4.0 out of 5 stars Seems identical to older version sans metal construction
Published 17 months ago by J. Sorensen

3.0 out of 5 stars way better than the kit lens that came with my camera
I'm mixed about this lens. The colors it captures are vibrant and when in focus it's fairly sharp; way, way better than the kit lens that came with my camera. Unfortunately on my Panasonic DMC-G5, the auto-focus is pretty terrible. It hunts, it's loud and nearly inaccurate each time, especially for action shots. In low-light auto-focus is practically useless. Switch...
Published 1 month ago by DA-aK

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems identical to older version sans metal construction, April 9, 2013
I haven't had much time with this lens, came just last week and I've used it twice. For all NEX users familiar with the older, plastic model of this lens the clunking noise is still present...mine even makes a little noise while attached to the camera. The lens appears well built and I have no complaints with it's quality. I had the older plastic lens and returned it because I wanted the metal. I see no difference in performance, same excellent photos I had with the original. The metal color is somewhat peculiar though. The metal lens housing is a flat black but the focus ring is almost a polished black...definitely noticeable. I'd give the lens 5 stars if it fixed the clunking noise. Overall if you can deal with the plastic lens, it's a fantastic deal but for $200 and the metal construction both are exceptional lens values for the NEX.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice prime lens for my camera kit., October 5, 2013
Great prime lens for the price. Purchased for a Sony NEX-7. Solid construction, good fit. I have used it on a few occasions and I am surprised at the clarity and detail fora sub-$200 lens. Great for street photography. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars sharp with great color, August 26, 2013
R. P. Brown "mystic" (Snellville, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This lens works very well as a normal lens on my Olympus MFT camera. Both build and optical quality are excellent. And 46mm filters are easy to find.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great E-Mount Lens. A must have, May 26, 2014
Mike (Loudoun County, VA) - See all my reviews
I am really impressed with this inexpensive lens. For only $200, this lens is tough to beat. Sharp pictures, fantastic Bokeh. This lens mounted on my Nex 6 makes a wonderful family outing lens. Most of my family pictures are environmental portraits. This lens, wide open at F2.8 produces sharp photos of the the subject with just right amount of blurred background to let you know where you took the photo but makes the viewer focus on the subject. Other normal lenses I've used, mostly on DSLR's, produce similar results, but this lens produces a certain depth to my photos very similar to my SIgma 35mm F1.4 ART lens (my favorite lens!).

BTW - I agree with others that this lens is a little slow to focus. But focus has been very accurate.

5.0 out of 5 stars The sharpest lens I ever had, June 21, 2013
I never owned Leica or Zeiss so, please, take my thoughts about Sigma with a grain of salt. It is used with my Sony NEX7. I do not take pictures of brick walls and I do not pixel-peep. I have this Sigma for less than a month. Images appear sharper than those taken by my Sony lenses. Sigma appears very well made, is rather small and focuses fast by my standards. It looks very harmoniuos on my NEX7.
I noticed that all images taken with Sigma appear grainier than the ones I took before. The photos seem to have more details. Other reviewers have already commmented about the lens being relatively slow and lacking the stabilizer. I second those thoughts. But for pure sharpness, I think it is very hard to beat this lens no matter how much money you invest in a lens. In my opinion the tiny difference in sharpness between Sigma and Zeiss Touit will be very difficult to see unless you really blow the image up. So, in short, if you want a small sharp lens which you use on weekends for outside shooting, it is very difficult to go wrong with this Sigma.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens = High Quality Images!, June 18, 2014
I gave this lens five stars because it produces crisp, high quality images that really bring out the sensor capabilities of my APS-C Sony NEX-6 mirrorless camera. This lens is so good, I decided to return my camera to purchase it again without the zoom kit lens. I would much rather sacrifice zoom capabilities for a lens that actually produces the kind of high quality images that I purchased a mirrorless camera for in the first place. This lens produces photos that exceed he detail and sharpness in the images you will take with standard Sony kit lenses. I recommend this lens to anyone on a with an e-mount camera and is on a budget and cannot quite spring for a Zeiss lens just yet (I hear they are spectacular). But this will more than do for now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharper Images, excellent price, March 14, 2014
This review is from: Sigma 30mm f2.8 DN Lens (Sony E) (Camera)
Images are much sharper than those taken with the kit lens (18-55mm). This is a 46mm lens, so your filters and such that you bought for the kit lens (49mm) won't fit without an adaptor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, Sharp, Useful Focal Length, August 7, 2014
This lens is an excellent value. Compact and light, it makes an ideal "walkabout" lens. I really appreciate the "normal" focal length, and find it more usable than say a 50mm. It's arguably better than the 20mm for this purpose. 30mm just seems right for many situations - useful for landscapes and street, and yet it can capture photos of people without too much distortion.

PROS

*Sharpness - this is why you buy a prime, right? The lens is quite sharp.

*Size & weight - it's just small & light enough to maintain easy portability on an NEX. It's bigger than the Sony 20mm, but about the same size as the 16-50 kit zoom.

*Cost - I bought it for less than $200. It's easily the best deal on a sharp primes in this focal length range. In fact, the cost make it a no brainer purchase.

*Aperture - Sure I wish it was f1.8, but f2.8 gets the job done.

*Build quality - it's made in Japan with a metal mount.

*Extras included - nice case, lens caps, and even a hood.

*Bonus - it's said to work well on the full frame A7 series (with the rear baffle removed).

CONS

*No image stabilization - this is really a factor for video. If you plan to shoot handheld video in this focal length, you'll probably want a different lens. Personally I find the kit lenses adequate for most handheld video. I use something like this lens for stills.

*Startup lag - it extends the startup time of my NEX-6 by a couple of seconds. This is annoying (and it's probably the result of Sony programming, so I don't really blame Sigma).

*Focus lag - it's a little slow to focus, but nothing worth worrying about.

*Shiny lens barrel - the smooth lens barrel surface works fine, but is not really my cup of tea.

CONCLUSION

At the going price, this one's a no brainer. Kudos to Sigma for delivering high quality at a bargain price. They deserve to sell a lot of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely color and sharpness, October 15, 2013
To be honest, I hadn't considered this lens until seeing a Flickr user somewhere in the UK who was using it extensively. I enjoy using it as a short portrait lens on my Panasonic m4/3 camera. It's compact and renders colors very well. It's also impressively sharp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma 30mm f2.8 DN Lens (Sony E), February 19, 2014
This review is from: Sigma 30mm f2.8 DN Lens (Sony E) (Camera)
I finally got a chance to use this lens many months after I had purchased it. I took it out on a cloudy & snowy day a couple of weeks ago in a park near by to take some winter pics and I must say that the low light performance of this lens was great. also every time I blew up a picture I was amazed at the detail reproduction. the other great thing I like so much about this lens was the price.
great job Sigma.

Sigma 30mm f2.8 DN Lens (Sony E)
$199.00