5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma 2X EX DG APO Teleconverter for Nikon AF Cameras
Published on February 16, 2007 by T. Spencer

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it but ended up returning it
Published on August 4, 2011 by Robert P.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma 2X EX DG APO Teleconverter for Nikon AF Cameras, February 16, 2007
After reading the two reviews above, I was somewhat baffled. If you do any research on this product, you will find it clearly is made only for use with Sigma lenses, not Nikon lenses. The instruction manual that comes with the converter even lists which specific Sigma lenses to use. If you want a converter for Nikon lenses, buy the Nikon TC-20E (retails for more than twice the Sigma). Of course the quality of this product is poor when using a Nikon lens! I have a Sigma 70-200 zoom and it works beautifully; it is well worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful enhancement, within reason, May 21, 2009
Photoleif (colorado, usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sigma APO Teleconverter 2x EX DG for Canon Mount Lenses (Electronics)
This review concerns the Canon-compatible converter. First, to set things straight: this TC that I am reviewing is intended for only Canon cameras, and for Sigma lenses that mount on a Canon camera. Anything else, you're taking your chances (Nikonians, you have your own mount, so disregard that). Second, there are optical laws that invariably predict a 2-stop decrease in the amount of light hitting the sensor. And finally, glass, no matter which brand or how many exotic elements in it, has undesirable characteristics and you will always lose some amount of clarity, saturation and perceived quality (how much varies from lens to lens and eye to eye).

Now that those fundamentals are out of the way, the results and recommendations. I took several photos using this TC mounted on my Sigma 70-200/2.8 and my Sigma 150-500/5.6~6.3. I also attempted to mount my Canon 28-70/2.8L on it, but the fit did not work (it scrapes and sticks and will not lock into place), and thus I believe they are incompatible. I did not test it with my Sigma 10-20/4.5~5.6 for obvious reasons.

AF is maintained throughout the entire range of the 70-200/2.8, as advertised in Sigma's compatibility chart. MF is engaged electronically for the entire range on the 150-500/5.6~6.3, again per the chart. AF through the 70-200 is solid, accurate, and has no degradation of speed. MF through the 150-500 @ 500 is, as one should understand, a touchy process, though it's aided considerably by the optical stabilization function.

Image quality @ 500mm (really, 1000mm) is not spectacular (though what does one expect, given a maximum aperture of about f/12.9). I didn't expect wonders but I had hopes of better. Some of this is inevitably due to my challenge in focusing, which is difficult without a split-prism finder. The image quality is still fairly bright and saturated, but somewhat noisy-looking. Exposure was accurate. I need to test on monochromatic surfaces to determine what's going on with the noise.

Tripod-mounting the camera, lens and TC for the 1000mm (500mm doubled) test shots produced the best results, improving further with MLU enabled and use of an IR remote. Image quality @ 400mm (200mm doubled) is acceptable and this should be the recommended pairing of lens and teleconverter (70-200/2.8 with this TC). This pairing results in a decent-quality 400/5.6 for well below the price of Canon's prime and zoom lenses in this range. I won't claim that the image quality is better; just, it's decent, and you save a lot of money.

Build quality of the TC is fine and nothing is worth further comment other than that it's a solid, well-built TC with multicoated elements.

I wavered between a 3-star and 4-star rating. I have owned two other TCs, and they were unquestionably 1-star at best. I went with four for this one because of its good performance with the 70-200/2.8, maintaining AF with that lens, and having pleasing build quality (I have no concerns about taking it out and using it frequently). I am however disappointed about the performance with the 150-500/4.5~5.6. I would give it a 3-star for its performance with the 150-500. I think it should at least attempt AF, and if the user has to give up and set it to MF, fine. Here, we don't even have that luxury, and there's no explanation on Sigma's website or the product literature. So, if you are considering this to get yourself a cheap 1000mm lens, be aware of the drawbacks (full-time MF, somewhat noisy images, and challenging focusing in even overcast light). If you're wanting to extend a 70-200, this is the sweet-spot.

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like it but ended up returning it, August 4, 2011
First let me just say that I am NOT a pixel peeper. I am a professional photographer that realized, after years, that my clients are more concerned with the content of a photo than if it's a little soft. I have sold 16x24 prints even after pointing out to the client that it is not tack sharp. With that in mind I had reasonable expectations for this 2x teleconverter. I shoot a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens and wanted the teleconverter to get some more reach for recreational wildlife photography. I did not expect it to perform like a dedicated $1700 400mm telephoto lens. I figured it would be a little soft. The converter was compatible with the 70-200 and autofocus was fast.

After shooting with the teleconverter for 3 weeks I decided to send it back. I REALLY wanted it to work. The images were unusable for me. Like I said, I'm not a pixel peeper that obsesses over tack sharp images. Even my wife (a non photographer) asked by the images were blurry. I thought maybe it was my technique. So I mounted it on tripod, in the middle of the day with a fast shutter speed just to see if I could get something that was sharp. No matter what I did I got really soft images with what looked like a dreamy blur to them (think cheesy 1980s portraits) and color fringing.

I love Sigma glass. Its high quality, professional level equipment that will stand up to professional abuse. I shoot the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8, 18-50mm 2.8 and the 30mm 1.4. Amazing glass at a fraction of the cost as Nikon or Canon. But this 2x converter does not hang with the rest of them. Maybe I just got a bad copy but it sounds like others have had the same experience. Guess I'll just need to save up for the big boy: Sigma 50-500mm.

Hope this helps.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, May 2, 2008
I got this 2x converter to match the Sigma 70/200 2.8 lens. I have shot around 100 pics with this set up and have been very pleased with the results. I have shot wildlife to school track meets.
The only reason I couldn't give this converter a perfect mark is I can't use it with my other Nikon lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect addition to my slr setup, February 4, 2011
I bought this product primarily for use with my canon mount Sigma 2.8 70-200. So far it has performed exactly as it should. I havent tried to mount it on any of my other lenses, but according to sigma's website, it is built for use specifically with sigma lenses, which makes perfect sense. Obviously the 2x extender takes you down to 5.6, but to make a 200mm lens a 400mm is pretty well worth it in my opinion, though shooting a football game under low light wouldnt really be an option with the 5.6 aperture, any other decently well lit situations would work well with this extender. The autofocus seems to be working perfectly, as if the extender is not even there when using my Sigma 2.8 70-200. This product does exactly what it is supposed to do and is an awesome edition to any sigma lens setup.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, and Useful Accessory, June 2, 2008
Tom "wanderlust" (St. Petersburg, FL) - See all my reviews
overall, i like this teleconverter. I use this with the new sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II lens for Rebel XTi. the F-stop became 5.6 with teleconverter, but i get up to 400mm zoom, which makes quite a difference. While it's true that most of my pictures came out soft, but some pictures came out quite sharp- so it may just be me. there is some slight color distortion, but it's only more noticeable when you shoot macros.

i glad i got it. and it has allow me to extend my lens from 140-400mm, of which 200-400mm is a critical range for wildlife and sports.

Update: July, 08
Okay, after a couple months of using Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX II lens, I found out that the Macro function is almost useless because of its such poor quality (soft focus and CA)- so the F has to be 9 or greater...now when you add this Teleconverter your F number is going to be even higher (i found the sharpest image at F22!!).....lowest i try to get an usable image is around F15 or more. Now this is macro.

Just make sure you have plenty of light, and that the subject is far away and then this will be a great add-on for you.

UPDATE:
I originally bought this for my Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 Lens- and i really doesnt like its performance at the low F-stop (blurry, ca, and other problems), but i just got the Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS lens (and yes, it's much better than the Sigma!), and is pleasantly surprised to find out that this teleconverter works with it! in fact, the pictures came out better than the Sigma lens- so I think the picture quality issue is because of the lens not because of this teleconverter.

overall, you're still going to get the best picture quality without this teleconverter, but with 2x and Canon, I think this will produce a better picture than any 70-300mm lens out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sigma APO Teleconverter 2x for Sony, February 16, 2008
The reviewer who indicates this teleconverter is not compatible with Sony/Minolta lenses is mistaken. He should have checked the compatibility list. If he had, he would have found this teleconverter is compatible with the following lenses:

SIGMA AF 1.4X 2X

APO TELE MACRO 300mm F4 AF MF
APO 1000mm F8

Dr. Arthur Kirk

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good 2x converter, January 29, 2011
This converter works well with the lenses it is made for. I use it with my Sigma 70-200mm II lens and the results are what I expected. Some people have the idea that the photo taken with a tele converter should be as good as those taken without. Well I have news for them. When you put a converter between the camera and your lens there is going to be some degrading of the image. I don't care if it is a Nikon or Canon teleconverter, you can't expect a perfect picture. The Sigma 2x EX DG does a very good job, in fact I can't tell the difference between the photos taken with my Nikon 2x III coupled with the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR and the Sigma 2x and my Sigma 70-200 f2.8. I have both Sigma 1.4x EX DG and now the Sigma 2x EX DG converter and can recommend both.
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, does as expected, June 11, 2011
Noodles (Livingston, MT USA) - See all my reviews
I am using this doubler on a Canon T2i with a Sigma 120-400 APO.

The first thing you should know on most of the Canon line this teleconverter will disable the AF function. There's a way around that (just google it) but my camera didn't like it and focused poorly, so you are forced to re-learn how to focus manually. We have all been spoiled by AF I think. :)

I usually shoot only hand-held, that is no monopod or tripod. With the doubler on I couldn't get a sharp image to save my life. I at first thought maybe my eyeglasses were throwing off my focus so I switched to my contact lenses and had the same issue. I was a bit frustrated at this as most of my photography is of wildlife and I have always found tripods slow me down.

I next tried the setup with both my monopod and my tripod. The results were like night and day!

The images were sharp, not quite as sharp as without it mind you but extremely acceptable, and the ability to focus improved now that I wasn't spending all the energy trying to keep the camera still.

So, unless you have the eyes of an eagle and the steadiness of a demolitions expert, buy this doubler with the idea of using it on a monopod or a tripod for best results and you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Affordable and quality, September 11, 2007
Andi "photosbyandi" (Las Cruces, NM, USA) - See all my reviews
I've used Canon lenses, Tamron and Sigma. All are fine products. For my money I have found that Sigma works well, without the high cost of Canon.

Currently, I'm using my extender with a Mark III and mainly my f2.8 70-200mm Sigma lense. I'm mainly shooting High School Football games with this combo & my Turbo 2x2. It's working out beautifully! I would highly suggest the Sigma line of lense, esp if you're on a budget.