Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 115 questions
votes
Absolutely, I have two XP pro machines sharing this device. I am very pleased with its quality HD video and its intuitive function. Best money I ever spent on Multi Media.
Oct 26, 2013 by W. Darryl Hauser
votes
No problem. From the PDF manual on the SiliconDust web site: "Alternatively the HDHomeRun can be connected directly to a PC or laptop using the supplied network cable. A cross-over cable is not required."
Jan 17, 2013 by Rod
votes
Yes and no. This device TUNES free over the air TV signals from an antenna, converts it to a streaming MPEG2 format, and sends it out over your home network to any computer or device that can use it. It is up to those computer's or devices to display, record, or otherwise use the video. The unit includes software for viewing but not recording. Computers running Windows Media Center, MythTV, or an assortment of other DVR software packes or devices can record from it.
Nov 30, 2013 by J. Melbo
votes
Yes.
Jan 28, 2013 by kaiseiken
votes
No, it probably won't. This device tunes FOTA (free over the air) ATSC and clear QAM (the cable version of ATSC). Clear QAM means UNENCRYPTED. Since you state that AT&T U-Verse absolutely requires a set top box, this leads me to conclude that their signals are encrypted, and therefore unusable by this device. SiliconDust makes another product which can tune encrypted QAM cable type signals. You need to get an "M-card" from your service provider, and plug it into that tuner. M-cards are "cable cards" and the M stands for multi-stream (so that it can service more than a single tuner at a time). But anyway, this device you are asking about here is just for ATSC and clear QAM.
Jan 19, 2014 by J. Melbo
votes
InstaTv Pro is your solution, http://instatv-app.com/ I use one of them, and sometimes on HD channels it can be a little flakey at times, but it works for the IPAD. Still trying to get it to work on Roku. No idea on appletv.
Jan 22, 2013 by Brian
votes
The silicon dust website is pretty good for support. To use this tuner you will need a couple of things - 1) a place with power to plug it in that also has access to your home network via an Ethernet cable, as well as access to the co-ax cable from your antenna. 2) a computer of some type that you can leave on all the time, preferably something newer running windows 7 or 8. I run windows 8 and ran into a few config issues but nothing that was a deal breaker. You also need to leave your computer on all the time so it can record your shows. You need to be able to allow programs to wake it from sleep mode or turn off sleep mode entirely. Make sure you have decent signal from the antenna first before you go to far. antennaweb.org can be useful for this. Or if you already have a tv plugged in to the antenna and it works that is a pretty good indicator as well. Once you have the tuner hooked into your network you will need to set up whatever media recorder you plan to use. Windows Media Center is pretty user friendly if you are a novice. It comes free as part of Windows Vista and 7 but is a $10 upgrade for windows 8 pro. life hacker has a pretty good guide here: http://lifehacker.com/5515398/set-up-a-geeky-media-center-that-non+geeks-can-actually-use If you are little more computer savy there are other programs out there you can use such as xbmc or mythbuntu, here is a comparison of a couple of them: http://lifehacker.com/5462275/which-media-center-is-right-for-you-boxee-xbmc-and-windows-media-center-compared here is a good writeup of Mythtv: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/applications/complete-guide-to-mythtv-947946#articleContent or go to the wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythTV Best bet if you are a novice is to go with windows media center.
Nov 13, 2013 by Andrew N Grant
votes
It will support H.264 AVC encoding and will DLNA support. If your TV supports DLNA, you can stream live TV to it rather than having to go through Myth, WMC, Sage, etc. For people with TVs that support DLNA, this would be great.
Oct 16, 2013 by Mr. Bottom Tooth
votes
The short answer is YES. The more elaborate answer lies in the details. Here is what Silicon Dust says: "Elgato EyeTV + HDHomeRun brings HD television to the Mac. Fully featured high-definition DVR from every Mac in your home. Elgato's EyeTV software not provided by SiliconDust". So you need MAC software, EyeTV. Otherwise, you need software that is fully DLNA compliant. I repeat, FULLY DLNA COMPLIANT!
Jul 8, 2014 by John T. Clendenin
votes
Yes it does - I have it hooked directly to a mohu HD antenna - it works great - the only issue I have with it is that the recorded video (uncompressed) is an extremely large file so .... I can watch it on the PC I use to record but difficult to compress and then share throughout the house - but I haven't had the time to really dig into a solution for that
Mar 5, 2014 by Gliese581
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers