5.0 out of 5 stars Important book
Published 20 months ago by nysq1

3.0 out of 5 stars A story about a true hero. He saved others from unspeakable abuse.
To be afraid and continue on the right direction in spite of fear, amazing hero of our time. I wish there had been more examples of raw abuse and the detailed cover up by the Sandusky machine, more legal facts and how the applied to this case would have held my attention more.
Published 18 months ago by robert deloach

5.0 out of 5 stars Important book, October 23, 2012
Just wanted to recommend this book. I have been following this case all the way from Copenhagen, Denmark and I swallowed the book in 4 hours of intense reading. It had me angry all over again, but also proud of a few heroes. It's a book about how the justice system cowers when perpetrators have power, it's about courage and cowardice. It's clear to me that Governor Corbett is corrupt and that Aaron Fisher and Mike Gillum should feel proud of themselves. So many new questions raised and I hope they will be answered by relieving the guilty of their power.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, October 23, 2012
This review is from: Silent No More: Victim 1's Fight for Justice Against Jerry Sandusky (Kindle Edition)
I am from that area and anyone that lives there or has a child that attends KCSD MUST read this book. This book does not go into gross detail about the actual abuse. This is a story of his fight. Alot of people will shy away becuase they don't want to "know" what happened to him. That isn't the purpose of this book. This story needed to be shared and will open many eyes to the justice system in PA and will also help "victims" in the same circumstance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aaron, you are a HERO!, October 25, 2012
A. George (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
I read this complete book in one setting, had to stay up until 3 am to do so! As the mother of a boy who was sexually abused at the exact same age as Aaron was, so much of the story was familiar to me. My son's abuser was also a high profile individual and the media attention was immense. However, my son's abuser was brought to justice and sent to prison within 10 months of the disclosure. I can't imagine having to endure this additional abuse for 3 1/2 years! I related to Aaron and Dawn and the therapist, so much was like deja'vu! Aaron, you are a HERO and so is my son. The book was well written and heartfelt. We need, as a society, to not focus so much on "stranger danger" and more on the much more likely molesters of our children. They ARE the Sanduskys of the world, the ones who know our kids and ingrain themselves in our kids lives. Good for you Aaron.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silent No More, October 24, 2012
A must-read if you have been following the Sandusky case at all. Aaron Fisher, the primary author, was not Sandusky's first victim, but he was the one who set the case in motion by coming forward and accusing Sandusky of the crime. Because Sandusky was such a popular figure in the community, Aaron and his family (and his psychologist) fought for years to get the authorities to actually do something about the accusations. The book details all that went on behind the scenes during those years, showing just how many people supported Sandusky despite Aaron's testimony, including his teachers and officials all the way up to Governor Tom Corbett. The official deception and failure to act will make you angry, but the story is ultimately a triumphant one. It's definitely worth a read just for all the details behind the case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silent no more, October 26, 2012
Im from Penn State and followed the football team,so I had to read this book. I couldn't put it down. I started it and didn't stop till it was done. I feel this book is an important work for every parent with kids to read. Aaron is out to tell his story as a warning to all parents what to watch for no matter how important a person is.

I recommend this book

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and educational...I recommend it!, October 29, 2012
Silent No More is written by Aaron, of course, his psychologist, Mike Gillum, and his mother, Dawn Daniels. The story does not give *too much information* about the actual abuse. It was handled very appropriately. The story is really about the time period from when Aaron disclosed what had happened to him for the first time, up until Sandusky was convicted.

I really enjoyed reading the story from the different view points involved.

Dawn - Apparently Dawn has taken quite a bit of criticism. People have had a lot of questions about why she didn't "see" something, why she trusted Sandusky etc. I am embarrassed to admit that I had wondered some of the same things. However, hearing Dawn's point of view, I now understand. Gavin De Becker in his book, Protecting the Gift talks about how our intutition warns us about things and unfortunately we (all of us) are prone to ignore it through denial, minimalization and refusal. Dawn did these things - as almost all of us would. Hopefully reading this book we can learn from her experience. But Dawn deserves more credit for the things she did right. When Aaron told her, she believed him, she supported him, and stood behind him. For that, I consider her a hero. Any mom, who is a mother bear for her child is a good mom.

Aaron - I am also a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, so I was horrified when I realized how many times he was expected to repeat his story...in detail...I'm 46 and my abuse was a long time ago, and I don't think I could do that. I have talked to my therapist, but I don't discuss the details with anyone else. I can't imagine how Aaron found the courage, at such a young age, to share his story again and again to different state troopers, and then to two grand juries. Aaron, is a hero to me. Because he was so brave, many boys lives will be spared. I am so sorry for his pain, I understand it as one who shares it. . .

Mike - I wish that every child that came forward about abuse could have the support and kindness that he showed not only to Aaron, but to Dawn as well. Mike's perspective was a wonderful addition to the book.

There is so much that can be gleaned from this book about how to prevent abuse (warning signs to be aware of) and what to do when a child comes forward (shown by Dawn and Mike), and unfortunately a lot of what not to do. It should not have taken three years to arrest that monster! As a fellow survivor that infuriates me.

A great book, well worth the read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Two notes on the book rather than the story., October 26, 2012
I agree with the previous reviewers about this book (which I read on Kindle): the suffering this teenager had to go through is horrible. I am amazed that he came forward and agreed to do this book. However, I would just like to add two technical notes about this book.

First, before saying as reviewers that all the authorities, especially the AG running for Governor, were corrupt or hopeless bureaucrats, you need to remember that this book is telling the story solely from the point of view of Aaron, his mother and his psychologist and is based on their knowledge. They did not have access to information about the other investigations going on that (perhaps) delayed visible legal action.

Second, there is a fourth author, a professional writer whose name appears on the title page, Stephanie Gertler. She took the stories told by Aaron, Dawn and Mike and put them into a standardized literary language. I even noticed a "whom", correctly used, tossed in. The result is that all three sound the same. This does not detract from the emotional impact of the book for me, but it is not actually in the three narrators' actual voices.

I highly recommend this book which packs a strong emotional wallop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing book, November 17, 2012
P. Ward (Santa Fe, NM) - See all my reviews
Aaron, you are a brave young man. So glad you wrote a book to share in the events of your horrific experience. The Attorney General's office should be ashamed in their staggering slowness to process this case, as also the governor of the state of Pennslyvania. Shame on all of you. Aaron, you made it possible for the others to come forward and submit to grueling questions, and finally slam Jerry Sandusky into prison, where he will die. Thank you Aaron and I hope your life is on the road to recovery and finding true happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars a story of courage, endurance, and so much more, November 13, 2012
Carol S. (Downingtown, PA) - See all my reviews
I too read this in one afternoon/evening as I could not put it down. The book is well written and, thanks in part to a professional writer the authors used (Stephanie Gertler)it flows easily as three people (Aaron, his Mom Dawn, and his therapist Mike Gillum) tell the story in chronological order. This is not about what we all saw on the news. It is about Aaron's expereince.

I think the most compelling aspect of the book is how the authors let the reader walk the path with them, as they (and you) grow in disbelief and outrage at the three year process this emotionally damaged adolecsent had to endure, with dozens of delays and broken promises along the twisted path to an arrest and "justice." No one should have to endure such a process no matter how powerful the adversary.

I do think Aaron deserves hero status. What if he and his outspoken Mom had not come forward, fallen into the right hands with Mike G., and all fought a long, hard and frightening battle to bring the truth forward? If I could talk to Aaron I would say that the only shame to be carried here is on the backs of the PSU, goverment and other leaders who in 1998, 2001 and other times did nothing to intervene, engaged in denial and cover-up, and then let this thing drag on for so long. Its unconscionable and a lesson for us all about the sometimes vile power of status, money and politics.

The opening of the book quotes Albert Einstein, who said that "The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." This lesson is for all of us.

ITO the various comments on the book and Mike G. I feel the book contains some additional stunning facts and opinions that I think are important to the story, especially about the "politics and powers" involved. While Mike Gillum may be criticized for talking about himself a tad too much he too deserves a great deal of respect and recognition for his handling of this case from the first moment he met Aaron (as explained by Aaron.) Mike devoted and continues to devote years of his life to this child and to making sure he found justice. I can sadly say from both professional and personal expereince with CYS that such compassion, unrelenting advocacy and professional expertise is not always or even often found. So, thank you Michael Gillum for NOT being another person who told Aaron.."well sorry, you have to understand that...; we need proof; we need a witness."

POINT OF CLARIFICATION: Michael Gillum, M.A. is referred to as a "psychologist," (a profession with a basic requirement for a doctoral degree in the field.) This may confuse many readers. Not explained in the book is the fact that PA allowed Master's prepared professionals to take the psychologist licensing exam and obtain the designation "psychologist." While this is no longer allowed by the profession there are a sizeable number of Master's Level therapists grandfathered in as "psychologists" under this provision. That being said, a doctoral degree is not always the best indicator of abilities, as we see in this case with Mike Gillum's skills, warmth, and passion. No, never met him, but hope to one day.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Not A Victim, Not Anymore", November 13, 2012
Aaron Fisher, known as Victim #1, has written a masterful and emotional book about his years of abuse at the hands of serial pedophile Jerry Sandusky. In this poignant book, Fisher tells how Sandusky groomed him with gifts and outings. These gifts quickly manifested into something evil.

For three years, beginning at age 11 and continuing until age 15, Aaron was sexually abused by Sandusky. Abuse would commonly take place in the Sandusky basement, while Sandusky's wife sat upstairs and did nothing. Finally, Aaron found the strength and courage to speak up and tell what was happening to him. But, instead of finding salvation, Aaron was harassed and ostracized. Even the principal of his school didn't believe him. The only people who believed him was his mother, Dawn Daniels and psychologist Michael Gillum.

From Aaron's original coming forward to Sandusky's conviction, Aaron faced 3 years of delays, repeated grand jury testimony, and failed promises. During this time, Aaron developed many physical and emotional problems, including recurring nightmares, panic attacks, and shattered personal relationships. It is a miracle that Aaron made it through.

But make it through he did. Thanks to Aaron's courage, nine other young men came forward with stories of abuse at the hands of Sandusky. In June, 2012, Sandusky was convicted of 45 counts of sexual abuse and sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison; in effect, a life sentence.

This is a remarkable book. I can only admire Aaron for his strength and courage in the face of almost impossible odds. Aaron, along with his mother and psychologist, have done a fine job in describing the events in Aaron's life that led to Sandusky's downfall. They describe the initial abuse and continue through Sandusky's arrest and ultimate conviction. Thank you, Aaron, for your courage. Because of you and the other young men, Sandusky was finally put where he belongs: behind bars. Highly recommended.

Rate and Discover Movies