5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pick
I bought this flash instead of Nikon's pricy SB700, and I have absolutelly no regrets. It has a wonderful performance with my D90, and is runs for longer than expected with my rechargeble AA batteries. A perfect choice for a enthusiast with a limited budget.
Published on November 11, 2011 by ERONDI P L JUNIOR

1.0 out of 5 stars SLOW and doesn't work with cowboy studios off camera triggers
Thank goodness I could return them, what a waste of money. Don't expect a decent recycle time if you're in a hurry
Published 19 months ago by Jacquelyn Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pick, November 11, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Flash, August 8, 2012
Power is the key feature of a good flash and this one has lots of it. Much better than my Metz flash at about the same price. This is a higher model than the Metz. But it is such a good deal at Amazon'a price.

02/13/13 update:

Very important issue with this flash: There is a built in diffuser that if you pull it out turns off the TTL Feature. The flash becomes manual. I found that out the hard way when I let my wife take some professional photos for me. The diffuser must be pushed all the way back where it must hit a switch. You can't use it with the flash set on TTL.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, flexible, December 28, 2011
Richard (VA United States) - See all my reviews
Love this flash. I can only name two faults with it:
1. It takes literally minutes to initially charge, even with fresh batteries. This is extremely annoying if I just want to grab the camera and take a quick shot.
2. The interface is absolutely atrocious. Each mode has a use but they're unintuitive and the button interface is clunky. I don't expect a touch screen but it'd be nice if we'd progress a bit from 1980s watch designs.

Works perfectly on my K-7. Get some gels and get flashing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and Simple., October 6, 2011
This is a great flash for beginners and pros that are using this on camera. As a professional photographer who primarily uses my flashes off camera I need a bit more flexibility than I did when I first started using this flash. The only negative thing I can find about this flash is that outside of the P-TTL mode, it only has two settings, High and Low. However, for anyone who is simply going to attach this to their camera's shoe mount this is perfect! P-TTL (auto adjusted flash) works great with my Pentax KX, my K10 and my K5. Since these cameras are at opposite ends of the Pentax line, I'm sure it will work for any of the Pentax models just fine. You can see how I have used it some at my site. [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Flash!, April 2, 2013
This review is from: Sigma EF-610 DG ST Electronic Flash for Sony Digital SLR Cameras (Electronics)
Love this flash! But I had to give it 4 stars because it doesn't stay on my sony a55 very well, it is a little lose, I have to be very careful with it because it is top heavy. It fell off once after owning it 4 weeks, landed on the floor and the plastic red cover to the sensor broke off. Great flash to though as an alternative to Sony to save you a couple hundred dollars...

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but useful for some purposes, August 5, 2011
Bhakti-rider (Buckingham County, VA USA) - See all my reviews
A much cheaper alternative to the 580EX II. I can only assume that the guide numbers are accurate, which would mean it provides a bit more light than the 580. There are a few areas in which it's definitely inferior to Canon flashes, and they're likely to have varying degrees of importance to different people:
* It only has three stopping positions when you tilt it upwards, and the first is maybe 80 degrees; the last is a bit backward.
* The battery compartment door is very poorly designed; it comes off easily and is tricky to replace (it isn't designed to purposely come off, it just does).
* There are only three modes in which it can operate: ETTL II, full power, or 1/16 power
If you're only interested in lots of light straight forward, or angled nearly straight up for bounce, in ETTL II mode, then this is definitely more cost-effective than a Canon flash.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasonably priced alternative to SB600, September 20, 2013
Good at fast recycle times and the rotating head is a plus, however if you add a dome diffuser to the flash head it easily flops over.
Otherwise a very good value for the $$$

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the price, June 23, 2013
Anne P. (Baton Rouge, LA) - See all my reviews
When you compare the price of this flash to others, you realize that it doesn't have to be 100% perfect to be worth it. It isn't perfect, but it's good enough. Sometimes the TTL doesn't get it quite right and you get slightly over- or underexposed photos, but it generally gets the job done as long as you know its limitations. If you're a professional, this model probably isn't for you. I had the "Super" version of this flash with my old Pentax and it had all the bells and whistles, more than I really had any idea how to use. I decided to go simpler with this one and I think it'll suffice for what I need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony a77, February 15, 2014
Work's amazing with my Sony a77. Recycle time is good just don't expect to shoot sports or paparazzi but for the price it's perfect for portrait shooting and for what I need it for which is real estate photography and works better then I expected. Because Sony has an EVF "Electronic View Finder" when you're focusing in low light you can see the beams of infrared assisting the Automatic Focus and it locked on to my subjects instantly. Matched with my Tokina 11-16 it still illuminates the room with the wide angle diffuser on and doesn't leave any dark areas anywhere in the image. I highly recommend this flash and if you've done your homework the Sony HVL-F60M over heats after 40 or so shots and it's $550 although it has amazing features the fact that it overheats so quickly is a no-brainer for me. The TTL on this Sigma EF-610 works awesome and if your still not sure and would like to see other choices check out the Metz 58 AF-2 MZ 58326S this is the next flash on my list to purchase. I've only had this flash for a week now and I'll update this once I've discovered some of it's strengths and weaknesses. Hope this review has helped particularly for the Sony shooters out there seeing as most reviews are aimed towards Canon and Nikon just wanted to assure you this works perfect for your a77 but if that's not the camera you're shooting with then you might want to see if it's compatible.

4.0 out of 5 stars On a Sigma DP2 Merrill with firmware version 1.5, September 26, 2013
nnyms (Bethesda, MD) - See all my reviews
The EF-610 DG ST works very well with the Sigma DP2 Merrill with the latest firmware update.

I did not want to spend a lot of money on the flash as for me this niche camera with great picture quality is a stop along my journey of photography. I can only practically afford to own one camera at a time. I once suffered from GAS and had an SLR with many lenses and accessories.

There are limitations to this flash that were not clear to me until I read the owner's manual. There are only two manual settings FULL and 1/16. In other words, the button on the back of the flash gives three choices, TTL, MH (FULL) and ML (1/16). Don't get confused: although this flash comes with a flash stand it does NOT have any slave functionality.

Note that you can adjust flash exposure compensation by 2 stops plus or minus in TTL mode. After two stops, the flash's TTL functionality does not appear to work correctly. For me, this is more an observation about the firmware on the camera than a problem I am experiencing.

Final comment, the small EF-140 flash works very well for non-bounced shots, as it is very powerful for its size and could be all you really need. But it is not powerful enough for bounce (with homemade light modifiers) in anything but the smallest rooms, widest apertures and higher ISO's (400).

Rate and Discover Movies