5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma MC UV filter

3.0 out of 5 stars Good except dirty and small scratch
Published on November 30, 2009 by Gadget Gizmo Freak

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma MC UV filter, November 3, 2006
This review is from: Sigma DG 52mm Multi-Coated UV Filter (Electronics)
I've bought many UV filters for my cameras, from Hoya and B&W to Promaster and I must say that the Sigma EX MC is the best one. Although most companies claim that their UV filters cut down haze, in reality my experience has been that they really don't. However, I found the Sigma UV filter to noticeably cut down haze and produce very clean, sharp images without altering picture quality in any way. I strongly recommend this filter to protect your camera lens and reduce haze that can ruin your pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just compare to a cheap one..., January 4, 2008
D. Adams (Lexington, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sigma DG 52mm Multi-Coated UV Filter (Electronics)
My previous filters from a cheap set I purchased off ebay. They did the job just fine, but had obvious reflections and all at times. When my Sigma arrived, I held it in the light beside my previous filter. There were practically no reflections on the Sigma!

Do yourself a favor, get a decent filter! Multi-coated is the way to go. Eventually reflections will disrupt your photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best UV filter I've ever used, September 21, 2009
S. J. Anderson (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sigma DG 52mm Multi-Coated UV Filter (Electronics)
Flat-out, the Sigma EX DG ultraviolet filter is hands-down the best UV filter I have ever used. I've had a handful from Hoya, Tiffen, and Zeikos...and always truly believed that it was just to protect the lens, and the clarity of picture was changed in such minute ways, that it was more or less unnoticeable. However, just holding this lens up next to any of my other UV lenses side-by-side, and you can genuinely see the difference. While $20+ does seem just a little on the steep side for just a UV filter when there are so many out there for less than $5, it's good knowing that unless something tragic happens to this one, I'll never need another. I fully intend to buy one in each diameter I need to cover all my lenses.

PROS:
+ Amazing quality UV filter
+ Excellent finish on the entire product
+ Reduces haze noticeably by simple sight, as well as in all pictures

CONS:
- $20+ may be more than some people are willing to pay for a UV filter

4.0 out of 5 stars Multi-coating is far superior to "coated", but hard to clean, September 8, 2009
This review is from: Sigma DG 52mm Multi-Coated UV Filter (Electronics)
This Sigma is better at dispersing reflections than the Tiffen UV filters I've been using. Just looking at a reflection on both filters shows the difference: the Tiffen shows a bright white reflection of a window, while the Sigma shows a dim green reflection, much like the lens of a camera. The threads also seem to be better machined, as the filter goes on and off more smoothly than the Tiffens.

Any sort of cleaning seems to remove part of the multi-coating. There was a dust-like spot on a brand-new Sigma, and when neither a Rocket Blaster nor a Lens Pen could remove it, I tried ethanol lens cleaner with both a cleaning cloth and a Pec Pad. Some of the multi-coating came off and smeared: I bought three of these filters, and could compare an untouched one with the cleaned one. The untouched one has a "greener" reflection than the cleaned one. Both are still a lot better than the Tiffen.

Turns out that cleaning the second Sigma filter with just a Lens Pen also removed some of the multi-coating, so maybe it wasn't the ethanol. I could try water or soap-and-water on the third one, but am not anxious to do so until necessary.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good except dirty and small scratch, November 30, 2009
This review is from: Sigma DG 52mm Multi-Coated UV Filter (Electronics)
This UV filter is multi coated. Dont bother with non coated filters because they ruin your photos. My only complain about this filter was that it came dirty with lots of specs stuck on the glass. I cleaned it up but there is still one little dot left but since it was near the edge, I let it be. Didnt want to deal with returning it. Used it with my f1.8 35mm nikon lens.

Edit: It looks like the Coating on the glass comes off very easily with cleaning. I changed my rating from 4 stars to 3 stars because of this. I use this filter with a hood to protect my protection filter!

5.0 out of 5 stars Obviously works well, right out of the box, July 8, 2010
This review is from: Sigma DG 52mm Multi-Coated UV Filter (Electronics)
Very clear. Looking through the filter straight on, it's basically invisible. (Reflections show at shallow angles, of course, but that's not relevant.) What is interesting is that I could tell it filtered UV without even putting it on the camera! Our office has coated windows to cut down on infrared and visible light. (We're in Tucson, it's hot in the desert.) It is obvious that ultraviolet light is still coming through at full strength, since some white things are visibly fluorescing.
The filter casts a yellow "shadow" when it blocks window light from fluorescing paper, but when I move the filter aside from the paper, so I can still look through it at the paper, but it doesn't block window light from the paper anymore, the paper is completely purplish-white, not yellow at all. Cool!

And it's nice that it has a metal ring threaded on both sides, instead of a plastic ring. I just had to make sure I threaded it carefully when putting it on my Canon 50mm 1.8f II (plastic).

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything a photo filter needs to be., September 2, 2010
This review is from: Sigma DG 52mm Multi-Coated UV Filter (Electronics)
A photographic filter installed on a lens becomes an optical element in that lens system. This filter by Sigma is multicoated like all the other elements in the lens, and does not introduce any reflections into the lens system.
It also has the best and most practical finish I've ever seen on a filter. The metal band surrounding the glass is TEXTURED. Really grippy. Wow, does this ever help in screwing the thing on and off. Very helpful.
Given the anti-reflective coatings on the glass and the grippy texture of the band, I would always look for Sigma filters in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice UV filter..., April 17, 2008
This review is from: Sigma DG 52mm Multi-Coated UV Filter (Electronics)
To protect my newly purchased Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR Zoom Nikkor Lens, I needed to find an adequate UV filter. This was a great purchase. You can tell that it is solidly built. I thought about buying a cheaper filter, but decided not to skimp and pay $15 more. And it was sure a good choice!

When buying a UV filter for your lens, this is the one to get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic quality, incredible price, December 2, 2009
This review is from: Sigma DG 52mm Multi-Coated UV Filter (Electronics)
Did side by side comparison with Hoya's basic $7 52mm UV Filter - the difference is night and day. C'mon, you've spent hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on your DSLR / lens / tripods / accessories all for that flare- and ghosting-free image. Don't skimp out on a quality filter - it's the only thing between your subject and your glass.

This filter is an incredible bargain - high quality multi-coated glass at 1/3 of the price of similarly crafted filters. Go out and get one now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Real multi-coated filter - Low profile, November 16, 2011
This review is from: Sigma DG 52mm Multi-Coated UV Filter (Electronics)
It is a thin and real multi-coated filter. The best quality filter I have seen. I bought other generic filters like Massa, Zeikos etc; but they are just a plain piece of glass no matter what their description says.

Sigma is a real filter. How do I know? If you tilt the filter in light reflection, the light bulb's reflection should appear green or blue. This filter reflects the light bulb with green tint, so it has multi-coating.

It is very good and offers lens protection. I kept it on my lens all the time and will never take it off. Worth the money and do not go for cheap imitations. Sigma UV filter is the best for the money.

Rate and Discover Movies