5.0 out of 5 stars A sweet child's book with a deeper meaning, September 22, 1999
This review is from: A Silent Night for Peef (Hardcover)
I'll be honest--I buy books for my child that I like--and I REALLY like this book. Santa visits Peef, a toy he handmade the previous year, only to find Peef dirty and faded. Santa wants to "fix" Peef, but it turns out that Peef is quite happy the way that he is--worn by love and full of memories. Even if your family does not believe in Santa Claus, this sweet book will appeal to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peef Is Tops With Little Kids, February 16, 2000
Suzanne M. Ginger (Farmington, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Silent Night for Peef (Hardcover)
My boys (4 and 6) received Peef bears and the original Peef Christmas book last year. Since then, Peef has attended everything from a Fourth of July party to Thanksgiving dinner. Both bears are a little worn with love now. So the boys loved hearing more about Peefs just like theirs -- just a little worn and a lot loved. The outdoor/real life picture were more to their liking, because their Peefs had been outside and been played with like the Peef in Silent Night. They were glad to know that Santa may come to see their Peefs again, too. If you're looking for something that's bound to tickle any little one's fancy at any time of the year -- get them a Peef bear and this book!

4.0 out of 5 stars My storytime group loved this book!, December 7, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: A Silent Night for Peef (Hardcover)
If you've been wondering what happened to Peef since Santa found a home for him, this book will bring you up to date. He has had some big adventures and is a little worse for the wear but he is very happy with his life. This teaches a good lesson for children: You are okay just the way you are; you don't need to look like what others may consider ideal. The lesson here for parents is that you need to let go and let kids be themselves. This second Peef book is shorter than the first one and my preschoolers love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book of love and filled with wisdom!, October 9, 2005
This review is from: A Silent Night for Peef (Hardcover)
It's been a year since PEEF left Santa Claus and became the beloved companion to a little boy. It's time for Santa Claus to make his rounds visiting all the children on Christmas Eve. He misses the little bear he made with his own hands from the fabric given to him by the elves. Santa Claus misses him so much that he saves PEEF's house for the last visit on Christmas Eve.

There, under the covers, snuggled up next to the little boy is PEEF. Santa Claus is so happy. But what has happened? Something is different. PEEF has changed! He's become faded, has some rips and tears and can no longer say his name.

Santa wants to help PEEF become like new again. But PEEF explains that he is the way he is because he is loved. PEEF shares all of his adventures with Santa who then understands. PEEF is who he is and is where he should be and that is what is important.

A Silent Night for PEEF is a touching story filled with love and wisdom. The illustrations are colorful, bold and beautiful. They will captivate children and adults alike.

Armchair Interviews says: A Silent Night for PEEF is a wonderful gift for that special child in your life. It is a book that children will keep and read again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A story with a message for adults too., May 20, 2013
This review is from: A Silent Night for Peef (Hardcover)
I bought this book when my grandchildren were still small and thought it was a really sweet story at the time. I felt that it made them feel good about their favorite toys that had grown worn and tattered with use. My grandchildren are almost teenagers now, so I've been sorting through a few of their "kid" toys and books to get rid of. I picked up this book and decided to read it again, and this time I read in it a message that I hadn't seen before.

Santa is making his usual rounds on Christmas Eve, distributing all the toys to boys and girls around the world. He makes one last stop to the house of a little boy to whom he had given a colorful teddy bear named Peef, one he had personally hand made and especially loved. He was eager to see the bear again and hear the familiar sound of "Peef." But when he picked up the bear from the sleeping child, he saw that it was dirty and torn and no longer made a sound. He contemplated sewing and repairing the bear, but the little bear spoke up and explained to Santa all of the wonderful experiences he had had...all of the fun and exciting days he had with the boy. The "seasons" had been rough on his now ragged and faded body, but the "greatest and most wonderful thing is....knowing who you are, and being where you ought to be, and doing what you ought to do..." He tells Santa that he does not need repaired, he is "the bear I should be."

Wow! Reading this again 10 years later...and 10 years old...I take from this a wonderful lesson. It's only through a lifetime of experiences that we earn the wear and tear we end up with...the wrinkles, the achy joints, the gray hairs. Would we have traded that away for anything less? We are just where we should be.

And so Santa leaves that night, feeling happy for the joy and love that he has made possible for the little boy and Peef.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandkids loved this book, January 1, 2011
This review is from: A Silent Night for Peef (Hardcover)
Whenever my grandchildren sleep over they choose books I have for me to read them. This year they chose A Silent Night for Peef and loved it. So did I. As my granddaughter hugged her slightly worn bear, she smiled to learn it was okay to love her bear and take it on adventures. I will defintely be buying all of the Peef books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great kids book, January 8, 2009
This review is from: A Silent Night for Peef (Hardcover)
Nice book to follow the original Peef. I honestly liked the first one better, but my daughters both enjoy reading this book over and over during the holidays.

5.0 out of 5 stars I dare you..., June 15, 2014
This review is from: A Silent Night for Peef (Hardcover)
To read this book and not feel the impact of years past. It explores the bonds created by giving as well as the joy all embraced in change and growth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Peef story. Collect them all!, March 7, 2013
This review is from: A Silent Night for Peef (Hardcover)
The perfect addition to your Peef collection. My kids still love these books and they sleep with their Peef bears every night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, June 18, 2013
This review is from: A Silent Night for Peef (Hardcover)
The kids got one of the bears as a gift and love the books that go with it.
Are happy when PEEF is said in the book.

A Silent Night for Peef
A Silent Night for Peef by Warren Hanson (Hardcover - September 1, 1998)
$16.95 $14.87