Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now DOTD

on March 18, 2011
I chose this computer because wireless devices don't work well for me and I don't need the cadence feature found on other computers. I found it easy to install with the o-ring option. Caution: if your bike has disc brakes, you must install the sensor on the side opposite the disc, otherwise there is no way to get the magnet close enough. I was glad I used the o-rings instead of the zip ties! Sigma offers the option of stem mounting, which works better for me as there's not much room on my handlebars. No issues during initial set up. The display is large and easy to read. Large buttons make it easy to switch between functions. Low price much appreciated. Recommended.
11 comment97 of 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2011
I have an expensive one on my bike. I bought this cheaper one for my wife, and it works perfectly. In fact, it's easier to read, and more "user friendly" than mine. When mine goes, I'm getting one of these.

BTW, it installed in maybe 15 minutes - piece of cake.
0Comment86 of 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 8, 2011
very accurate
easy to install
functions suite basic rider

if you go for the next higher end model you will get its backlight function and candence.
0Comment37 of 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2013
As far as cycle computers go, the sigma 1009 gets the job done. It has the features that most people would need. There is one very unfortunate flaw though: If it starts raining, it's only a matter of time before it stops working. If it rains heavily, you can count on it to break down in a matter of minutes. The display goes blank and you have to take out the battery and dry the sigma over night at least. We have three of these units in the family, and the problem is the same with all of them. In addition, two friends of mine also experience this issue. So, unless you only intend on using it in clear weather, I can in no way recommend this product.
44 comments30 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2011
I needed to replace my wireless bicycle computer. Despite its steep price it was totally inaccurate because of radio interferences at traffic lights, even in malls. Based on reviews, I bought the Sigma BC 1009. After about 500 miles of use I can say I really like it. The pros: easy-to read large, highly contrasted digits on a small display unit that occupies little space on the handle bar. It is very accurate. The ability to reset selectively statistics for a past trip such as time or maximum speed while keeping others, such average speed or cumulative distance is great on multi-leg trips. You still can reset all by pressing the button for 4 seconds. You can also transfer total mileage from the unit you are replacing. Lats but not least, is great value for the money. The cons: 4 control buttons, two at the top and two at the bottom seems 2 too many, a minor nuisance. Also, the wire to the sensor will not reach the rear wheel. Not really an issue for me; my wireless sensor also had to be front wheel mounted.
11 comment41 of 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2012
Had received a VDO bicycle computer as a present but it lacked most functions so did a bit of research and came up with the Sigma BC 1009 as it had all I wanted and at a pretty good price. On receipt found the instructions simple as to programming and fitting and everything was so easy. The resetting of the various functions was also so easy. And viewing the large screen was so easy. It certainly has all the functions needed for happy cycling.
on May 23, 2012
I just came back from my first test ride after installing this unit, so far I'm very happy with the results. The first thing I wanted to verify was the odometer accuracy, so I checked it against our 2006 Accord and was within less than a 10th of a mile. Without verifying this measurement, any speedo info would have been useless. So performance looks to be right on the money. Another big plus for me is the large display size of the numbers. It's very easy to read this unit on the fly without taking your eyes off the road for any length of time. I entered wheel size by rolling the tire one revolution and measuring since my rim's ERTRO size was not included in the instruction sheet. On that subject: The instructions are probably the weakest part of this product. I have mounted cycling computers before and had some idea of the procedure, I'm not sure how well these would work for someone without experience. The Sigma website has a video showing the physical installation, but you have to rely on the enclosed booklet for how to inputting the set-up data. (MPH/KPH, Clock, language). Outside of the so-so instructions, this was a great purchase, and I would recommend it without hesitation.
on January 26, 2013
I have owned and used my first Sigma BC 1009 wired bike computer for 9 months now, using it on my everyday commuter bike I ride to and from work 4-5 days a week in all weather. I like everything about this little computer. I just got a second bicycle, and I bought a second Sigma BC 1009 and installed it on the new bike, too.

This computer has all of the functions I wanted, and it is well-engineered, weatherproof, and tough. I have used it in pouring rainstorms with no problem. I have cycled to work in everything from 103 F and humid to 4 F and frigid - this computer never stopped working or had any problems. I have dropped it on the concrete parking lot several times, and the falls have not seriously damaged it. Every day when I park and lock up my bike, I remove this computer from its mount and toss it in a zip pouch along with my two headlights and two taillights and my keys. It has survived this constant use & abuse with nothing more than light surface scratching. 9 months of use in all weather, and it is still on its first battery too.

Installation was easy and only took a few minutes. Setting up the computer functions is not difficult, despite the manual being written in English, French, and Spanish. There is a table where you select your tire size (which you can find on your tire's sidewall, mine is 700x32 for example) and enter it. Mileage is very accurate - I have compared it to both my car's odometer and google maps for my commute, and they all give the same mileage down to the same tenth of a mile. I tested it, and your total mileage and total hours riding are saved even when you remove/change batteries. Plus, you can transfer mileage from a different computer or other source (for example, since I rode the new bike home from the bike shop 6 miles before I put the bike computer on it, I set the total ODO to 6 for the initial setup).

The buttons are useable even with winter gloves. The twist-mount might require you to take a glove off if it is mounted right next to a light or other handlebar mount, but you can even do that with gloves on if it is spaced away from other mounts. I have my first bike's computer mounted on the handlebar and the new, second bike's computer mounted on the stem. To switch it to the stem, you just have to use a small screwdriver and adjust the mounting base's orientation by 90 degrees, which takes all of about 3 minutes.

This little computer is a well-engineered, tough and long-lasting tool that will give you all of the basic functions (current speed, avg speed, max speed, current trip dist, total odometer distance, clock, etc.) in all weather (or at least everything I have thrown at it here in central Illinois). Easy 5-star review, a great product that I love.
on June 20, 2012
In a single word... Awesome.

Took about 10 minutes to install.... on my MOUNTAIN BIKE..... and no issue whatsoever... YES IT WORKS ON MOUNTAIN BIKES AS WELL. Can't for the life of me understand why another reviewer said it wouldn't work on their mountain bike, but it went on with no problem. User error ?????

Great little gizmo.... and cost next to nothing.. Extremely satisfied with it's performance and usability.
on August 24, 2012
I was excited when I received this. It was very affordable, easy to install and the screen is very legible. Well, after about 45 days, it stopped working. You can still read the clock but the speedometer portion chooses when to work and when to turn off. Basically, it randomly turns on and off while riding. I looked at the sensor on the wheel and it is directly aligned with the sensor on the frame so I know that is not the issue. I was disappointed it stopped working so soon.