5.0 out of 5 stars Insulted Hill
Silent Hill has garnered a massive fanbase from lovers of Survival Horror games, and with good reason.
The games are extremely dark and atmospheric, with lots of fog and very little light to get by with.
Strange creatures and bumps in the night can be heard constantly, no matter where you are. Every moment
is fraught with tension. The stories are...
Published on March 24, 2012 by Charles Jo Harder

1.0 out of 5 stars Apparently ported from Beta source code...
The Silent Hill HD Collection should have been a love letter to fans, but instead, it turned out to be a technical disaster on many levels. Missing textures and crackling audio was just the tip of the iceberg. What went wrong?

Published on May 25, 2012 by Jim

5.0 out of 5 stars Insulted Hill, March 24, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Silent Hill HD Collection - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
is fraught with tension. The stories are character-driven, the music is sublime and emotional, yet appropriate,
and the graphics are clean, especially when they're dirty as a bloody mop in a rusted toilet stall.
The reviews are in, and they have been for the last 6-10 years. Silent Hill 2 and 3 are the core of the
Silent Hill experience.

What Konami has given us here is unacceptable. There are lag, framerate and audio loop issues that were
present in the original version of Silent Hill 2. The framerate on the PS3 is actually worse than it
ever was on the PC. My PC could handle it when it came out so there was no framerate issue,
(but there was still that audio loop). I have hardly played either of these two titles and I am already
disgusted at the level of disrespect Konami has for its own titles, as well as its fan base. Cut-scenes are
out of sync with audio by over five to six seconds to the point your mind thinks the game itself has crashed.
I am studying to be a game developer and designer and I am sickened by this business practice of milking a series without
putting in the hard (simple) work of properly coding a title to run on the console. If you can't be sure
you can make it run with old code, get into the code and fix the problem, or better yet, just don't make
any announcements. Come on.

There are three good things about this release. The cover art is very sensual and erotic. There is a beautiful
cover song during their "credits" on the front screen, and the new audio recordings are surprisingly good. The James
character feels very natural and as if he could have done the original voice. But unless these things are just absolute
"must-haves" for a collector, my advice is to just play the old games on the computer at a fraction of the cost
and render them at their highest settings.

Please don't support this product if you are a fan or thinking about becoming a fan. You don't deserve this,
Konami doesn't deserve your money, and Silent Hill itself sure as hell doesn't deserve this treatment.

EDIT: There has been a recent update for Silent Hill Collections and now I fully recommend playing both these amazing games through multiple times! Please enjoy! I take back 90% of what I said, but I still believe Konami owes it to their customers not to release broken products at the time of release.

Extended Edit: I've changed the score at the request of someone who read this review. These games are fantastic--some of the best, the finest of survival horror. Do not miss these games. They will chill you, touch you, or at the very least, take you to another world where you will ponder the nature of your existence.

1.0 out of 5 stars Apparently ported from Beta source code..., May 25, 2012
This review is from: Silent Hill HD Collection - Playstation 3 (Video Game)

Senior associate producer on the project, Tomm Hulett, has revealed to 1UP that Konami's porting crew had to work off a beta build of the original source code. Apparently, Konami couldn't find the source code belonging to the original gold master. Whoops.

"We got all the source code that Konami had on file -- which it turns out wasn't the final release version of the games," noted Hulett.

He added, "So during debug we didn't just have to deal with the expected `porting' bugs, but also had to squash some bugs that the original team obviously removed prior to release, but we'd never seen before."

On top of fixing bugs and other oddities in the pre-release code, the beta build wasn't complete asset-wise, either. Hulett says Konami had to rip textures and sound straight from the original discs and import them in. While it's an unfortunate situation, it's still no excuse for the crippled state the HD Collection was released in, we think. Konami should have bit the bullet and issued a delay, or canned the project altogether.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great games, horrible HD collection!, March 25, 2012
Cory "Cory" (Pasadena Maryland, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Hill HD Collection - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Let me start by saying the actual games are amazing. By this I mean the playstation 2 versions of Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3.

However, this HD collection is AWFUL!!! This game is nothing more than a big pile of problems and glitches. There are horrible frame rate issues, character slowdowns where your character starts running at half his normal speed, glitchy controls, horrible sound because the lip syncing is way off. When characters mouths stop moving you can still hear them talking. The colors are washed out in this version, and many effects that were in the originals are now missing, such as rust effects and fog.

There is literally nothing good about this collection. How Konami even allowed this horrible game to be released is beyond me because it feels like an unfinished product. Do yourself a favor and skip this game. We don't need to be supporting Konami for this horrible game.

1.0 out of 5 stars This game is completely broken., March 21, 2012
This review is from: Silent Hill HD Collection - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
The PS3 version of this game is completely broken.

In the two hours I have played the game I have encountered these issues

* The game struggles to keep a solid framerate. It constantly chugs and freezes for several seconds in a row, I thought the game had froze several times but it was just the awful framerate. This happens on both games.

* The sound is completely broken on both games, audio is constantly out of sync and half the time the audio cues simply do not work.

*The controller often seizes up on Silent Hill 2 and stops working until I let go of the control stick and let it reset. I can not walk in a straight line for more than 10 seconds because of this.

* The Textures constantly flicker and in a few cases failed to load at all.

* Silent Hill 3 has froze on me twice during a cutscene

This is simply unacceptable because they delayed the game several times and still had the gall to release it in a completely broken state. It is obvious that Konami does not care about the fans.

I did some internet research and this seems to be happening to many other people who have this game on PS3.

UPDATE :

March 22nd, 2012.

I downloaded the update and then re-installed the game and I am still experiencing every single issue I originally encountered without the update. The update does not seem to have changed anything at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken Travesty of a Port, March 23, 2012
This review is from: Silent Hill HD Collection - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
If you are a fan of the original games, you might buy this, and, excusing the bugs (for which there is no excuse), you might say, "ah, it's not as impressive this time around, but it's an old game..so I guess nostalgia was just affecting my recollection of it." However, it's to the point where objects and textures just abruptly 'end' in the background, making the game look more like an unfinished fan game than an actual released game. Also, if you were to take a look at the original games, or any other prior port, you'd realize that it's this particular port that's introduced all these graphical problems/missing effects.

On to the bugs. Often, they are game-breaking. My first time playing this version of silent hill 3 resulted in a black screen crash after the first area, and an audio file played that was not supposed to be played until near the END of the game. For someone who has never played before, this would spoil the entire plot for them! It also required me to hard power cycle my ps3. Essentially, it crashed my console.

The next time I played, I was able to make it to the first puzzle, in which you line up a series of books to see a scrawled number overlaid upon their spines. Well, the graphical 'layer' with the scrawled number was MISSING. Therefore, I could not solve the puzzle or proceed with my game.

As for the gameplay/performance bugs, let's see. There's an unsteady framerate, often dipping into the single digits as an enemy 'loads'. This freezes the 'noise/static' effect too, ruining the intended effect (as if the lack of fog, proper lighting, and new terrible textures didn't already do that). There's also a strange 'slo-mo' effect that I haven't seen since the NES days where you feel as if you're walking underwater. Then, there's the 'halting' controls where your character will just take a half step stop every now and then as he's running down the street. It's long enough to make you let go of the button and start again, but too short for that to help.

These ports have ruined the games. You are better off with the originals or ANY other ports. I am playing the PC ports on my television at 1080p, thus creating my own 'HD Collection' that's infinitely superior than this garbage.

Oh, I forgot to mention the bugged looping/missing music and sound effects, and new voice acting which (in the case of SH3) you HAVE to use. Oh well, I am sure the other negative reviews go into these problems more in depth.

NOTE: I'm returning my copy to Amazon as the game can be literally classified as 'defective'.

1.0 out of 5 stars Silent Hill: Slow Camera Edition., April 15, 2012
This review is from: Silent Hill HD Collection - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I'm a huge Silent Hill fan so it really hurts to give out one star to this long-awaited HD collection, it just makes me wonder: "What went wrong"? I already finished SH2 and I'm halfway through SH3, I'm actually trying to ignore the stuttering, sound glitches and ridiculously slow frame rate because I just love the early games of the series, but I feel like an idiot standing by this abomination when I can pop up my still working SH3 copy on my still working PS2 and blaze through the same areas where my PS3 is having such difficulties to render, why does it have to run so slow on a more powerful machine, why on Earth does it have to install 4GB's of data and what was that useless patch for? None of my other HD collections install data and they work fine, seriously Konami, you should consider bringing back Team Silent before you can even consider another franchise release, it's a punch in the nuts for all of us fans everytime you release a stinking pile of garbage like this with the Silent Hill brand on it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great games, terrible ports, March 30, 2012
RichterIX (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Hill HD Collection - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
This is well-worn ground at this point, but seeing this HD collection with even 2.5 stars is enough to make me want to try to get the score down even lower. These ports are plagued with issues that plenty of the other reviews have detailed (terrible framerate drops, sound glitches, missing fog, missing post-processing effects, mismatched lip-syncing, missing 5.1 surround if you've installed the patch and are using optical cables, dodgy controls that cause the character to pause every few steps), and the whole thing just seems shoddily thrown together.

I'm not even going to bring up the new voice acting and things like that; I firmly believe that, whether I like them or not, these things are subjective and are NOT the issues we should be focused on with these ports.

The whole thing is a real shame, because the parts that DO still work right look nice in HD. Silent Hill 2 and 3 looked fantastic for their time, and that really comes through when you can see it at high resolution. It's too bad that so much is missing or broken.

Good HD Collections like the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, the God of War HD Collections, the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection, and the recent Devil May Cry HD Collection have established that gamers will gladly rebuy older games if it gets them better support for current technology (widescreen, current resolution, surround sound, etc.) or even just gives them the chance to finally mothball their old consoles. However, game developers should PLEASE take note that even if people are big enough suckers to re-buy something they already own, it's kind of reasonable of them to expect that the new one will be at least as good as what they already have sitting around. I would have rather had an emulated PS2 Classics version for digital download on PSN than an amateurish port that breaks more than it improves. If this was at least patched to fix the lip-syncing and some of the missing effects (the fog, especially) and make the framerate and controls stables, a lot of people would really warm up to it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mostly disappointing port (PS3), March 24, 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Silent Hill HD Collection - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Let me first say that I still own Silent Hill 2 on the PS2 and have played it as a comparison following my disgust of playing the HD collection. I also own the PC version of Silent Hill 3 (though I won't refer to that one much, since I didn't play it for very long). I'm going to talk about the visuals a lot at first, afterall, this is an "HD" collection.

I'll start with the only solid good point the HD collection has. The in-game graphics is probably the first thing you'll notice about the game that stands out decently. They certainly updated character textures and color to play on HDTVs without straining your eyes much. This is obviously very important for the purpose of an HD port, because if you had to play with the PS2 in-game visuals on a 40-72+ inch screen, it wouldn't be pretty in the least. It'd still be playable, but that's not the point with this.

Now I'll get to the bad points. While not an issue to me, it may come as a surprise to others that the game requires you to install it to play. The box itself mentions it, so it's not as though they're hiding it or anything, but most just don't expect that. This installation is something that you may want to keep in mind for something I'll mention later.

When I started up Silent Hill 2, the first thing I wanted to do was watch the movie that plays after waiting a minute on the start screen. I wasn't expecting much beyond maybe a slight touch up of the original to maybe update the color, texture, or brightness slightly. A gentle and light polish if you will. What I got was a stretched or zoomed-in mess of the original. Objects and movement are blurry, textures are jagged, etc. I had hoped this was just because it was intro movie, but even the ones you view while playing the game are the same. Just go to youtube, look up the SH2 intro, and watch it in fullscreen. It's arguably BETTER than what you get with this PS3 ports version.

Having just seen it on the PS2, using the same TV I own, the original is a significantly better looking movie. The only thing about it is that it doesn't fully fit the screen, it's slightly boxed (about an inch). I guess Hijinx/Konami just wanted to avoid that, but decided to take the lazy approach and just stretch/zoom the picture. I, for one, would have been far happier with the PS2 boxed version. At least like that, I'd have some positive feelings towards it. It would still be an equally lazy approach to take, but it'd still look far better than it currently does.

Well enough about that, let's get to the other things. I want to mention a major problem with poorly done ports: Lag... lag, lag, lag. I'm not talking pauses or load times here (as one would hope those are next to gone due to the installation), I'm talking what seems to be graphical lag. SH2 has this lag/stutter occur almost non-stop due to what may be caused by the fog, which looks quite bad (pixels stand out a lot). SH3 on the otherhand doesn't suffer as much from this, instead it suffers slowdowns. Characters move slower, but they don't stutter much oddly enough. It actually kind of seems fluid in motion, but it just slowed down somehow. SH3 is far easier to manage a playthrough because of this, SH2 however... nothing good to say about trying a playthrough without getting irritated every 2 or 3 seconds.

It's interesting to note though, some review sites claim that SH2 ran well for them in the fog, but not SH3. If this is true, maybe there are people out there who might have experienced no lag... or the unfortunate possibility of people that experience it with both. It makes it feel like a game, gambling on the failures this port has to offer.

The audio for this port is quite a mess as well. The music that plays, referring to those intro videos again, seems to have been updated slightly. Everything else though, I can't quite say the same. The sound effects are the same as the PS2 version, which is okay for the most part, but some just really don't fit the updated in-game graphics. One that made me actually laugh was the footsteps of the first monster you see. It seriously felt like someone decided to pick some random 8-bit sound effect and threw it into the game. Somewhat fitting for the PS2 at the time, but not now and not with the way the game looks. I feel it should have been updated slightly as well, instead of just mindlessly thrown into the pot. The audio sync during cutscenes are somewhat decent for SH2, but it is horrible with SH3. The characters apparently have a background in ventriloquism and Heather's pistol has mastered the skill.

While I'm on the subject of sound, let's talk about the new voices a bit. SH2 gives you the option to choose the original voices or the new ones. Personally, I'd always go with the originals, as old games (even port versions) get their charm from such things. It's still a nice to have the option though. SH3 however, does not offer the original voices. From what I've played so far on the HD collection, it sounds all right I guess.

The controls are pretty much a port with a slight improvement to movement in SH2... and I do mean SLIGHT. The game still offers the 2D or 3D option, just as the originals did, but the reaction time in the port for 2D controls is a bit better. One annoyance I have is the text in SH3, as holding a direction while moving and checking things, will cause it to go away. This results in accidently missing out on one-time dialogue that is intended for immersion or background. I don't remember if this was an issue in the original SH3 though.

Summary: Only get this game in its current state if you REALLY want to play the games and have no means of playing the originals. Until the lag is fixed, I just can't recommend it at all otherwise. Given the treatment to problems with Downpour, one can understandably expect no fix to come for these problems. It's almost unplayable at times. Even the patch they released already for the HD collection did nothing to resolve these problems. I'd give it 1 star if it wasn't for the tolerable experience with SH3 I have so far.

Supposedly the 360 version isn't as bad, but still suffers from almost all of the same problems. Maybe try your luck with that one if you're desperate for this game. I've read the apparently removed Pyramid Head scene from the PS3 version, is left in the 360 one as well. Not sure what's going on with that. If you want an example of a GREAT HD port, look at Ico/SotC or the Metal Gear Solid HD ports. Those games are how HD ports should be done, so bravo to Bluepoint Games for their efforts. Hopefully Konami learns from this failure and sticks to Bluepoint like they did with their MGS HD. One thing is for sure though, I am not expecting good things from a Hijinx release in the future.

*UPDATE: Apparently, Masahiro Ito (the art and creature director/designer for the original Silent Hill franchise) stated his own disgust at the treatment this HD Collection gave to what he helped to create years ago. If that's not something to be said towards Hijinx or the people of Konami that OK'd this release, then I'm just at a loss of words.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unforgivable Slowdowns and Freezes (UPDATED: Post-Patch), March 27, 2012
T. J. Gill (Olympia, WA USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
UPDATED REVIEW (Post-Patch)
---------------------------
Got the patch installed, and, IMHO, the game (Number 2, anyway) is very enjoyable to play again.

VERDICT: If you were waiting (wisely) to buy this collection, now is the time!

What I have seen fixed by this patch:
-Fog is at the right levels, so scenery is no longer seen to just disappear in the distance.
-James's breathing is back to what a human sounds like. <--This was extremely annoying.
-No more random game freezes.
-Almost completely eliminated performance issues in fights.

What still remains:
-Overall speed seems to not be 60fps. Still totally playable, but it's not...well...butter. It's now on the level of maybe Dark Souls Blightown once in a while. Nah, it's not really that bad. But considering it's a PS2 port, this keeps it from being a 5-star product.
-One key scene played out strangely, missing a sound effect (spear in flesh, anyone?).

So, kudos to the developers working on the port, who brought beta source code from the original games up to speed for the PS3. And many thumbed noses at the publishers or whoever had the gall to release this thing four months ago as a "working" product.

Original Review Below
---------------------
(I am leaving out any subjective thoughts on changes from the PS2 versions so I can focus on the purely technical issues)

The technical bugs on the PS3 version are, sadly, not exaggerated in the least. I inserted the game disc, waited 10 minutes for the 297 MB patch to download and install, and experienced the following issues in 2 hours of SH2 gameplay:

- Slow framerate when baddies are around - This is intermittent and seems to generally occur when there is a baddie onscreen with you. Game slows to about half-speed. At first I thought there was some kind of stamina penalty for running around too much, since it can look like you're running through molasses. After 2 hours of play, I realized there was no rhyme or reason to it. This also affects combat, where your attacks occur very slowly about half the time. The rest of the time, they're quick and snappy. Again, no rhyme or reason.

- Jitters and freezes - This seems to occur when the slowdown is not enough to save the "poor" PS3. I have experienced these freezes of up to about
1.5 seconds when running from baddies. Just a straight up game-stopping pause.

These issues occured consistently through my two-hour play session. I played up until the point where you use the six-pack, taking my time with things to enjoy the upgraded graphics.

I want to love this game, so please fix it KONAMI/Hijinx, because it clearly is broken. I truly wish I could return the game until these issues are fixed. I feel tricked.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken., March 25, 2012
This review is from: Silent Hill HD Collection - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
This game is broken. It barely runs on PS3, the frame rate is awful, the fog that the game is known for is barely present and replaced by darkness that makes the game barely visible. The audio is frequently out of sync, and there are tons of other glitches here and there. Konami clearly put as little work as possible into this port, and merely tried to get it out as quickly as possible as a cash grab. This kind of behavior from a gaming company is unacceptable. DO NOT buy this until they patch this up, if they ever do.

Silent Hill HD Collection - Playstation 3