5.0 out of 5 stars Nice HD
Works like I expected. We have a lot if music and photos spread across 2 Macs, IPads, phones, and a PC. This drive enables us to access all of the media no matter where we are or what computer we are using. I would recommend this drive to anyone needing storage!
Published 16 months ago by Plummit

1.0 out of 5 stars Backup button no working
The button that says it will "back up in a heart-beat" does not seem to do it's job. There is no indication that it is backing up when pressed and upon inspection of my files, it has not done so. Frustrating that after I contacted the company about this, they pointed back to the directions in the manual. Still not working.
Published 10 months ago by Mcat

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice HD, May 10, 2013
This review is from: Silicon Power Rugged Armor A15 1TB 2.5-Inch USB 3.0 Drop Tested MIL-STD-810F Military Grade External Hard Drive, Black (SP010TBPHDA15S3K) (Personal Computers)

5.0 out of 5 stars Afghanistan lifeline, October 26, 2013
Currently have three of these. One serves as my main movie and show holder that travels with me over here in Afghanistan while the other two are backups of A- My entire laptop B- My main movie and show hard drive. So far my main drive has traveled almost 1000 miles on convoys and has seen use all over Helmand province (including outside/overnight) with no issues. Have and will continue to recommend to my fellow Marines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast and tough, March 19, 2014
Nuknuk (Springfield, VA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Length:: 0:59 Mins

I first plugged it to my PC and was glad that it didn't ask to install any software like other external hard drives I had before. My first task was to copy a 1G avi video from the desktop to the drive - 10.3 seconds. Copying back from the A15 to the PC took a little longer at 13.7 seconds.

I ran the Crystal Disk Mark and it posted read at 123 MB/s and write at 121 MB/s for a simple test. As for real world test I transferred 12 Gigs of all kinds of files from my Dropbox folder to the drive - 4 mins and 32 seconds.

Using BlackMagicDesign for sped test, the drive was roaring on my Mac Air with read at 345 MB/s 9 and even up to 540.0 MB/s and writes at 327 MB/s. A 1.47 Gbs movie copies at 13.81 seconds to the drive and copied back at 12.5 seconds.

The drive is clad in hard rubber (or armor is how they call it) all throughout. It is rated military grade MIL-STD-810F meaning it was tested by dropping it 26 times on lava from 4 ft away. 4 ft having been the typical distance you may accidentally drop something chest high. (OK, I did lie on the lava thing.) The test is to have it drop in different angles, the sides, front, bottom, etc and the drive doesn't have to be on. And for the reason that they have already drop tested it, I will not test it again on this review. I will just take their word for it :)

Quick specs:
- 1 TB
- USB 3.o
- 2.5" drive
- One-touch back-up (which I couldn't care less)
- Win, Mac & Linux compatible
- Weight: 200g
- I cannot find any data on the RPM

A sample of this product was sent to me for review purposes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive, May 12, 2013
Kim Cummins (AUSTIN, TX, US) - See all my reviews
This drive is fan-freakin-tastic! I got it to replace my old 750GB backup, that's starting to go. Data transfers are screaming fast on the USB 3.0 (compared to USB 2.0), and because I do sometimes keep current work on it and carry it with me, the incredible durability is a must have.
Part of what I think might have contributed to my old backup drive's demise was a recent event while traveling--some guy wasn't paying attention to where he was going, was hurrying through the terminal (to get to the sandwich shop, not his connection), and tripped over my rolling laptop bag. He kicked it so hard when he tripped that it flew from my hand and was knocked about five feet across the concourse. My old backup drive didn't have the kind of shock protection this drive has, and I've had problems with it ever since. With the MILSPEC drop testing and shock resistance on this drive, I don't have to worry about silly people who can't see a 28-in by 10-in rolling laptop case right in front of them.

I did have to gig the drive a star (would prefer it if I could do half stars, because to my way of thinking, this isn't worth gigging a whole star over) because sometimes, Win 7 decides to "lose" the drive and it disappears. Simple fix: just unplug the drive and plug it back in. This never happens during file transfers; it most often occurs after a restart or a reboot and doesn't interfere with the drive's operation in any way. Really, it's an annoyance, but one I shouldn't have to deal with, particularly since my USB 3.0 ports are in the back of my rig and I've had to turn my entire rig sideways to compensate for this minor irritation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I needed it to be., April 28, 2013
In a deployed environment it helps to have rugged gear. I can't help but love the fact that I can carry this thing around with me everywhere. It's very portable. I have also noticed a lot of individuals here have HDD that require an alternate power source. This one is powered through the USB which makes it just that much better.

Love it 5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Mac and PC compatible; should have gotten the blue one, April 1, 2013
Got this because my old western digital hard drive doesn't work on my mac. This hard drive works on both; much faster on my mac than my pc (neither 3.0 usb). I wish I had gotten the blue version of this as I didn't realize the green/ black version does not have the mini USB cord that fits within it. I will change this review if it breaks on me. I'm not going to test it by dropping it in case it doesn't work haha.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good drive, just don't use it for Windows 8., August 5, 2013
Andrew P Cordero (Woburn, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This drive appears to be solidly built and performs well.

I could not get it to reliably connect to a Window 8 notebook.

I checked the manufacturer site and the mail product has a Windows 8 logo to imply compatibility but if you drill down to the specifications page, Win8 is not listed.

I have had this drive a few months and have not tried, nor felt the need to connect it to the Win 8 notebook.

I assume a driver or firmware update will be eventually released but that does not appear to have happened just yet.

Otherwise, it's a good drive.

4.0 out of 5 stars overall great, but take notice...., July 10, 2014
Wonderful capacity, speed is great, one isssue is fat 32 format makes doing backups on here difficult. If you format to ntfs, you lose 60 gb....oh well. 932 gbs is still a lot of room for back ups, and i dont have to fiddle with widgets and other stuff to back up to it now. It works and is sturdily constructed. Just be aware that you are not going to be plug and play with fat32 as a backup to an ntfs desktop or laptop. You will have to perform some gyrations before you can use it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Backup button no working, November 5, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, October 25, 2013
Needed this to back up my families pictures, documents & everything I need to save. Works perfect & its easy. Came fast within a week and best of all for the price it could not be beat. :D Love LOVE LOVE this little wonder. Now I dont have to worry about loosing my precious pictures again when something crashes or breaks.

Rate and Discover Movies