5.0 out of 5 stars It works fine with my ACER netbook
It arrived on time. I plugged it into my ACER. I put a CD in it. And it worked. It has worked every time since then. What's more to say?
Published on July 19, 2011 by D. Pepe

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not work as advertised
Published on June 6, 2012 by HMDustin

5.0 out of 5 stars It works fine with my ACER netbook, July 19, 2011
D. Pepe (Jacksonville, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SiliconTech USB 2.0 External CD DVD RW Burner Drive for Acer Aspire One, DELL... (Electronics)

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine With Acer Aspire One A0722 Netbook, December 10, 2011
Bought this external Drive for my Acer Aspire One A0722 Netbook, running Win 7 Home Premium, primarily to create system recovery disks. Works fine for this, and the Acer will boot from the DVD Drive if the system BiOS boot priority is correctly setup. Reads/Burns on the Acer Netbook using only the USB data cable (no need to plug in the included USB Power Cable). The Amazon Product Description shows that an AC Adapter(5V) is also included with the Drive ....but this is not correct! I checked this with the Amazon supplier (MLC Distribution) who advised me that the Amazon Product Description is out of date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silicon Tech USB 2.0 external burner, DVD drive, January 26, 2011
I have had this about a month now, seems to be doing everything I wanted it to do, watch DVD movies, install programs, just about anything you can do with an internal drive. It has a media player that comes with the burner called InterActive, this I didn't like at all, I would recommend downloading VLC (Its free) and does the job nicely. I would definately advise buying this product. I have an Acer netbook Aspire one D255 running Windows XP which I also like.

5.0 out of 5 stars external USB CD/DVD RW drive, November 10, 2010
We purchased this external USB CD/DVD RW drive to use with our netbook and are very happy with it. It works well and it was cheap! LOL

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, possibly with manufacturing quality issues, October 18, 2010
dgcraig (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I had purchased this DVD drive twice before -- the first and second time through a seller fulfilled by Amazon.com. The second drive functioned inconsistently, when it worked at all. The third drive purchased came from a different seller and works just as well as the first. I'd buy more if needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, July 18, 2012
Scott (Technogeek) (Coastal Southern California) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a generic DVD Burner just like all the others at the computer store, but for less money. Will work with any computer with USB ports (note that some computer USB ports have limited power output, so the included cable allows connecting to 2 USB ports if needed). Works well and is instantly recognized by Windows 7, Vista, and Windows XP.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not work as advertised, June 6, 2012
I have a Sony Vaio. It is about 5 years old but it still works great. With the exception of the DVD burner. It lost the ability to burn discs. Since I am currently stationed in Afghanistan I decided not to buy a new computer, instead I just bought this external DVD burner. It does not work as advertised. They claim and I qoute "This DVD-RW drive can read and write all of todays DVD and CD disc types" It does not!!! When I ordered this burner I also ordered a stack of DVD-R discs and this unit will not burn them. Since I am in Afghanistan it is a real inconvenience to now have to throw away a brand new tower of DVD-R discs and order another tower of DVD-RW discs.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, October 1, 2011
Worked fine with new pc using only USB connection...should work with any pc...mine were a Sony win 7 and a MacBook. Both worked pretty much right way without second wire, which would need if port did no supply enuff power.Nice cheap way to take stress off your much more expensive built in drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price, September 5, 2013
This device worked perfectly. It was plug and play with my new Acer Windows 8 laptop which did not have a DVD drive installed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fast delivery, February 4, 2013
I ordered this item to use with a netbook and to install software on computers. Delivery was very fast and packaging was new and clean,opened the box,,,no cable or cables,no drivers and an instruction manuel that was like half of a 3x 5 index card.
the missing cables not a problem,tried to open unit ??? It had no face plate on it just a bare tray front ? found sone cables and it loaded just fine(?) opened it using the system software put in a blank CD to try it out ...Kicked it back out giving error code of 14489 then telling me to install a cd/dvd...Same with a DVD not working.Then tried to run a CD with data kicked out ,telling me to put in a disc...tried a video DVD and a video CD same results...i tried this unit on 2 laptops,a netbook and a desktop and got pretty much the same results each time...
I left a bad review,which has since disappeared, and was also following receiving another defective unit from a different vendor with was only a CDROM.
I contacted Amazon and made arrangements to return both items,since this time i have gotten 2 emails from this vendor 'SilconTech' asking me to remove my negative review,well in all fairness i will increase the rating to two stars,but only because they cannot check every item that is received and shipped by them,but maybe they should take a better look at their suppliers...