Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on May 29, 2002
I wanted to play this game because I read how much better a submarine sim it was than SH2. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to run it under Windows XP. There has to be a way to make a boot disk that will install the necessary drivers for the CD, HD, sound card and mouse and to properly configure memory allocation. Unfortunately, unless you're a wiz at such things, I'd recommend waiting for the inevitable Silent Hunter 3.
on September 11, 2003
This game is great fun -- although I think you have to a certain type of person to enjoy it. The game is horribly addicting if you are of that type.
I noticed that some other people were having troubles getting the game to run on XP (it seems to be the only negative review). There's a great install doc for XP if you just search for "Silent Hunter Win XP DOS Game install" on Google. It'll take you through, step by step on what to do to get the game running at 100%.
on April 21, 2002
I have had this game on my hard drive for several years. This game is much better than Silent Hunter II. This game was done right and it's a lot of fun to play. Doesn't seem like developers know how to make a good submarine sim today.
Be warned, this game is old. It may not work on new computers.
on June 20, 2004
This is the best sub sim ever published. It will install and run under Windows XP. There are step by step instructions (...)
on December 18, 2002
A great game, I started playing Silent Hunter back in college,I still pull the old copy out and play every winter. Very realistic and graphics are still quite good. There are a variety of missions to play and you can download many more from Subsim.com
on July 28, 2003
Silent Hunter is one great and very enjoyable game. In this game you are a U.S. submarine trying to cause as much damage to Japaneese shipping as possible and return to your home port still in one piece. There are both merchant and Imperial ships. For [the price] you won't regret buying this; it is truely one great game.
on January 30, 2003
In my opinion, there is no other WW II submarine simulation that comes close to matching the historical accuracy of Silent Hunter. Considering that this game was released in the mid 90's, it still to this day boasts of a huge following of avid fans and active, "online" fleets play continuously. Win95/98 users just need to be sure that their system meets the minimum requirements. It can even be made to work fairly easily (with tweaking) on Windows XP . . . a procedure has been posted on the net to facilitate running Silent Hunter on WinXP a snap.
on March 15, 2010
This game played great on my old computer but I had to get a new computer Comoaq Presario PC that runs VISTA. I can not load the game on the new computer and it is disgusting, I love the game. Haven't played it in years. I guess I could buy an old used computer and it might load up. The game is just great and I wonder why the makers of this game do not make it possible to load up and play on new computers. I wish I was a computer geek and get this game to play on my new computer.
on November 8, 2012
This game is quite advanced for a DOS game. It is stable. The learning curve is no too steap. Game manual on disc. It installed through Wln Me. Ran under pure DOS.
on April 30, 2014
Fantastic !!! I was amazed to find a new copy of this old game which I love. It works great and I thank them for making it available !!

See 1 answered question