5.0 out of 5 stars One Of Her Best

2.0 out of 5 stars A sappy, predictable, story using christmas as a backdrop
Published on November 19, 1996

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of Her Best, January 7, 2000
This review is from: Silent Night (Mass Market Paperback)
This is one of Mary Higgins Clark's best books. Although short, it packs action and suspense onto each and every page. The child-hero was terrific--a real boy any of us could identify with. I really cared and I thank the author for that. I just wish Ms. Clark would stop making her female heroines (i.e., the child's mother) so physically gorgeous! Can't we have someone ordinary for a change?

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD HOLIDAY READ!, January 2, 2004
This review is from: Silent Night (Mass Market Paperback)
Catherine Dornan appears to have it all--a comfortable lifestyle, a loving husband and two wonderful little boys. Then her physician husband falls ill with a life-threatening illness. The boys' grandmother gives them a St. Christopher medal--that saved her husband's life in World War II--and instructs them to give it to their father, and it will make him well. Although skeptical, Catherine Dornan does as her mother instructs and places the St. Christopher medal in her wallet for safekeeping. Little Brian Dornan however, the youngest of the two boys, is relying on that medal to make his father well again. So when he spots a woman pick up his mother's wallet from off of the ground while at Rockefeller center listening to Christmas carols, he takes off in hot pursuit. Brian has no idea what is waiting for him when he finally catches up with the young woman; and it soon becomes clear to Brian that St. Christopher may save not only his father's life--but perhaps his own.
DYB

2.0 out of 5 stars A sappy, predictable, story using christmas as a backdrop, November 19, 1996
This review is from: Silent Night (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first Mary Higgins Clark book that I have read and it will probably be the last. It is a predictable story that reads much like a "made for T.V. movie". It is a quick read that requires a minimal amount of thinking. The characters are not developed, the plot is boring, and I disliked the use of a christmas theme to give the plot an overly emotional tone. Not a book I would reccommend unless the reader enjoys mindless novels

5.0 out of 5 stars Silent Night, April 14, 2000
Cindy (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Night (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved the novel. It was absolutely prefect. When I read the novel, I couldn't put it down! It keeps you on the edge of your seat through the whole book. Mary Higgins Clark just has a way of keeping you into the novel until you finish one her suspense-filled books. In the novel Silent Night, a lady named Catherine Dornan lost her wallet and her son. Her wallet fall out of her handbag, and her son ran after it. A lady named Cally Hunter stole her wallet and ran with it. However, when Cally got home her bother who is an escape killer, was there waiting for her. Brian, Catherine's son followed Cally home and consequently, Jimmy; Cally's bother, kidnapped him. The only thing Brian Dornan was worried about was getting back to his mother before Christmas and for him to get back the St. Christopher medal to his father, so he can get well. Risking his own life and safety...what a kid! You'll have to read the book to find out how the story ends. In my opinion, all of the characters in the novel are plausible because their actions and reactions are very believable, by how Mary Higgins Clark wrote it. I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was extraordinary; it kept me coming back for more!, November 16, 1999
This review is from: Silent Night (Mass Market Paperback)
I like this very much. It was very exciting and thrilling. I read it in two days. It may be a fairly short book, but it has very good content. It has tons of suspense and keeps you wanting more. It's the type of book I like cause I did not ever want to put it down. Mary Higgins Clark books are the only books I read. They keep me enticed and into the book. Some of her books involve love stories, also. I love to read about love stories, but I also want something that will keep me reading. I don't like the mushy stuff all the time, but I do love a good ending. I like to read about murders and mysteries, all of which Mary Higgins Clark covers. The covering on the book is very interesting and makes you wonder what it is going to be about. It makes you want to pick it up and read it, right from the start. I am reading another book by this author called "All Around the Town". I highly suggest anyone who loves suspenseful books to read this. You'll never be able to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great page turner for reluctant readers!, January 14, 2005
Emerson Randolph (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Night (Mass Market Paperback)
My high school English class had a class set of these books and it was assigned reading for the holiday season. The assignment was met with the usual groans, but the students dove in. Soon I was hearing remarks like, "Hey, I read the whole book in two days!" and "This is the first assignment that I have liked!" and "Guess what? I really read this book!" Most students actually finished reading the book in much less than the assigned time. A couple of them admitted that this was the first book they had actually read all the way through. The story takes place on Christmas Eve and involves a lost boy. It involves some tense situations and presents a number of good role models for children. After our class had completed the reading, each student who felt so moved wrote a note to Mary Higgins Clark. We were delighted a few weeks later when we received a letter from her expressing sincere appreciation for the many laudatory comments from the young readers. I recommend this book to youngsters from 9 to 99 who wish to have a "good read" for the Christmas season.

4.0 out of 5 stars The powers of love, faith, and courage., April 2, 2002
Laura (Van Nuys, California USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Night (Mass Market Paperback)
The powers of love, faith, and courage have rarely been tied together in an exciting suspense story. But in the novel "Silent Night" by Mary Higgins Clark, she managed to do just that.
The setting in Christmas Eve in New York City. After Tom Dornan arrives there to recieve a life-saving operation for his leukemia, his wife Catherine and two sons come to visit from Omaha. While Catherine and her two boys watch a musician on the street, Catherine's youngest son, Brian, witnesses someone taking her wallet without her realizing it. The wallet had a St. Christopher medal in it that saved his grandfather's life in World War Two. Brian hopes that giving it to his dad will save his life as well.
Brian follows the woman to her apartment and gets caught up in something far bigger than he expected. When kidnapped by escaped murderer Jimmy Siddons, Brian find's his courage and faith tested in this heartwarming novel that is great for all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Holiday Read, January 18, 2004
This review is from: Silent Night (Mass Market Paperback)
Although not a traditional fan of Mary Higgins Clark, I read the book over the holidays and found myself glued to the pages. The characters are so real, and the suspense is spellbinding. You care so much about the characters that you can't put the book down.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Night that is Anything but Silent!, January 16, 2003
This review is from: Silent Night (Hardcover)
Author Mary Higgins Clark writes an effective but predictable, formula novel in twenty-five clever little chapters. The plot is about a little boy(Brian) who is kidnapped after he runs after a women who steals his mother's wallet. Included in it is a precious St. Christopher medal; a family heirloom, which is to be given to his sick father to make him better. This is the third Mary Higgins Clark novel I have read; I find it odd that all the ones I have read are all are about kidnappings. ("A Stranger Is Watching," "Deck the Halls") Surely, the Queen of Suspense can find more effective material to write about. Still "Silent Night" would make a decent television movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleep In Heavenly Peace, January 12, 2002
Chad Spivak (North Miami Beach, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Night (Mass Market Paperback)
Mary Higgins Clark has a countless number of excellently written books, and this one is just another addition to her wonderful collection. In SILENT NIGHT, Clark writes another super Christmas time thriller.
With her husband stricken with Leukemia, Catherine Dornan is about to take her two boys, Michael and Brian, to the hospital to present him with a very special gift. While out on the streets, Catherine accidentally drops her wallet with this special gift, a St. Christopher medal, and Brian chases after the woman, Cally, who picks it up. From there, the novel really takes off as Brian is eventually kidnapped and held captive by an escaped prisoner on a race to the Canadian border in the midst of a heavy snowstorm.
In this ferociously fast-paced story, Clark manages to mesh together an outstanding cast of diverse characters, all of whom tie in to the search for Brian. The well-developed plot is constantly changing, leaving the reader in a pleasant, rapid page-turning frenzy.
Overall, this is a very well-written book that is hard to put down. Clark is an amazing storyteller, and her imagery and detailed writing make for an enjoyable read. The suspense will have you on the edge of your seat, as this is not a calm and silent night.

Silent Night
Silent Night by Mary Higgins Clark (Mass Market Paperback - November 1, 1996)
$6.99 $6.29