Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Silenced (Silenced Series Book 1)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 18, 2013
WOW! Where do I literally start with this book. I was intrigued by the story line and when I realized it was about a girl a teenage girl cutting herself it made me think of a person who is really really close to me. It was like most of her story was being written. With the way Amber was treated at school because she was different, the problems with her family life, only have 1 best friend and then another who just did not seem all there at times. To even the boy who knew about her cutting herself and did not want her to do it again because he was afraid for her.

There were a few things that got to me a bit in this book.
One thing I do wish the author would have gone into detail about is when she started cutting herself exactly. How did her and her friend start and why?
What was up with Casey? It was like she was a bit crazy in my opinion. She would be fine one minute, then the next be upset. I wonder if she knew the truth with Amber's family.

The way Amber treated her mom I can relate to that part because I have seen someone act that same way!

I loved reading how Amber's boyfriend was his safe haven, and I know how important it is for someone to have a safe haven when they are hurting themselves. This book really opened my eyes to what some teenagers do out their and it made me ask questions to the person close to me about the whole cutting scene. The way the darkness was described I could almost feel it myself in this book.
This is a hard topic for anyone to talk about as it deals with depression and the need to relive oneself from everything even for a few minutes to a day to a week.
RaeBeth hit the head of the nail on this book, and as I see there is a book 2 I am SOOOOOOOO GOING TO BUY IT.
Thank you again RaeBeth, for writing a book like this that brings something so sensitive to others and brings up the subject in a way that is not pushy for people to understand. You write it in a way that gets others aware of things like this happening.
on December 30, 2012
This book was full of shocking events and gives you an insight into the life of a cutter. What's a cutter? That's exactly what I asked!! I have never, ever heard about cutting. Made me think of what people go through and how many of us have no clue about issues like this. My heart went out to Amber. I wanted to help her. It gave me a whole new perspective about different types of depression. Depression is very hard to deal with and until you go through it yourself, you just can't seem to understand it. It's not something you can control. Yes, there is help out there but not everyone knows how to reach out and seek for help. This book shows that they are not alone in the battles they face with depression. Amber is a typical teenager who wants to just fit in by being herself. She goes to school, gets good grades, finds love and still experiences what some teenagers do and its hard for her to adjust to the lies. Especially if you have been living one all your life, thanks to your own mother!!!!!
I can't wait to read the next Chapter in this series!!!
I think people need to read this book and get a perspective on what actually happens and how depression affects us all!!!

I want to thank Raebeth Buda for educating me and bringing this issue to life. Sadly I had no idea about this and I hope that she is able to reach to anyone who may be going through this and giving them hope for a better LIFE!!!
on February 4, 2013
I believe Silenced by Raebeth McGee-Buda is an excellent and important book. It brings teen depression and the phenomenon known as cutting to the forefront and could let someone with these maladies know that they aren't alone with what they are feeling. Raebeth's writing style is good and gives the reader a sense of realism. It made me believe that this was written by a teenager rather than an adult woman. If I may indulge and show one sample, that for me sums up her writing style in a touching way:

"I stop talking and head out of her office. I trudge to my room crying. The pain's flowing generously right through my body. It's attacking my delicate heart that tries so hard to be strong." -From Silenced by Raebeth McGee-Buda

If I had but one negative comment it would be that I had trouble knowing who was talking or texting within the dialog. But this could just be that she uses a more modern approach to dialog than I am used to.

All and all, I think this book deserves a 5 star rating and should be read by all. The ending is fantastic and I look forward to reading the next volume.

-Dennis Higgins, Author
on December 18, 2012
Wow!! RaeBeth did a great job writing this book! I usually have a difficult time getting into a book. However, that was not the case with Silenced. I was instantly drawn in and hooked. I could not put the book down and finished it within 24 hours of downloading it onto my Kindle. This book will help show others that they are not alone in the battles they face with depression. Through the words I was able to feel connected with the characters, like I was going through the scenarios right along beside them. I have never had a book draw me in and fill me with that connection. Great job RaeBeth, I wish you many great successes!!
on December 13, 2012
This is only based on the first segment, but I can tell from style and substance that this will be an important book. I cannot begin to speculate about where it will go, but within about 3,000 words, the author has made me care about this young woman.
on December 17, 2012
I was excited to read this book as it was given to me for an honest review, and I could tell by reading about the book that I have not read anything else like it before. I was not disappointed after I got into the book. Amber's journey starts out with a move to a new home, learning that a truth she has known all her life turns out to be a lie, she starts cutting herself for release. Everything that she feels as a reader I could feel, the descriptions of the scenes in the book were amazingly well written.

As I took the journey through Amber's eyes, I wanted to know more about her, about her life in general and more about the lie she's lived with all her life. Finding out the truth at a time when she did, caused Amber to spiral down into the darkness, depression sets in and she starts cutting for release. At this point I wanted to reach into the story and help her as I would with anyone whom I know in real life. She becomes friends with a few from her new school and things start to look up for Amber, her friend Casey is like a new sister to her. She also meets Landon and hits it off pretty well, he turns out to be her rock, something she can look forward too and this helps her to keep from cutting so much.

The author ends on a note that has me curious, wondering what is to come and wanting to know more. I can't help it author's all have a tendency to do this to readers, some more than others. As I finished Silenced (Silenced Series) all I kept thinking about is what's next, I want to read on. And that my dear readers is what every reader wants in a book, any book they read. <3 You Raebeth, be sure to let me know when I can expect your next book!
on January 22, 2013
How can I even begin to review this book. It was amazing....I couldn't even put it down!! I was given this book by the author for an honest review. I really liked the way Raebeth writes. She is able to portray a vivid picture with her words and that is a plus for me when reading. I felt like I was with Amber, while she was at her low points, sitting in her bathroom cutting herself. I was really happy for Amber when things were going well for her, but I was waiting for something to go wrong. I was totally thinking it wasn't going to happen, and the story would just end happy, but fall flat of the actual message of the story. However, Raebeth pulled it all together at the end and blew me away. Her writing flowed and it was very addicting. I loved all her twists and turns and the way different situations come into play.

I really loved the main character, Amber. She was a strong lead and she was a really down to earth, real person. Her life problems were real things and it wasn't overpowering, which is great because it was believable. I also loved Landon. I really need a man like that in my life. He makes my heart melt. Ladies, trust me, you will be in love. Romance isn't dead!! He was a wonderful compliment to Amber and he always made me smile. As for Casey, I wasn't a huge fan of hers because she reminded me of a friend I use to have and that brings back bad memories. She wasn't the nicest person and as things progress, I disliked her more and more. However, she was a great character for the storyline and she makes the progression make perfect sense.

Overall, I would rate this book a 5 out of 5 for a real and emotional storyline, great main characters with perfect side characters, and an awesome cliff hanging ending. Raebeth, you rock and I can't wait for book 2!!
on December 18, 2012
I have gone through depression most of my life, I have never been able to put into words the feelings that I feel every day of my life. The beautiful Miss Raebeth did that for me. I could not believe my eyes as I read Amber's feelings and the darkness that enveloped her I literally had tears rolling down my cheeks. I am actually going to take this book with me to my next therapist appointment, I have each page marked on a piece of paper so I can easily look it up while talking, and I will FINALLY be able to express in words how I feel inside. I have never resorted to cutting as Amber did but I totally understand the release that it gave her.

I got more and more mad at her mother as the story went on, the bold out right lies were atrocious! I was on the edge of my seat and unfortunately I am STILL on the edge of my seat! I want more! I cannot wait to see what happens in the upcoming books. I pray they come out soon because I am hanging by a thread just as I was hanging by Raebeths every word!

I would recommend this book to anyone with children/teenagers whether you think they might be depressed or not, or family members/friends that might be going through difficult times because this truly gives a great perspective into the mind of someone who might have the same feelings as Amber did throughout the book. at the end of the book I was SHOCKED! everything is going so great for Amber and then.....AAAHHH!!!

Great job Raebeth! I, as said before, cannot wait for the next book!
on December 16, 2012
I was gifted a copy of this book by the author. This is a deep look into Amber's life. Amber is a troubled teen who finds out the man she calls dad is actually her step father. After finding this out the family moves into a new town for her senior year. Amber meets Casey who quickly becomes her only friend. Casey is also troubled and can easily relate to Amber. Amber's life turns around after meeting Landon and quickly falls in love with him. This story is full of shocking events but gives you a great view into the life of a cutter. I can't wait to read the next book, the cliff hanger at the end still has me shocked!
on January 22, 2013
This is a fascinating story of a woman suffering with depression. I struggled to put this book down!

Amber is a teenager who has had several changes in her life. Not only is her father not her father, but moving to a new home town and trying to make new friends has her feeling like her life is spiralling out of control. Her only respite from the emotional pain seems to come from the physical pain of cutting. I loved Amber's character. Having one set back after the other is enough to drive anyone into depression. I just wish that she didn't feel the urge to self-harm.

This is an emotionally laden story that brings into focus the effects of depression. Many people feel depressed at one time or another. However, sometimes the emotional pain is too much for one person, and they resort to diversionary tactics to try to make themselves feel better. Some do extreme sports, others overeat and a few self-harm. Amber is one of those who feels the release of endorphins after she cuts. Luckily, I have never had depression so bad that I have had to go to such extremes. I've had mild depression (who hasn't?), but I completely empathised with Amber. What surprised me is that no-one seemed to suspect that there was anything wrong. I suppose that people only see what they want to see. Just like eating disorders, severe depression can lead to unhealthy and dangerous behaviour. If undiagnosed, those suffering depression can spiral down to suicidal tendencies. I have had a few people I know take their lives due to depression. I felt completely helpless, as I had moved thousands of miles away, and had not spoken to them for a while so had no inkling at all.
If you or someone you know is prone to depression, I seriously suggest that medical advice be sought as soon as possible. There are medicines and support groups that may be able to help. I am now looking forward to reading the next book in the series.

Raebeth McGee has written a powerful story that is a MUST READ. Her descriptive words, and the flow of the story, carried me on a rollercoaster of emotions. I shed more than a few tears, so a tissue may come in handy! I highly recommend this book to the older YA age range (15+) and adults alike. - Lynn Worton