Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Video Game|Change

on May 25, 2012
The Silent Hill HD Collection should have been a love letter to fans, but instead, it turned out to be a technical disaster on many levels. Missing textures and crackling audio was just the tip of the iceberg. What went wrong?

Senior associate producer on the project, Tomm Hulett, has revealed to 1UP that Konami's porting crew had to work off a beta build of the original source code. Apparently, Konami couldn't find the source code belonging to the original gold master. Whoops.

"We got all the source code that Konami had on file -- which it turns out wasn't the final release version of the games," noted Hulett.

He added, "So during debug we didn't just have to deal with the expected `porting' bugs, but also had to squash some bugs that the original team obviously removed prior to release, but we'd never seen before."

On top of fixing bugs and other oddities in the pre-release code, the beta build wasn't complete asset-wise, either. Hulett says Konami had to rip textures and sound straight from the original discs and import them in. While it's an unfortunate situation, it's still no excuse for the crippled state the HD Collection was released in, we think. Konami should have bit the bullet and issued a delay, or canned the project altogether.
11 comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 24, 2012
Silent Hill has garnered a massive fanbase from lovers of Survival Horror games, and with good reason.
The games are extremely dark and atmospheric, with lots of fog and very little light to get by with.
Strange creatures and bumps in the night can be heard constantly, no matter where you are. Every moment
is fraught with tension. The stories are character-driven, the music is sublime and emotional, yet appropriate,
and the graphics are clean, especially when they're dirty as a bloody mop in a rusted toilet stall.
The reviews are in, and they have been for the last 6-10 years. Silent Hill 2 and 3 are the core of the
Silent Hill experience.

What Konami has given us here is unacceptable. There are lag, framerate and audio loop issues that were
present in the original version of Silent Hill 2. The framerate on the PS3 is actually worse than it
ever was on the PC. My PC could handle it when it came out so there was no framerate issue,
(but there was still that audio loop). I have hardly played either of these two titles and I am already
disgusted at the level of disrespect Konami has for its own titles, as well as its fan base. Cut-scenes are
out of sync with audio by over five to six seconds to the point your mind thinks the game itself has crashed.
I am studying to be a game developer and designer and I am sickened by this business practice of milking a series without
putting in the hard (simple) work of properly coding a title to run on the console. If you can't be sure
you can make it run with old code, get into the code and fix the problem, or better yet, just don't make
any announcements. Come on.

There are three good things about this release. The cover art is very sensual and erotic. There is a beautiful
cover song during their "credits" on the front screen, and the new audio recordings are surprisingly good. The James
character feels very natural and as if he could have done the original voice. But unless these things are just absolute
"must-haves" for a collector, my advice is to just play the old games on the computer at a fraction of the cost
and render them at their highest settings.

Please don't support this product if you are a fan or thinking about becoming a fan. You don't deserve this,
Konami doesn't deserve your money, and Silent Hill itself sure as hell doesn't deserve this treatment.

EDIT: There has been a recent update for Silent Hill Collections and now I fully recommend playing both these amazing games through multiple times! Please enjoy! I take back 90% of what I said, but I still believe Konami owes it to their customers not to release broken products at the time of release.

Extended Edit: I've changed the score at the request of someone who read this review. These games are fantastic--some of the best, the finest of survival horror. Do not miss these games. They will chill you, touch you, or at the very least, take you to another world where you will ponder the nature of your existence.
1111 comments| 120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 21, 2012
The PS3 version of this game is completely broken.

In the two hours I have played the game I have encountered these issues

* The game struggles to keep a solid framerate. It constantly chugs and freezes for several seconds in a row, I thought the game had froze several times but it was just the awful framerate. This happens on both games.

* The sound is completely broken on both games, audio is constantly out of sync and half the time the audio cues simply do not work.

*The controller often seizes up on Silent Hill 2 and stops working until I let go of the control stick and let it reset. I can not walk in a straight line for more than 10 seconds because of this.

* The Textures constantly flicker and in a few cases failed to load at all.

* Silent Hill 3 has froze on me twice during a cutscene

This is simply unacceptable because they delayed the game several times and still had the gall to release it in a completely broken state. It is obvious that Konami does not care about the fans.

I did some internet research and this seems to be happening to many other people who have this game on PS3.

UPDATE :

March 22nd, 2012.

I downloaded the update and then re-installed the game and I am still experiencing every single issue I originally encountered without the update. The update does not seem to have changed anything at all.
2020 comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 25, 2012
Let me start by saying the actual games are amazing. By this I mean the playstation 2 versions of Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3.

However, this HD collection is AWFUL!!! This game is nothing more than a big pile of problems and glitches. There are horrible frame rate issues, character slowdowns where your character starts running at half his normal speed, glitchy controls, horrible sound because the lip syncing is way off. When characters mouths stop moving you can still hear them talking. The colors are washed out in this version, and many effects that were in the originals are now missing, such as rust effects and fog.

There is literally nothing good about this collection. How Konami even allowed this horrible game to be released is beyond me because it feels like an unfinished product. Do yourself a favor and skip this game. We don't need to be supporting Konami for this horrible game.
on January 1, 2014
i got this after playing downpour. i kinda started the silent hill series backwards lol but this collection sold me! i love the story, its creepy weird and well made. although the game itself is a bit irritating because it makes you think lol and I'm not good with thinking of strategies to take down monsters or understand the kind of puzzles they have here but i made it through it. its a great game with silent hill 2+3. you just slip the disc in and BOOM choose which you wanna play. the game arrived pretty fast i think (writing this like 2yrs after my purchase lol) and in good condition. i think its a good purchase if you haven't played these games yet, plus you get 2 games so whats not to love?
on April 15, 2012
I'm a huge Silent Hill fan so it really hurts to give out one star to this long-awaited HD collection, it just makes me wonder: "What went wrong"? I already finished SH2 and I'm halfway through SH3, I'm actually trying to ignore the stuttering, sound glitches and ridiculously slow frame rate because I just love the early games of the series, but I feel like an idiot standing by this abomination when I can pop up my still working SH3 copy on my still working PS2 and blaze through the same areas where my PS3 is having such difficulties to render, why does it have to run so slow on a more powerful machine, why on Earth does it have to install 4GB's of data and what was that useless patch for? None of my other HD collections install data and they work fine, seriously Konami, you should consider bringing back Team Silent before you can even consider another franchise release, it's a punch in the nuts for all of us fans everytime you release a stinking pile of garbage like this with the Silent Hill brand on it.
on December 11, 2013
For the most part, the issues I've seen listed about this game don't exist anymore. For the most part. The fog now exists as fog instead of a wall of gray, the water in the boat scene in Silent Hill 2 now looks less like aluminum foil, the voice acting is consistently along the video, and it generally looks better.
on March 23, 2012
If you are a fan of the original games, you might buy this, and, excusing the bugs (for which there is no excuse), you might say, "ah, it's not as impressive this time around, but it's an old game..so I guess nostalgia was just affecting my recollection of it." However, it's to the point where objects and textures just abruptly 'end' in the background, making the game look more like an unfinished fan game than an actual released game. Also, if you were to take a look at the original games, or any other prior port, you'd realize that it's this particular port that's introduced all these graphical problems/missing effects.

On to the bugs. Often, they are game-breaking. My first time playing this version of silent hill 3 resulted in a black screen crash after the first area, and an audio file played that was not supposed to be played until near the END of the game. For someone who has never played before, this would spoil the entire plot for them! It also required me to hard power cycle my ps3. Essentially, it crashed my console.

The next time I played, I was able to make it to the first puzzle, in which you line up a series of books to see a scrawled number overlaid upon their spines. Well, the graphical 'layer' with the scrawled number was MISSING. Therefore, I could not solve the puzzle or proceed with my game.

As for the gameplay/performance bugs, let's see. There's an unsteady framerate, often dipping into the single digits as an enemy 'loads'. This freezes the 'noise/static' effect too, ruining the intended effect (as if the lack of fog, proper lighting, and new terrible textures didn't already do that). There's also a strange 'slo-mo' effect that I haven't seen since the NES days where you feel as if you're walking underwater. Then, there's the 'halting' controls where your character will just take a half step stop every now and then as he's running down the street. It's long enough to make you let go of the button and start again, but too short for that to help.

These ports have ruined the games. You are better off with the originals or ANY other ports. I am playing the PC ports on my television at 1080p, thus creating my own 'HD Collection' that's infinitely superior than this garbage.

Oh, I forgot to mention the bugged looping/missing music and sound effects, and new voice acting which (in the case of SH3) you HAVE to use. Oh well, I am sure the other negative reviews go into these problems more in depth.

NOTE: I'm returning my copy to Amazon as the game can be literally classified as 'defective'.
55 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2014
Prior to the second patch I would have given this mess 1 star (only because I couldn't give it zero). But with quite a few of the glitches fixed it has become playable. Although nowhere near the quality of the original (and with plenty of problems of its own) for those who have never played Silent Hill 2 or 3 it is worth a look (but only if you've exhausted all methods of getting your hands on the ps2 versions).

However, before you spend money on this game I would recommend looking up several Silent Hill HD collection reviews on youtube. Twin Perfect has a good, comprehensive look at everything that went wrong into this.

So why 3 stars? Even with all of the problems that remain, the ps3 version is now better than the 360, and much easier to obtain than the ps2 versions. This is a very conditional 3-star review.
on March 25, 2012
Game has a lot of technical issues like serious frame rate drops and stutters from time to time. They recently released a patch to fix the lip sync and frame rate, but it didn't do anything at all. Lip sync is also off in both games, so this further proves that the copies are actually defective. I got two copies from amazon,one being a replacement, and both showed the same problems. Konami's recent announcement regarding the release of the patch also seemed to be like the last announcement for the game, so no one knows if they're even going to continue patch the game.

False advertisement

Tomm Hulett has clearly stated in a Gamesradar demo video that they have not "changed" anything in the game, but they did actually cut out some elements such as the self shadow effects on the characters, a good portion of the fog, and some textures that used to appear in the original games. The characters even look more pale in comparison to the originals due to the poor lighting effect that they changed in the HD collection. They also made the game even darker and harder to see than the original, which is totally unnecessary.