Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > The Pirates of Penzance forum

Sign the petition for DVD release

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 15, 2008 1:30:27 PM PDT
Jenny says:
http://www.petitiononline.com/pop1983/petition.html

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2009 6:14:13 PM PST
please oh please release this on dvd myself and my 6 adult siblings and their spouses and my parents would be ecstatic

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2009 12:42:16 PM PST
HB says:
"This particularly rapid unintelligible patter isn't generally heard and if it is, it doesn't matter." Signed. Thank you for posting the link, I wasn't aware the petition existed.

Posted on Feb 8, 2009 9:57:15 AM PST
The best version, I'm wearing out my laser need the DVD...Jim

Posted on Mar 2, 2009 12:31:37 PM PST
This was just aired on cable. I hadn't seen it since the 1980's, and I had forgotten how much fun it was. Please bring it out in DVD, uncut. I want to give it to all my nephews.

Posted on Apr 16, 2009 8:58:59 AM PDT
It has been years since I signed up for a notifiction when this version comes out on DVD. I can't believe I am still waiting!!!!! Please Hurry!! I have worn out my VHS tape and am afraid my lazer disc player will crash, making my lazer disc useless!!

Posted on May 19, 2009 4:34:35 AM PDT
I recorded this of TV some 10 years ago...the poor old VHS tape is almost worn through - but I can't get it on DVD - yet?! Please release this - the best G&S EVER!

Posted on Oct 1, 2009 8:35:11 AM PDT
Ellie A. says:
Same as above....I recorded a vhs version; the sound was awful and I tossed it, never suspecting that it was irreplaceable! There is a dvd of the Broadway play, but it is sooo hard to see or hear anything. Bring out the film, please!

Posted on Nov 11, 2009 10:56:00 PM PST
Chris Walker says:
It's on Hulu.com now at near-DVD quality. Maybe a DVD/blu-ray is now more feasable?

http://www.hulu.com/watch/99587/the-pirates-of-penzance

Posted on Nov 30, 2009 1:22:37 PM PST
Anglophile says:
Please release this in a DVD version - making sure it's the MOVIE version with Kevin Kline, Linda Ronstadt and Angela Lansbury!

Posted on Dec 22, 2009 12:09:21 AM PST
MadDog says:
Release it on Blu-Ray NOW!

Posted on Dec 29, 2009 2:20:35 PM PST
Pen Up Girl says:
If you make it they will sell

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 10:51:07 AM PST
Steven Hall says:
Have money in hand!

Posted on Mar 29, 2010 4:55:04 PM PDT
J.C. says:
Please, please, please, please, please, please, release the "Pirates of Penzance" MOVIE version on DVD!!! It stars Kevin Kline, Linda Ronstadt, Rex Smith, and Angela Lansbury. The play version isn't as nice and we all would rather have the movie version, as it is tons better! Thank you.

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 8:52:07 PM PDT
R. Siegel says:
GREAT NEWS. I have a family member in the industry and learned today that Pirates of Penzance (yes,the movie) will be released by Universal on DVD September 14, 2010. The picture and sound have been completely remastered for quality. No word yet on a possible Blu-ray, expect a formal announcement soon!!!!!!!!!!! Oh happy day we joyous thee!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on Jun 8, 2010 8:54:30 PM PDT
R. Siegel says:
Might I suggest for Blu-ray fans like myself that you go to Universalstudios.com, on the bottom of the page is "contact us", then select "home video dvd and Blu-ray" and fill out the form, requesting the title to come out on Blu-ray as well as DVD. Maybe if we all work together they will consider it.

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 8:28:12 AM PDT
Kmer says:
Does anyone know what the phrase Ws Sub Dol means on the product description? Will it play on a standard DVD player?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2010 8:41:30 AM PDT
Silvermoon says:
I'm assuming that
Ws=Widescreen
Sub=Subtitles available
Dol= maybe Dolby Surround Sound or something

Again, that's just me assuming

Posted on Jun 12, 2010 8:50:23 AM PDT
R. Siegel says:
Silvermoon, you're probably right on all of those, unless Universal went out of it's way (which it does not usually do) and mixed the movie for Dolby Digital 5.1. it's always possible, but I believe this was Dolby surround in theaters.

Posted on Jun 13, 2010 6:28:03 AM PDT
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2010 9:10:33 AM PDT
Kmer says:
Thanks! That is great news!!

Posted on Jun 13, 2010 9:24:51 AM PDT
R. Siegel says:
Up for pre-order here on Amazon:-) I want a Blu-ray but since I waited so many years for the DVD, I will settle for that and enjoy it very much. Finally a widescreen version!!!!!! No more watching 1/3 of the musical numbers we can see the rest of the picture (of which almost 2/3 was cut off the sides for VHS, laserdisc and all television broadcasts).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  Mar 15, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 13, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Pirates of Penzance [VHS]
The Pirates of Penzance [VHS] by Kevin Kline (VHS Tape - 1992)
4.6 out of 5 stars (600)