5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome
Published on November 13, 2012 by Kat D

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardly Oscar worthy, but enjoyable all the same.
Published on December 11, 2012 by Ben Dunne

3.0 out of 5 stars Hardly Oscar worthy, but enjoyable all the same., December 11, 2012
This review is from: Silent Hill: Revelation (DVD)
When the original Silent Hill movie was released, I was more than a little bit skeptical. I mean, how could you possibly capture the relentlessy terrifying atmosphere of the games and transfer it successfully over to film? Fair enough, the film wasn't nearly as scary or as engrossing as the games were, but for a movie based on a videogame, it was surprisingly good, great even.
The success of the original silent hill movie made me hopeful that the sequel would be just as good, if not better than the first film. And while Silent Hill Revelation never quite scales the heights reached by the original film, it's an enjoyable tale with some very impressive and spooky moments sprinkled throughout.
First thing I have to commend are some of the casting choices. The gorgeous Adelaide Clemens is perfectly cast as Heather and I can't think of anyone more fitting to play the silent hill 3 heroine. Sean Bean was criticised in the original movie for his poor american accent. However he performs much more admirably in Revelation and his British accent is almost impossible to detect. One cast member who didn't impress me however, was Kit Harington, better known as Jon Snow in HBO's stunning drama series, Game Of Thrones. While Kit is excellent in GOT, he basically sleepwalks through this movie, with poor line delivery and some scenes where he just seems to not be putting any effort into his role. But overall, I was pleasantly surprised by the acting quality in the film.
A lot of the plot will be familiar to anyone who has played silent hill 3 but there are enough differences to keep the story interesting to even those who have completed the game multiple times. Without spoiling anything, Heather Mason and her father Harry(not their real names.) are on the run from a strange cult who want Heather to return to silent hill for unknown reasons. For the most part I enjoyed the story in Silent Hill Revelation. The pacing is a bit all over the place at times and the ending was dissapointing in my opinion, but overall the films plot had enough to keep me interested to the end. Whereas the original is often criticised for being too long, this film suffers from the exact opposite problem. At just over 90 minutes, SHR just doesn't have enough time to effectively develop it characters and story. In my opinion, another half hour of run time would have made a world of difference.
An important aspect of the games are the terrifying environments and creatures you meet while playing. SHR pretty much nails these very important points. The environments are beautiful and disgusting at the same time and the creatures are just as freaky and abnormal as you'd expect..
I've been thinking long and hard about what rating I should award this film. I was considering awarding it four stars for a time, but four stars generally signifies an excellent film which Silent Hill Revelation certainly isn't. However, I also don't think it's deserved the critical mauling it has received. I enjoyed it and I certainly wouldn't mind viewing it a second or even third time. If that doesn't deserve at least three stars, I don't know what does.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I would have expected, April 29, 2013
Story takes a complete 360 degree flip from the first movie. To put it simply who is the good guys and who are the bad guy's. If you ask me the writer was sniffing glue on this one. In the first movie the crazy cult church people were the bad guys, and this one was the little girl. The writer was just trying to drag out a second movie from what was a decent story and botched it all up. I know he was trying to answer questions from the first movie, but sometimes it's better to leave it to the imagination. This movie was boring and drug out, rent it but I wouldn't buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Took the concept and killed it, April 23, 2013
Kipchak (Amerika (ha!)) - See all my reviews
Unless you love the video game then you may be pleased it stayed somewhat true to story. But, for movie goers that just loved the first movie, you might not like this one because it's just not the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, November 13, 2012
DH & I went and seen this last night, it is way better than the first. Some people are upset that it follows the plot of the game (#3) loosely, and if you are expecting an original horror story, you'd better go elsewhere. But if you want to return to Silent Hill, and see all the horror in HD instead of PS2 graininess, this is the movie for you. The nurses and mannequins are especially well done. I was a bit disappointed that it is only 95 minutes long, they could have easily added another 30 minutes of plot from the game.

**************SPOILERS*************

Did anyone else find it weird that she was sitting on her dad's lap? Maybe it's just me, but I outgrew that when I was about 9. In the movie she is supposed to be about 16/17 I think, it really creeped me out. (in the game she is in her 20's?)

I loved how she put that bully in her place at school. lolz

They could have done away with her "defeating" Alessa at the carousel, and just had her merge back with herself. Would have made more sense that having a metaphysical showdown with herself. Especially since there is no info conveyed besides a couple of lines and facial expressions. These kinds of scenes work in books, not so much in movies.

I'm guessing from the ending there will be another Silent Hill sometime, but I don't know if they plan on using the plot from the second game (which wouldn't make any sense at all) or if they are going to write an original third film. I haven't played any of the newer Silent Hill games, so I don't know if they have anything to do with Heather or Harry.

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost OK, but a very disappointing follow up to the original, February 18, 2013
Fiontar McEoghan (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
As a stand alone film, Silent Hill: Revelation is just barely "O.K.". More a 2 /12 star film than a three star, even by horror movie standards.

The first half of the movie was somewhat promising, but IMO it completely went off the rails once the movie returned to Silent Hill. Better than a lot of the horror popping up on the various streaming services, but very clearly a "direct to video" quality of offering.

As a real fan of the original movie, however, I was completely disappointed with the film. The writer/director completely missed the mark on all the things that made the original engaging. The visuals were in the same style, but clearly not on par with the quality of effects in the first movie. The sense of tension, suspense and "creepiness" factor of the original were absent. Alessa, the "demon child" from the original is barely represented in the movie and a "key showdown" with the characters fell so completely flat that it was sadly laughable.

After watching this film, I couldn't help but be reminded of another horror film sequel, "The Ring 2". Just as with "The Ring", this film was such a vast failure as a sequel that it has virtually guaranteed that a once promising franchise will die a whimpering death.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful movie!!, August 31, 2013
The movie was awful. That is all I can say about it. The first movie was great, but this one was a cheesy and the story line sucked.

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF SH, January 28, 2015
T.Holst (Kirkland, WA) - See all my reviews
Terrible. If you are a SH fan don't even bother because you will just be shaking your head and rolling your eyes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Atrocious, January 19, 2015
As someone who loves the games (Team Silent's games at least) and found the first movie to be enjoyable enough, I still thought this movie was garbage. Silent Hill 3 is my favorite game of the series(Silent Hill 2 is admittedly the best); it was excruciating to see just how much this movie absolutely trashed Silent Hill 3's story. The movie was nonsensical, disjointed, and idiotic. The connections between the movie and game were similar names and a few remnants of a similar plot. If the director was going to make up his own plot, then he should have done that; don't try to somehow tie in the game when you're already creating your own idiotic story. Konomi hasn't been kind to the Silent Hill franchise, but this is a new low.

2.0 out of 5 stars Should not have made this film, April 6, 2013
Doesn't even come close to the first one. Not sure why they even made it. No clear vision for the film at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars A strong sequel that is just as good if not better, January 22, 2015
This review is from: Silent Hill: Revelation (DVD)
This movie is better than i thought,i expected it would not stand up to the first but it stunned me and it topped it. The film must be followed so if you want the best story watch the first part then this. The story really goes deeper into some real crazy stuff. Awesome monster gore,lots of creepy creature. More craziness and insanity. I don't want to give anything away but it is a trip. I suggest if you like the first,the film or just trippy movies this will not disappoint. Go get it

Silent Hill: Revelation
Silent Hill: Revelation by Michael J. Bassett (DVD - 2013)
$14.98 $9.96