens is, "Am I getting a good copy?" There is no other manufacturer out there that has this level of production variance in their manufacturing. I took a chance and bought this lens. This is my first Sigma (I have a love affair with Tokina Lenses, but this is my first Sigma) - and I got it because I am doing more and more in low light situations and as much as I wanted the Canon 24-70mm L, I couldn't justify the extra $400 - so I took a shot. Let me tell you its been a blissful time since I have mated this lens to my 5D. I am getting sharp, sharp sharp pictures (even at 2.8) and creamy, buttery bokeh. The subject really pops off the screen with this lens. The colors are perfect and in low light I couldn't be happier.

PROS;

Price
Sharpness (even at 2.8)
Subjects POP
Colors are sharp and accurate
HSM focus - fast and quiet
Wouldn't hesitate to use it at a wedding

CONS:

Hope and pray you get a good one - buy new from someone with a liberal return policy
Low light focus searches a little bit - really low light
82 MM for filters which means if you want a good circular polarizing filter - expect high $$
A Tad on the heavy side, but downright light when compared to the Canon

Hope you get lucky and go for it, if you can't get a good one, you can always get the CanonSigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM AF Standard Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR CamerasSigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM AF Standard Zoom Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

4.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to slow VR zooms, July 31, 2009
My objective was to find something fast in a normal zoom range. This lens fits the bill. Build quality is excellent with perfect resistance in zoom and focus rings. A bit more expensive than a Nikon 16-85VR, it cost a lot less than a Nikon 17-55, and much, much less than a Nikon 24-70 f2.8. This Sigma f2.8 HSM is probably the only competition for the big Nikon in FX lenses. After cashback I paid about $750. For me the lens handles exceptionally well. I like the large barrel diameter and the short length. I also like the balance on my D300. As others have said, mine had a slight front focus problem at 70mm, close up. I sent it in for adjustment because in all other respects I really like it. Like another review reports, mine came back exactly as it was when I sent it. However, I decided to work with it because it has amazing potential. I started by manually touching up focus for closeups, and you can do that with this HSM lens. Results are fantastic when focus is correct. I have since learned that all I really need to do is release after focusing and hit the AF again. Pops right into excellent focus. For all other shooting I can't say enough good things about the lens. I really like it, and I really like the range for my camera. For the price, this Sigma is worth the little extra effort to work with that one shortcoming, and as I have used it, the close focus problem has become only a sporadic problem, as if the HSM is loosening up a bit. This is a terrific available light lens, much better than normal range slow VR lenses. My camera handles high ISO well, so I have no problem keeping shutter speed up at f2.8 or f3.2. Nikon VR lenses in this range are excellent, no doubt, but I prefer this Sigma. I cannot comment on performance for FX cameras. I can say this lens is addictive on my D300. I enjoy using it, and I like the photos very much.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, not Excellent lens, May 12, 2010
Here are my pros and cons

PRO
----

-Cost
-Very Fast Auto focus
-Accurate Auto Focus
-Sharp at f5.6 and up
-Excellent build quality

CONS
-----

-82mm filter (expensive and not an industry standard)
-No Image Stabilization
-Soft at 2.8

Overall
--------

Overall this is a good to very good lens, If cost is an issue I recommend this. If cost is not an issue buy the Nikon [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply, WOW!, October 21, 2009
I have been looking for a high quality lens for about a month now, one that can handle 2.8 of course. I oredered the Tamron 28-75mm and put it to the test. The Tamron is a good lens BUT it does have focusing issues and isn't sharp at 2.8, trust me I did plenty of test shots with two different Tamrons since I sent the first one back because I thought it was the lens that was defective. I have the money to get the Nikon 20-70mm but like all of us I was looking for something as good without paying the 2k that Nikon want's, I personally think Nikon is full of it for charging so much. I ordered this Sigma before giving in and ordering the overpriced Nikon 20-70mm and WOW is this Lens simply quality! NO focus issues, build solid and even looks nice on my D200. You wont go wrong with this lens, don't be cheap and get the $400 Tamron but don't dont be a fool and pay over 2k for the Nikon one either this will satisfy every photographer from amateur to pro.

1.0 out of 5 stars focus issues on three separate copies!, December 23, 2009
i really wanted to like this lens. I had just upgraded to the d700 and need a full frame normal zoom. I was hoping to find a lower priced alternative to the Nikon 24-70. I had read some outstanding reviews and had high expectations. Got the first one, major focus issues that couldn't even be corrected with AF fine tune. Sent it back. Second copy, seemed to focus alright except it front focused at 70mm. I sent it back frustrated and decided to give it one more try before I threw in the towel. Third one also had bad focus issues. It was strange, it seemed to focus fine in normal light but indoors or in lower light situations it would miss focus constantly.

I rented the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Nikkor Wide Angle Zoom Lens between the first two copies for a wedding I was shooting and fell in love with it. It focused fast and accurately, felt better in my hand (the sigma was too big around and had a very stiff zoom ring) and just blew my mind with its sharpness, color rendition and contrast.

I decided to just pony up the extra cash and get the Nikon version and I've been using it for 6 months now and could not be more happy with my decision. Worth it times a thousand! After all it's my bread and butter lens and I don't mind paying more for something I KNOW will get the job done with 100% confidence. Even if I had gotten a Sigma that worked properly, I would always be wondering if it would fail or go screwy on me half way through a wedding.

I'll say to compare the two, the Sigma might be on par with the Nikon sharpness wise (if I manual focused), but the Nikon had (slightly) better bokeh, colors and that magical pop that makes it stand out from the rest.
I liked that the sigma was a bit shorter but like I said, it was too wide for me and the zoom and focus rings were too stiff. Also the lens hood that comes with the Nikon is vastly superior. Even though it adds another 4 inches of length, I like the extra protection it offers as it's banging around hanging off my hip. Also it is easy to put on and has a switch to remove it. The Sigma hood is very shallow, hard to line up and put on and doesn't inspire much confidence.

BOTTOM LINE
Nikon for best IQ and dependability.
Sigma for the budget conscious if you have the patience to deal with exchanges or repairs and don't mind taking extra time trying to get in focus shots.

I would NEVER recommend the Sigma to anyone doing paid work or who plans to do paid work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Copy?, May 31, 2009
Upon receiving this lens from Amazon I put it through its paces.

Pros
- Small Compact Size for a 24-70 f/2.8 Zoom (especially compared to the Canon L)
- Weighs less than the Canon f/2.8L
- Has HSM and FTM - no strange dual-focus clutch mechanism like the original Sigma 24-70 Non-HSM
- Has 4 Year Warranty (Had to call Sigma to confirrm that they would honor this from Amazon - The box did not include any indicators as to whether or not the warranty would be 1 or 4 years)
- Very Fast and Quiet AF - Behaves very much like other Canon USM-driven lenses.
- Includes Hood and Bag (see cons)

Cons
- Still weighs a fair amount, especially when paired with smaller body such as a Rebel.
- Hood is inadequate for the focal length range. For reference, the Hood is pretty much identical to the hood that is included with the old Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, which is probably easier to find pictures of.
- Large Diameter is hard to grip, especially if your hands are small.
- Price - very expensive for a non-OEM lens.
- Front-Focus problem @ 70mm at close focus distances. Would consistently focus just in front of the area I was trying to focus on.
- Sent lens into sigma to rectify this problem - the lens came back practically the same.

A note on repairs:

- Amazon allowed me to return the lens even after sending the lens in for servicing.
- Sigma quoted me as having a 1-3 week turnaround time.
- I was only contacted about the status of the lens after 4 full weeks of waiting and a call to Sigma. I had originally sent the lens into their NY flagship repair center, and Sigma forwarded it to a subcontractor in Arizona.
-To me, waiting four weeks to fix a lens is absolutely unacceptable, since this is outside of Amazon's normal return policy. I called Amazon ahead of time before the return policy ran out to ensure I could still return the lens. Amazon worked with me to ensure I could return the item as soon as I received it back from Sigma.
-This lens came back with the same issue - it was almost as if they had done nothing to the lens.
-If you run into any problem while owning this lens, be prepared for any repair to take this long (4-5 weeks). This means your lens is totally out of commission.

In the meantime, some good popular alternatives that I've scoped out are:

Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L (Bigger, more expensive, heavier, but Canon High Grade)
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras

Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM (Bigger, a tad more expensive, but much lighter, has IS, and a slightly different focal length range - EF-S only, though!)
Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens for Canon DSLR Cameras

Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (Much cheaper, lighter, and smaller, but noisy AF micromotor)
Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR ZL Di LD Aspherical (IF) for Canon Digital SLR Cameras

I have ultimately decided to go for the 17-55 EF-S.

Hope this helps others!