5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner for Karen Rose
This book started off just a smidge slow for me. You're bouncing around between a lot of characters with a lot going on. It kept me from digging into the story right away. But it wasn't a big thing and pretty quickly I was hooked into the story and just wanted to keep reading.

Published on May 27, 2010 by JJN-1313

STORY BRIEF:
Published on March 31, 2011 by Jane

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner for Karen Rose, May 27, 2010
This review is from: Silent Scream (Mass Market Paperback)

"Silent Scream" is nowhere near as creepy as some of Rose's other books (like the Vartanian sub-trilogy). It's not a particularly dark tale like those, but there's still a pretty decent body count! This story is more a complicated web of deception, revenge, greed and probably some good old-fashioned psychotic tendencies. There are a lot of plot threads, a lot of characters. So it's not a book you want to read casually. You gotta be paying attention.

I loved the way Rose had it all work out though. She weaved all the story threads together seamlessly. When you get to the end and everything has been revealed, it all fits together perfectly and logically. I love that. Such a complicated story, a story that would be easy for the author to get a little lost in and a reader to finish and be confused, but it's all tied up nicely. I finished and was just like, damn, how does she do this? (write such amazing suspense plots).

I admit that I like her psycho serial killer stories a little better, but you can't have a Simon Vartanian in every book. That would get old. Still, this one has a great plot. Once I got hooked into the story, I just wanted to keep reading because I really wanted to know how it all tied together. You know the whos for most of the book, but the whys take to the end to be completely revealed. And I was surprised on a few things. I also loved some of the subtle tie-ins to the previous book "I Can See You."

The book has its sad moments, too. I cried a little over the death of a character. It was so damn sad! I kind of expected the death...characters tend to die in the situation that one was in. But it still had me all teary eyed.

Now, as for the romance...I know a few KR fans who wish she'd up the romance element a bit (like in her first bunch of books). Will this book satisfy you? Maybe yes, maybe no. The suspense plot is still the most dominate aspect of the story. That's the main focus. But I do think the romance was stronger than in some other books. Olivia and David get to spend some significant time together. It takes a while to get to that point, but once they connect, you get some sweet scenes between them. I enjoyed the way Rose wrote their relationship. It fit (and the FREE epilogue available gives readers a nice fluffy bunny HEA extra). It also helps that both characters are very likable. David is a sweetheart and Olivia's a nice, strong woman.

The book also lets you visit with some other series characters: Noah Webster (I Can See You), his troubled former cop partner Jack has a small appearance, and there are mentions/small appearances for Eve, Mia, Ethan, Caroline, Max, Dana...maybe some others. Great to catch up with all those guys!

Just a very satisfying book to read. The plot was excellent, the romance good, the characters great. I honestly had no complaints at all...no loose ends, no mistakes, no unlikable characters, nothing. I was a happy camper when I finished. I will be anxiously awaiting Rose's next book. My guess is that it will be about Brie, Olivia's friend

5.0 out of 5 stars Karen Rose, Master of Romantic Suspense, May 27, 2010
This review is from: Silent Scream (Mass Market Paperback)
Karen rose, the Master of Romantic Suspense, has done it again. In her latest (11th) novel, SILENT SCREAM, Rose delivers heart-pounding suspense and fiery romance as only a pro can.

Although this is a stand-alone novel and easy to love for new Rose fans, long-time fans of Rose will be thrilled to read about David and Olivia, and get some updates from other fantastic characters from earlier novels such as Phoebe Hunter and Noah Webster.

Set in Minneapolis, SILENT SCREAM has arson, murder, blackmailing, mystery, romance and a villain whose diabolical strategy for getting others to do his bidding has Olivia and David racing to stop him before he adds to his victims.

It is no exaggeration that Rose gets better with every new book, even though she has consistently given her fans fabulous characters, exciting mysteries and read with all the lights on suspense.

This is truly one for the keeper shelf, and a great gift for the suspense and romance readers on my gift-giving list this summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Karen Rose delivers an exceptional story, June 15, 2010
Judy "book reader" (Cincinnati, ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silent Scream (Mass Market Paperback)
Karen Rose writes another spine chilling tale in Silent Scream.

Detective Olivia Sutherland is assigned to investigate a suspicious fire where a teenage girl has died. Its still to close to her last case that still plaques her nightmares. Olivia vows to do justice for this young victim. Adding another stresser to her life is the return of sexy firefighter David Hunter. Their one night of passion has haunted her for the few years. But Olivia is a pro and figures she can handle David.

David Hunter recently moved to Minneapolis, Minn. to reconnect with friends he has living there. Also he wanted to work his way back into Olivia's world, that is if she lets him. He wasn't expecting a serial arsonist and murder to be the catalyst to getting Olivia to open up to him.

Working closely with David on this case has them both opening up their hearts and working through their pains. Just as their connection starts to grow, the danger to their loved ones increases.

Silent Scream is a riveting tale of romantic suspense. Karen Rose pulls you into the killers evil mind and makes you wonder what will happen next. Just when you think things are calming down, the tension goes up a couple of levels. David and Olivia both have been hurt by love before. It makes their journey to find each other a tough challenge but one worth taken. Their interactions on and off the job are compelling. You find yourself hoping these two will find a way to make it all work. I have been waiting for David's story for a long time, and I can tell you its well worth it. Kudos Karen Rose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Karen Rose continues to prove why she's one of my favorite authors., June 1, 2010
This review is from: Silent Scream (Mass Market Paperback)
She has delivered another heartwarming yet gut wrenching suspenseful novel. This one features David Hunter and Olivia Sutherland. We first met David in KR's book Don't Tell and we first met Olivia in Count to Ten. Both of them have appeared in a couple other of KR's books as well. David has had an unrequited love for Dana Dupinsky (heroine in Nothing To Fear) for years. He and Olivia meet up at Mia's wedding two and a half years ago and shared an unforgettable night (unforgettable for many reasons). When mutual friend Eve Wilson (heroine in I Can See You and a supporting character in many other books) asks David to help her with her roof in the previous book, he decides to make a permanent move to Minneapolis (where Olivia lives and works).

Silent Scream takes place approximately 7 months after I Can See You leaves off. David and Olivia are thrown together in an arson investigation after someone burns down a condo complex and an innocent girl gets stuck inside (David was called to the scene as a firefighter and Olivia as homicide once the girl's body was found). More buildings continue to burn (with bodies inside)and the pursuit begins looking for the arsonists/murderers.

Typical Karen Rose, there are lots of twists and turns in the suspense part of the book. Just when you think you figured everything out, she pulls another trick out of her hat. Definitely kept me guessing to the end. Also there is a part in the book where you will feel like you were punched in the stomach, at least I did. I had tears in my eyes over something that happens and it effects a very personal & professional part of Olivia's life.

Of course there is also a nice romance that develops between David & Olivia. They both have had feelings for one another since that "unforgettable night" of Mia's wedding; but both were scared to share their feelings due to things that happened in their respective pasts.

The book could be read as a stand alone, but I highly recommend reading from the first book (Don't Tell). Not only to get a solid perspective on all of the related characters, but also just to enjoy a fantastic read. Karen Rose is just that good!

Karen Rose writes at the end of the book that a free epilogue for David & Olivia will be available on her website. The extra epilogue makes the book even better. Loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, July 7, 2010
This review is from: Silent Scream (Mass Market Paperback)
SILENT SCREAM lives up to Karen Rose's reputation as the queen of romantic suspense. She deftly weaves the suspense with the romance, keeping the pacing consistent throughout the book. We immediately fall in love with the hero, firefighter David Hunter, who is tortured by something he believes was his fault from his past. As a result, he's devoted his life to helping everyone, from runaways to battered women, to people who need a place to live. He puts other peoples' needs ahead of his own so much so that he's blocked all relationships. Enter homicide detective, Olivia Sutherland, who has issues of her own, as well as a past with David, and the two collide in a wonderful way. If you ever wondered what it would be like to be a homicide detective, living with the grief day in and day out, SILENT SCREAM, will show you the triumphs and disappointments. Rose's deft handling of the deaf community should be commended. Beware, once you pick up the book, you won't be able to put it down. A true masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Karen Rose Delivers the Goods in Silent Scream, July 24, 2010
This review is from: Silent Scream (Mass Market Paperback)
Ever since I read my 1st Karen Rose book You Can't Hide in 2006 I was hooked on Rose's suspenseful storylines, romantic relationships about people I actually cared reading about and amazing storytelling. She quickly became one of my favourite auto-buy authors and I did something I have never before done...I immediately went to Amazon and purchased her entire backlist. She is one of the few authors whose books I will shell out the big bucks for and purchase in hardcover because I can't wait for the paperback. Rose delivers once again and does not disappoint with her latest release (in paperback..YEAH!).

Firefighter David Hunter and Homicide Detective Olivia Sutherland have both made appearances in Rose's previous books (David - Don't Tell and Olivia - Count to Ten), and can I just say how excited I was to discover that David was finally getting his own story (thanks Ms. Rose for that twitter confirmation). I can honestly say you don't have to read the previous books to get full value from Silent Scream, but all of Rose's books rock - so you really should read every one!

A suspiciously set fire and the death of a young deaf girl trapped inside a burned out condo under construction bring David and Olivia face to face once again since their unforgettable night two years ago where they may or may not have hooked up at a wedding. One of them can't really remember what happened and it's one of the reasons that these two have been tip-toeing around one another for the past seven months, since David packed up his bags and moved to Minneapolis where Olivia works.

David and Olivia have a few misunderstanding (ohhh the words you yell out in the heat of passion can do ALOT of damage even if you don't remember doing it) to work through and are initially cool and civil towards one another, but you can just sense the powder keg of awareness and sexual chemistry simmering just below the surface. In past Rose books, the suspense and sometimes grisly nature of her storytelling has been in the forefront while the romance takes a back seat, but in Silent Scream, Rose definitely ratcheted up the romance quotient for David and Olivia...and I liked it!

David Hunter may well be Mr. Perfect. I'm pretty sure I developed a severe crush on the hunky firefighter while reading Silent Scream. He's thoughtful and caring, can cook, risks his life to help people and seriously I just wanted him to rub my neck and stroke my hair. I melted a little inside everytime he did that to Olivia...you lucky, lucky girl!

Arson, murder, mayhem and a master puppeteer, blackmailing villain who pulls all the strings to get others to do his bidding have David and Olivia working overtime and racing to discover his identity before the body count can climb any higher.

I love a great romantic suspense novel and Rose out does herself with Silent Scream. The storytelling is superb. Everything follows in a logical, satisfying order towards a climatic end. I love it when I don't question the villain's motives or am shaking my head at some action carried out by the H/H. The story made sense and was all tied up with a nice big bow. There was one point when I actually gasped out loud and cursed Ms. Rose...WTF??? at the fate she delivered to one of the main supporting characters. I guess if you can illicit such reactions from your readers, then you know you've told an amazing story.

Silent Scream delivers 570 pages of pure reading enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to the series, June 16, 2010
This review is from: Silent Scream (Mass Market Paperback)
Like most of her books it is long, but that allows for a lot of development. But it also works for me because if a book is too short sometimes I feel cheated or just sad because I want it to keep going.
This book comes after I Can See Her and is David Hunter's story. We have met him in some of the other stories but have not learned much about him. In this one all is revealed. (yay!) Great storyline. Suspenseful, and kept you moving. There were no downtimes where you felt the story was dragging or extra scenes that you kind of skim over.
The storyline is kind of intricate you have one main bad guy and then you have a group of mini bad guys who get in over their heads because of the main bad guy. David is a firefighter and gets called out to a fire and while there discovers a body in the building so homicides gets sent in. Enter Olivia, homicide detective and one-night stand that David had two years ago but has not forgotten. Olivia has been avoiding him since he moved there because of her embarrassment. And because she is the one who left and his memories of that night are spotty, David is keeping tabs on her but not talking to her either. Now they have to talk because there is a dead 16 year old.
I loved this book, it is a great addition to the series. If you like romantic suspense this is a great read for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Police procedural solving a serial killer/blackmailer/arsonist mystery. Ok story, but I'd prefer smarter cops., March 31, 2011
Jane (Chicago, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
STORY BRIEF:
Olivia is a police homicide detective in Minneapolis. 2 ½ years ago she met David while visisting Chicago. While they spent the night together he said another woman's name during sex. Olivia was hurt and snuck away without leaving a note. David felt rejected and neither of them contacted the other for 2 ½ years. Since then David moved to Minneapolis where he works as a fire fighter. Four teenagers set a building on fire as a protest about saving the wetlands. Another girl had been hiding in the building and was unable to get out. She died in the fire. A serial killer was aware of the teenagers' plan, and he videotaped them setting the fire. He plans to blackmail them. During the book, we see the killer blackmailing and killing various people.

REVIEWER'S OPINION:
It's a long book. My reaction was one long police procedural with a few sex scenes thrown in. There is a lot of tedious conversation. It's mostly police discussion about evidence and what to do next. I wasn't excited about things or drawn to the characters. I was kind of frustrated. Most of my feelings were about this really creepy powerful evil guy with everyone around him being a helpless victim/pawn in his master game. My suggestion would be for the good guys to do something smart to catch the bad guy. But the hero and heroine were helpless victims as well. The main event which allows them to catch the bad guy is someone being in the wrong place at the wrong time and accidentally seeing something. So now the good guys give chase and finally win through luck - not brains or skill.

Another related item is that the police don't slowly uncover details of what and why. Instead there is one conversation between the bad guy and someone at the end of the book which explains everything. That is ok I guess, but it wasn't as fun as seeing smart cops learn this through their own efforts. It's sort of a telling all at the end.

As a romance story, it was lacking. I don't like using vague communication as the reason a couple is separated, which is what the author did here. Part of the vague communication was David making the major decision to move to be near Olivia but never contacting her. That was illogical. Also, the relationship development could have been better. However, the romance was a secondary story. Mystery lovers will probably be fine with the book.

DATA:
Story length: 570 pages. Swearing language: strong. Sexual language: mild. Number of sex scenes: 4. Estimated number of sex scene pages: 6. Setting: current day Minnesota. Copyright: 2010. Genre: mystery suspense with a little romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silent Scream-A Joyfully Recommended Title, November 7, 2010
This review is from: Silent Scream (Mass Market Paperback)
Homicide detective Olivia Sutherland is trying to solve an arson case and she needs firefighter David Hunter's help. Olivia has never gotten over the night they spent together two years ago. David broke her heart and she'd like to keep as much distance between them as possible. David has many regrets from his past. One of the biggest being how things went so wrong between he and Olivia. They'll have to put their differences aside to save innocent people from a madman.

Silent Scream's heart pounding action and heartfelt emotion never let up and the suspense and intrigue continues to grow from beginning to end. Plot twists and an angst-filled romance keeps every page riveting. Olivia is strong, intelligent, and tough as nails. Cracks in her façade show her vulnerability, though. David is movie star handsome, and his noble and charitable heart match his good looks, but he's a tortured hero who carries the weight of the world on his shoulders. Olivia and David face their personal demons through the reality of their dangerous professions, creating a poignant and intensely personal story on many levels. The villain in Silent Scream has no conscience. His motives are based on a desire to punish others for their mistakes posing a very interesting dichotomy throughout the story. It's not just fictitiously scary. Modern technology creates the backdrop for him to carry out his evil plans, and it's frighteningly easy for him to do so. While Silent Scream can be read as a stand-alone story, the previous ten novels have connecting characters that will further enhance your reading experience. I highly recommend reading Silent Scream and all of Karen Rose's work.

Nannette
Reviewed for Joyfully Reviewed

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific Read, June 8, 2010
This review is from: Silent Scream (Mass Market Paperback)
I've been a fan of Karen Rose's books since reading her first novel. This one doesn't disappoint - hot romance, great story, characters you can relate to (both good and evil ones). Enjoyed it very much. I can highly recommend this one.

Silent Scream
Silent Scream by Karen Rose (Mass Market Paperback - June 1, 2010)
$7.99 $7.98