Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 80 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2007 1:34:00 PM PDT
I don't suppose you'd care to tell us which "deal site" you found this on?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2007 1:40:01 PM PDT
KM says:
LOL. I know, my friends are hating me too! :)

http://www.dealsea.com (it's an awesome site for all kinds of deals).
I've been using it for the past 3yrs, they put awesome deals everyday.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2007 9:16:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2007 9:21:07 AM PDT
Colin Spence says:
Was it the BBC who made the decision to substitute David Attenborough with Sigourney Weaver ? I was under the impression that it was Discovery Channel who decided.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2007 1:11:36 PM PDT
Stormrider says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2007 4:08:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2007 4:09:07 PM PDT
MeowMix says:
For what it's worth, I think Sigorney Weaver does a great job narrating. Maybe people that saw the BCC version first are used to and thus prefer Attenborough(which is fine) - but it doesnt make Sigorney sub-par...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2007 5:10:33 PM PDT
I have had the Region 2 version since Christmas 06. Love it. I was brought up on Attenborough and would not listen to it any other way. By the way, I purchased a Pioneer DV-383, that is region free and converts a PAL signal to NTSC if you need it to. Does a great job of it too. My Region 2 Planet Earth looks outstanding - almost HD quality. It does that for only about $90, so bloody inexpensive too. At that price it could break after a year and I would still have my moneys worth. Don't expect it to though. My last Pioneer lasted about 6 years.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2007 5:33:30 PM PDT
> but it doesnt make Sigorney sub-par... <

Exactly. As for the suggestion made in one of these threads that Attenborough's narration was replaced with Weavers for make the show easier to advertise and market in America:

1) Again, the necessity of replacing the narration arose from the need to edit the episodes for time. If Attenborough had been williing/available/affordable I'm sure Discovery would have been delighted to have him. (Many documentaries made for U.S. television - not to mention many commercials created purely for the U.S. market - feature British narrators to lend a touch of imagined "class" to the product.)

2) The fact that Weaver did the narration was never advertised or made much of. The promos for the series didn't even *have* a voice over track - just music, sound effects, visuals and on-screen text ("5 years in the making", "2000 production days", "An epic television event") I wasn't even sure who the narrator was until Weaver's credit flashed briefly across the screen at the end of episode 2. I knew I recognized the voice, but I couldn't quite place it, and I missed the part of the episode 1 credits.)

And yes, of course Discovery made the decisions about how the series was presented in America. Why would the Beeb be involved?

As for the crack someone made in one of these threads about "that American actress who hasn't worked since the last 'Alien' sequel" - one of the *many* films Weaver has done since "Alien Resurrection" was "The Ice Storm" - for which she won the *British* Academy of Film and Television Arts Award as Best Actress. So somebody over there recognizes talent when they see it. <g>

Personally, I'm getting the BBC version. But I see no reason to dump all over poor Sigourney. (Especially when the dumping is mostly being done by people who haven't even heard her narration.)

Regards,

Joe

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2007 6:01:11 PM PDT
B. Victor says:
I really don't understand why the issue of narration continues to be discussed. It's very simple: If you want the Attenborough version, buy the BBC edition here, and if you want Weaver, buy the Discovery version from their store. Why is that so hard?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2007 9:57:03 PM PDT
yes you really dont understand.

the problem was that until a few days ago there was no clear statement about who would be nattaring the amazon version of the dvd. this lead many to wonder what they would be getting. it was not until people threatened to cancel pre orders and contacted amazon that amazon finally clarified that the version here is indeed the David Attenborough version.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2007 8:33:00 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 30, 2007 8:34:04 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2007 8:35:08 AM PDT
<simply owning a region-free player won't cut it. North American TVs do not display PAL video the way British TVs can>

It seems like you have a lot of knowledge about this stuff... so are you saying that if I purchase the Amazon version (Standard DVD set, BBC w/ Attenborough) it may not play on a "plain old" DVD player (I have no clue if mine is region-free...if that is something "special" then I probably do not)?? You also mentioned something about N.A. TV's not displaying video like British TV's. Does that mean the show will appear corrupted or something?? I have a Samsung DLP HDTV. If you reply, please speak in layman terms as I am not "Technologically" advanced!!!! Thanks!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2007 9:40:37 AM PDT
<<simply owning a region-free player won't cut it. North American TVs do not display PAL video the way British TVs can>>

> It seems like you have a lot of knowledge about this stuff... so are you saying that if I purchase the Amazon version (Standard DVD set, BBC w/ Attenborough) it may not play on a "plain old" DVD player (I have no clue if mine is region-free...if that is something "special" then I probably do not)?? <

My comment above was in reply to someone who had opened up a side-issue by raising the idea of importing a DVD intended for use in another country to watch here. This has absolutely nothing to do with the edition of "Planet Earth" being sold by the BBC here. This edition is intended for the North American market, conforms to the North American broadcast standard (NTSC) and is coded for region 1 (region codes are intended to control DVD distribution, mostly to prevent people in a country where a film hasn't even been released theatrically from importing DVDs from a country where it has come and gone from theaters.)

The only way you would run into trouble is if you went to Amazon.co.uk (the British Amazon site) and imported the region 2 disc which conforms to the PAL broadcast standard (which is not compatible with N.A. TV equipment.)

All of this stuff is basically irrelevant for American movie and TV fans except the handful who have a need to import international DVDs that were not released in this country or which were released in altered form. The question arose because this page mistakenly listed Sigourney Weaver as the narrator for the edition being sold here, and people wondered if they'd have to import a set from the U.K. to get the Attenborough narration and the additional footage. Since we now know the answer to that question is "No", the whole thing is now moot.

Regards,

Joe

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2007 7:45:42 PM PDT
Right on!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2007 5:58:44 AM PDT
Thank you very much for your information and reply.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2007 7:00:35 AM PDT
You're most welcome.

Joe

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2007 6:00:42 AM PDT
Jim says:
This is late, but our local Sam's Club has the BBC version for about the same price as Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2007 11:18:42 PM PDT
Aidan says:
A $50 Philips region free player will output the correct format to a standard def television. Your whole last paragraph is an incorrect assumption.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2007 6:25:53 AM PDT
> A $50 Philips region free player will output the correct format to a standard def television. Your whole last paragraph is an incorrect assumption. <

1) You cannot easily buy a region-free player of any description in the U.S.

2) Not every region free player will convert a PAL signal to standard def NTSC. We're talking about different completely different video standards.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2007 4:41:48 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2007 8:06:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 28, 2007 4:05:22 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2007 12:50:20 PM PDT
evrafter says:
Y'all...you can also get the BBC version at Best Buy. In fact, it's the only version they sell. And, yes...it already is set to play on a "normal" Americanized DVD player :-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2007 12:56:40 PM PDT
> Y'all...you can also get the BBC version at Best Buy. In fact, it's the only version they sell. And, yes...it already is set to play on a "normal" Americanized DVD player :-) <

You can buy the region 1 BBC edition at every retailer in America *except* the Discovery Channel Store and website. They're the only ones offering the version they aired.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2007 8:05:15 PM PDT
Min says:
So where can I get the Weaver version cheap? I preordered this version back at the beginning of March when it listed Weaver as the narrator. I have many Attenborough DVDs, but Weaver was a blessing. No more choppy sound. David is wonderful, but his age is sounding in his voice and he is no longer pleasant to listen to. I enjoy Weaver much better. Is the Discovery Channel Store the only place to get the Weaver version?

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2007 10:47:23 AM PDT
A Full Heart says:
The only place the Weaver version is available is at the Discovery Channel Store online at: http://shopping.discovery.com/product-65140.html. It can also be purchased on Ebay, but neither of these places is all that "cheap". It will run you around $80+ either place.

I'm with you that I much preferred the Weaver version...probably because that is the one I heard first, so I was used to her (and I like the script better). Then when I heard of the "controversy" over the change in narrator, I listened to the other version and didn't understand why his version was all that special. Anyway, hope that helps. I recently purchased this for my dad for father's day, and it is en route to me as I type.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2007 12:01:02 AM PDT
sweet-one says:
Hello,

Why in the world does everybody prefer hearing a narrator with a british "accent" ? ...

I watched the Sigourney Weaver version on Discovery and both me and my husband think she did a great job.

She's soft spoken and relaxing ...

I will deffinately purchase the American Weaver version of this, and "not" the BBC version.

One thing i cannot stand is listening a narrator with a british accent, most of which i can't understand.

~ :o)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  47
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 19, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Planet Earth: The Complete BBC Series
Planet Earth: The Complete BBC Series by David Attenborough (DVD - 2007)
4.6 out of 5 stars (4,076)