Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 270 questions
votes
3 separate pc's concurrently. Remember if you are recording a show and watching another you are using 2 tuners. Make sure all tuners are programmed correctly as well. I went a year without being able to use one until I discovered I had one of my tuners configured for HD air antenna source and not cable tv.
Mar 3, 2014 by Steven
votes
Well, let me answer this way: It is essentially a cable box for your network. If, you currently enjoy cable television from someone like Time Warner, you have a cable box at each of your televisions that allow you to select the QAM channels on their wire, some open and others subscription required. Within each of those boxes is the functional equivalent of a 'cable card.' The cable card tells the tuner box which channels are a part of your particular subscription package and allows access accordingly. HR Prime serves the same tuning purpose as does the box but instead of pushing the tuned channel(s) directly to your TV, makes them accessible to computers on your network via Ethernet connection. The cable card (available from your TV provider) serves the same function in the HR Prime as in the cable box. Each PC on your network does require installation of Silicon Dust's HDHomeRun software (http://www.silicondust.com/support/hdhomerun/downloads/) in order to 'talk' with the HR Prime. I personally use my HR Prime with a Time Warner-provided cable card and watch/record my subscription channels using the Windows Media Center application found on my Windows 7 PCs, laptops and Media Center Extenders. I retained only one cable box from TWC for the TV in my living room, and have never looked back. Hope this helps.
Dec 6, 2013 by Rev Bob
votes
If you are wanting to view the HD homerun on your laptop it should be fine. If you are wanting to use this laptops as a WMC to an external TV it may be sketchy. I use a Lenovo I5 laptop with HD video card on a 55 inch LED and it gets choppy at times.
Mar 1, 2014 by JMB
votes
From what I can gather, you still have to pay for the channels and a card. This only allows you to stream to all the other devises in your house without having to pay the cable co for other boxes.
Jun 2, 2014 by Cynthia
vote
I use it with vlc, for instance if you want to watch channel 5 then start vlc like this "vlc -f http://192.168.1.3:5004/auto/v5.1?dlna" use command in between quotes. I am actually using linux but there is know reason it shouldn't work with IOS. Also there is a HDHOMERUN App you can get for 90 cents that works with IOS.
Dec 6, 2014 by Michael Edwards
vote
The documentation says "If your provider uses SDV, connect the tuning adapter to the USB port on the HDHomeRun PRIME and the cable-line." SDV is Switched Digital Video.
Sep 3, 2014 by CDs4Movies
vote
yes this attaches to your local network via cat5 cable and to your cable service with standard RG6 coaxial cable. you will need a multi stream cable card from the cable company. it is important that you get the M card or the tuner will not work but I had no problem getting the correct cable card from Comcast. once you set it up and install the software and driver from silicon dust included or downloaded you run the windows media center tv setup and it will find the tuners. if you are only using clear unencrypted channels the cable card may not be needed but to get pay channels or if charter encrypts all channels like Comcast does the cable card is needed.
Jan 27, 2014 by Michael A. Parks
vote
With a Mac you can hook 1 EyeTV box to the USB port & 1 HDHomeRun box to the ethernet port. That gives me 3 tuners.
Jan 3, 2015 by Amazon Customer
vote
Short answer yes. You will need cable card from cable provider and you will need subscription to HBO. Some areas you will also need a tuning adaptor that your cable company provides. Once you have that set up you can watch it on your computer. You can also watch it on any device that is connected to your network that can run windows media center (like xbox) Keep in mind these devices do not do on demand so if you are looking for HBO on demand services it will not work.
Apr 10, 2014 by AmznFriend
vote
storage Dec 20, 2013
All storage is handled on what ever PC that connects to the box. Weather it be mythtv, windows media center, or a dozen other products all of them have there own storage engine that will control how much storage is used and were the data gets stored.
Dec 20, 2013 by Robert Middleswarth
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   27   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers