4.0 out of 5 stars Almost impossible to review.
Published on November 21, 2010 by Coronet Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Good photos in good light but .....
Published 6 months ago by Roland Rashleigh-Berry

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost impossible to review., November 21, 2010
This review is from: Sigma DP1x 14MP FOVEON CMOS Sensor Digital Camera and 2.5 Inch LCD (Electronics)
I have, use, and mostly love the original DP1. The DP1 has enormous shortcomings but its one saving grace is that the image quality at low ISOs is simply better than cameras with smaller sensors--which for now, means all P&S cameras, until the Fuji x100 arrives. This is not an issue of how megapixels are counted or Foveon sensors. Its the bigger sensor and the lack of an anti-aliasing filter. So the test reports that say "The camera sucks unless getting the sharpest, most detailed image is your top priority" are correct. But the DP1 has more than its share of problems so I had to know if the DP1x solved them.

The answer, amazingly, is that the DP1x its dramatically better in most ways but in at least one, its worse. The good news: Blue skies, which were cyan with the DP1 are now a beautiful "polarizer" blue. Neutral grays, which were a sort of green/cyan on the DP1 are now almost neutral. Reddish blotches of color noise (the hardest thing to correct with the DP1) are only visible upon careful inspection of even-toned areas. Green corners are almost gone (yea!). Startup is a little faster, the LCD is brighter (although still low res), the quick access menu is great and in general, things are a little snappier (firmware 1.1). This increase in speed is nice because its now feasible to shoot everything in brackets of three, to make sure the highlights are under control.

So what's not to like? Well, the buttons are a little cheesier and wigglier than on the DP1, and for some reason the DP1x simply won't focus in low light or if the subject isn't contrasty. When I say "won't focus" I mean its not as good as the DP1 and that's saying something. In good light, the DP1x AF is fine and its a little faster than the DP1. (Interestingly, the original Ricoh GR Digital had much better focusing than the GRD II so maybe this is somebody's idea of evolution).

Should you get a DP1x? Not for $600, but after the holidays for $450? If you're used to using the DP1 slowly and methodically and would like to spend less time color correcting, yes. If you like Foveon saturation but wish it was a little more accurate, yes. If you're happy or ecstatic with what you're getting from the DP1 or DP1s, I'd say stick with with what you have. The Fuji x100 won't have any of these problems but it will cost a grand and still have just a 35mm equivalent lens. The bottom line I guess is that comparing Sigma DP cameras to other point and shoot cameras is pointless. Its almost as if they are in a different category, both better and worse than the best from Canon, Ricoh, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for me..., January 24, 2011
PDNY (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
As many others have eloquently said, this is one interesting little camera. Instead of Sigma, it should branded "Enigma". Based on the pictures I saw on Flickr and DP review, the DP series had me drooling. I could not wait to get my hands on one. I researched and read a lot about it everywhere on the internet. The red flags were there, but I thought I could handle it.
I currently own an Olympus E30, EP-2 and Panasonic L1 as well as LX3, plus a bunch of lenses.
I was looking for something different and I did find it. I really wanted to like this camera, but the previously documented cons outweigh the pros. In all fairness, I only had the camera for three days and I mostly shot indoors and I took some night shots as well. In other words, I did what the DP1x is not really strong at. I used a variety of settings and ISO speeds. I did get some beautiful colors and detail but a lot of photos had also strange artifacts and some green and purple banding. The colors are there but I believe they can be replicated in other cameras if you jack up the saturation and vibrancy. I may be wrong about that, but at times the colors just seemed a little out of control, as much as I like saturated colors...
I tried AP, SP and P modes. The best mode in low light is P mode. The lens is too slow for AP and the camera ends up choosing really slow speeds and with no IBIS, there were a lot of blurry pics.
I understand that if you want maximum performance, you need to use ISO 50 or 100 and focus manually. I did focus manually, shot raw and used the Sigma PP software. To be honest, I am not gifted either at capturing or developing. Whenever I enter those photo challenges, I usually end up somewhere in the middle, so take my review with a grain of salt. I want my cameras to be responsive and user friendly. I take photos of my daughter, family and do lots of travel shots. I wish I had the time and patience to get really great at PP, something that this camera needs. I have a lot of respect for the people that get the amazing results they do from these DP series cameras. They work hard. I don't want to work that hard, but the DP1x taught me one lesson: I should always shoot RAW, especially with my LX3. I have no doubt that in the hands of a talented and very patient photographer, this camera really shines. Furthermore, if you are a Photoshop expert, you will be able to put your skills to good use. I give the DP1x four stars because I believe in it, but it's just not for the average amateur like me. I rarely return stuff (too lazy), but I am thankful to amazon for having such a great return policy, they do make it easy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, October 4, 2012
It's all about the results and Sigma DP1x doesn't disappoint. Even wide open the lens is super sharp, film like. There is super sharp digital style which I profoundly hate. This lens is sharp, neutral (Leica like), 'round' with deep colors. The focus is fast enough for most activities that do not involve kids running. I can get almost 150 raw shots per battery and I always have a $19 original spare, just in case. After a day shooting I'm always eager to get home and see the results on my computer. I've never had this feeling with any camera before (well, maybe with Leica X1).

5.0 out of 5 stars In the right hands...a master tool, November 9, 2012
I will say right now - do your research before buying this camera. This is a special tool that rewards your work with wonderful images. Most of my prints are from this and the DP2s. Like was said before, this is not an everyday point and shoot and you will be disappointed coming to this camera with that expectation. It is a great learning tool, and for those patient enough to master this camera...well let's just say you'll be hooked. Yes, frustrations and all cussing aside, you will be hooked. Will you be happy? Yes, because being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.

If you see this camera at a bargain price again don't hesitate!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous lens, November 9, 2012
I. Tang "tang1an" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I am happy I bought this camera on sale (unbelievable Amazon offer). Just like there is a place for LPs, oil paintings, hand drawings this camera is for someone with imagination and some skill. You are the artist, not the camera. I would say this camera is like top quality oil paint. In the hands of a master you get a wonderful result........in the hands of a novice, I dare not speculate.

I love this camera and it will be traveling with me a lot. It's the "Leica" I could afford.

Don't blame the camera if you take bad pictures, go take a class and keep trying. :)

The price popped back up by 400 dollars today so I can't believe I got one for 249. Should have bought 2.

Amazon please offer a sale for D2x too because I want one too!

5.0 out of 5 stars not your regular p&s, November 7, 2012
if you want p&s camera - look elsewhere / otherwise it's a mini dslr w/wide prime / sensor produces vivid life like colors and noise free below iso 100 / on a negative side - camera is really slow in powering up, focusing and shutter isn't as responsive as I would like it to be - so - not an action camera / wide lens is great ! may have to adjust your shooting style/habits ;) ! some footwork maybe involved! great camera for architecture, landscapes and still life photography as well as portraiture (posed - not candid!?) again - ! - this camera is for people w/knowledge of what they are doing in a very compact package! also could be a great learning tool (if you have desire to learn on the go!) controls are simple and easy to use! results this camera produces are impressive - especially - if you consider its size and weight!

considering all of the above - highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yeah, Baby!!!!!!!!, May 13, 2013
I am thoroughly enjoying my Sigma Dp1x. After all the reviews, I wasn't sure but that Faveron chip seemed to be calling to me; its website is a killer. After using it, I can say it has really brought back the fun in taking pictures. I think this chip will be to the digital chip what Kodachrome was to film. I am older and compare it mostly with my old Canon Ftb w/ 55mm 1.2 lens; ahh, that glass was large enough to see Sauron's eye! The Sigma Dp1x is slow ...ish but not so much as I worry about; it helped slow me down to take a better shot. Its Quick Menu has only what you need: simple! Sigma's Photo Pro software for the Raw works fine for me and then I put it in Aperture as a Tiff 16 bit (I think that's right). The detail that I get out of this crisp prime lens is a true crystal! My other camera is a Canon super zoom that has a ton of bells and whistles and does a nice job and if I zoom that lens all the way out, I can see just the edge of tomorrow! But I have to sharpen every print in Aperture. Never have I had to sharpen any of this Sigma's prints. I think I got a paper cut just looking at those last prints on my Mac. I am heading to Alaska in July, I'll be carrying my Sigma Dp1x and I'm letting my daughter use the Canon. Having used other SLR's (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Olympus) back before the digital age, then downsizing to the digital Super zooms ... it is a pleasure to use this Sigma Dp1x. It is nice to use a camera that cannot do everything but does one thing fantastically: a large sensor picture...and it fits in my pocket! ESPECIALLY AT THIS THROW AWAY CAMERA PRICE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really realy sharp, November 12, 2012
Have done research before placing order when it dropped to 249, it's just simply amazing to get this at that price.
Tried a few shots outside in sunshine, the first thing I noticed that it's so sharp! (after processing raw with SPP). Need to try more to get feeling about the color (which is supposed to be superp).
Compare with the photos shot by my Fuji X100, this one takes photo defintely sharper - under sunshine though.
Anyway, 249$ is just worthy it

4.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing but still good, April 27, 2013
The title may be confusing for some - let me explain. I previously owned a DP-1s. I was very happy with this little camera, both in image quality and build. I regretted getting rid of the camera as soon as it left my possession. Fast forward a year or so and I couldn't pass up a sale on the DP-1x.

The DP-1x takes great pictures, but for some reason they are not as good as the DP-1s. Don't get me wrong - the image quality is still great, but the '1x pictures don't "pop" like the '1s pictures do. The build quality was also not on par with the '1s. The buttons on the back rattled around and seemed made of cheaper materials.

Interface was about the same and the buttons were labeled a bit better than the '1s. Price was about $50 more, even though I got both on sale.

Bottom line is that this is a good camera, just didn't meet my expectations from the DP-1s. Still 4 stars though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good photos in good light but ....., September 27, 2013
For a start-off, the 14MP sensor is what normal people think as being a 14MP sensor and not the 4.65MP sensor it really is. This make it too small an image for publishing. This "confusion" arises from the Foveon sensor design in which each light well can record three different colours. But at the end of the day, you get a 14MB TIFF which means you have 4.65MP for each of the three primary colours. So don't buy this thinking you are getting a 14MP sensor because you are not, from a publishing point of view.

In good light this camera can take outstanding photos. The lens is very sharp right out to the edges. In the corners there is only a slight degradation of image quality and about a half stop vignetting.

There is no viewfinder. If you want one you have to buy a hot-shoe viewfinder and these are not cheap (~$175). The lens is sharp enough to show up camera shake and unless the light is good then there will be camera shake showing up if you try to snap shots from the screen at the back so a viewfinder is essential and something you would need to factor in to the price.

The rear screen is small. If you replay your shots and magnify to 10x then your shots will look out of focus on the screen when in fact they are sharp.

Colours are good except for bright coloured objects when it gets the hue wrong and I found it gave better results if I set it to florescent lighting. You can not set a colour temperature which is a big negative.

Photos at ISO 400 and higher are grainy and this for me is a big negative with the camera. There are some very good cameras out there like the Fujifilm X100 that perform excellently in low light. This Sigma does not and so limits its indoors usage.

When it takes shots where there is some bright light it can end up underexposing compared to what you see on the screen.

I give it three stars because its annoying features and limitations balance out its strong points.

ARRAY(0xa805fdf8)