5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, December 27, 2008
Jay Paul (South Burlington, VT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent City (Audio CD)
I recently heard a track from this CD on WRUV-FM at the University of Vermont. I had to stop everything I was doing and listen in awe. Iranian Kayhan Kalhor is internationally renowned for his magic with the kamancheh (a Persian spiked fiddle). Brooklyn Rider is a string quartet based in New York City but with an international reputation as well.

This collaboration has it's roots in musical friendships formed at Tanglewood in 2000, where musicians had gathered for Yo-Yo Ma's Silk Road Project. A trip to Iran followed in 2004, and then three of the pieces were developed in 2005-2008. Arrangement of the longest piece, "Silent City" (29:10) was commissioned by the Carnegie Hall Corporation.

The result of the musicians' efforts is a work of musical beauty that brings together Persian myths and classical traditions with contemporary Western music of the classical form. The musicians are listed as: Kayhan Kalhor - kamancheh, setar; Colin Jacobsen - violin; Jonathan Gandelsman - violin; Nichilas Cords - viola; Eric Jacobsen - cello; Jeff Beecher - bass; Mark Suter - percussion.

Believe me, I wouldn't take the time to write this if I wasn't simply enthralled with this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good one, May 15, 2009
This review is from: Silent City (Audio CD)
I believe that this album is great, but don't expect to be impressed first time you hear it. Give it some time...
"Silent city" track is 30 minutes long with a VERY slow way of story telling. follow it with patience, and after 30 minutes, you will find the end of this nice story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, February 13, 2010
This review is from: Silent City (Audio CD)
I've heard Kayhan Kalhor's other group, "Ghazal", and have come to appreciate his work. So, I decided to try this album. Yikes! It's slow to build up, but the story is enthralling. The music ends up being exciting and optimistic! Wonderful to listen to. I would try his Ghazal albums as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A treat for your soul, April 6, 2011
This review is from: Silent City (Audio CD)
I first heard Silent City during the Silk Road Ensemble directed by Yo-Yo Ma in Houston. I was mesmerized by Kalhor's use of Kamancheh, an instrument with complex deep hues and its ability to take the center stage among other instruments. It is probably as much the use of Kamancheh (in a specific setting) that matters as the deep sound from the instrument itself. I agree with some of the other comments regarding the length (almost 30 mins) of the piece. However, it is worth going through the entire piece and sticking with it. I discovered that the build-up achieved by Silent City is very unique and certain parts of the piece stay with you in a very personal way. Mood, as in anything else, can be both an influencing factor in how one experiences Silent City, as well as in heightening one's (auditory) senses. This was a great introduction for me to Kamancheh and Kalhor's art.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is FLAT OUT AMAZING..., February 28, 2014
Moerne (Louisville, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent City (Audio CD)
... not much else to say. Kalhor is an incredible musician (kamancheh, a Persian bowed string instrument) and Brooklyn Rider is just one of those contemporary classical groups that you would just love to play in. Get a listen to "Beloved, do not let me be discouraged" online somewhere, then prepare to order this immediately.

Silent City
Silent City by Kayhan Kalhor (Audio CD - 2008)
Rate and Discover Movies