Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: StarPack Premium Silicone Spatula Set of 4 with Hygienic Solid Coating - Bonus 101 Cooking Tips (Cherry Red)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

I do a lot of cooking and use a lot of spatulas in the course of all that cooking. A few of the spatulas that I use have been in use for many years and are still going strong. I've also recently had some silicone spatulas that have literally started disintegrating after only a few weeks of use. So all silicone spatulas are not necessarily going to be durable or long lasting.

It's funny in a way how used to silicone spatulas I have become. Since silicone has a very high tolerance to heat, I don't think twice any more about using one to stir butter that is in a hot pan or use it to flip a burger. I had a wake up call recently when we were using a spatula that was in the kitchen of a friends house. I just forgot that not all spatulas are made of silicone... some are just plastic. Plastic melts. And when I used the spatula in the hot frying pan, it completely melted the head as I was stiring something in the pan. Doh!

So needless to say, I'm a big fan of silicone spatulas.

These spatulas have a metal shaft completely encased with silicone. They are just one piece unlike most of my other spatulas which have heads that can be removed from the handle for cleaning. Since these have a steel shaft encased in the silicone, there is no need to have a detachable head thus it is seamless and therefore more hygenic since it is easier to clean. I do have a concern however, particularly with the shorter spatula. The metal shaft does not extend the full length of the handle. The top inch or two of silicone can bend over quite easily over the end of the internal metal shaft and I worry that eventually the metal might poke a hole through the silicone.

You might think that the steel handle would cause these to get really hot if you were stirring simmering soup or something like that... but silicone happens to be an excellent insulator so that is not an issue at all.

The shorter spatula is about 8.5 inches long and is handy for using in small bowls and also as a spreader for certain types of tasks. The larger spatula is about 11.25" long and has a thicker handle. But that one has a mold release seam along both sides of the handle that is a bit uncomfortable in my hand. I've never had a spatula that had a rough edge on the handle before so that's the reason I deducted a star from my rating.

Only time will tell how these hold up over the long haul. They seem sturdy and as long as the metal shaft doesn't eventually punch a hole through the silicone outer shell, they should be long-lived. I do absolutely like that these are one piece which makes them much easier to wash and keep clean.

I'll update my review as necessary.

I was provided a sample for review.
1313 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2015
I am 70 years old so I have a LOT of cooking and kitchen tool experience! I have searched for really good, cleanable and useful spatulas. This is the first purchase in years that is exactly what I was looking for at a price that is fair! Being one piece it has no hidden, food trapping crevices or nooks. Being seamless again keeps it cleaner. The handle is good and strong so there are no slips that can cause a burn or loose contact when scraping. What's the point of scraping if it leaves gaps!!?? The sizes cover all needs as the longer one is long enough to use in a deep pot without getting burned! When you make me happy with a new kitchen tool you have REALLY done something! Would not only recommend but would gladly give them as a loving gift!
VINE VOICEon March 22, 2014
I have begun using silicone spatulas, which are awesome because I can use them in pans as well as bowls! These are perfectly shaped, with a rounded edge for bowls and a pointed edge for corners! And best of all, they are a single, solid piece! There are no cracks or crevices to worry about food getting into them.

I do a lot of canning, including jellies, which makes this an ideal instrument! And having four of them on hand means I always have a clean one to grab! I do appreciate the smaller one for small jobs, but I appreciate it even more for when my granddaughter helps me! It is just perfect for small hands.

I received a complimentary set to check out and test for my review. I am happy to be able to give them five stars.

EDITED: I had to add this in! I have been making caramel, which needs high temperatures to cook. I was able to use these when I was working with the caramel and they did an awesome job! It was so nice not to worry about the spatulas and even more, not to have to worry about cleaning these up. They worked perfectly in the heat and cleaned up perfectly.

I know, they are "just spatulas," but they are very nice ones. :-)
on January 29, 2014
This is an excellent starter set, for any serious cook who desires to keep a pristine kitchen! I have been concerned about the bacteria present in spatulas/bowl scrapers which have two parts. I threw away all my two-part spatulas/bowl scrapers and purchased these "unibody" silicone spatulas. The have a solid steel core so they will last a very long time.
33 comments|20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2015
Pros: Silicone, and all its benefits
Cons: Like many spatulas, handle stiffener extends too far into blade, resulting in less than optimal performance
I wasn't aware of the con until I randomly acquired a spatula with a softer blade. It is surprising how much better it works for folding egg whites, scraping bowls, etc.
on October 17, 2014
Rather nice product - the one-piece design with fully-encased stainless steel handles make them easy to keep clean, and their flexibility is handy when cooking. The only reason this review doesn't have five stars is the fact that the stainless steel doesn't go as far to the end of the smaller spatulas as I'd like, making them a bit too flexible at the handle end, but it's a relatively trivial issue. The larger spatulas don't have this issue.
on February 10, 2016
Reading other reviews I was a little hesitant about ordering these spatulas, but now that I have them I am quite pleased with their quality and usefulness. They seem to be quite sturdy due to the rod embedded in them and I have cleared out all my other various spatulas.
on August 12, 2015
I love these. They are perfect for getting that last little bit out of the bottom of a can. The silicone handle/head are all one piece so the head doesn't slip off like some others I've owned. It does have a metal core, so you can't put them in the microwave. (But who does that?) on the other hand, it gives them a nice heft.
review image
on May 19, 2014
Especially for the extra money I paid for them. These have a metal core surrounded by silicone. The problem is that the metal does not extend to the end of the handle. If the handles were longer this wouldn't be a problem. Try doing any job with a floppy handle = not fun. The smaller ones already have a short handle, add 1.5 inches of floppy silicone at the end and they are almost useless, especially when trying to reach the bottom of a jar which is what I usually use the small ones for. Only good thing is that I don't have to remove the handle to clean them. Not very happy.
on June 5, 2015
I was excited to get to try StarPack Ultimate Silicone Spatula Set. I was in need of a good quality spatula set and my kitchen decor is red so these are a perfect addition to my kitchen tool collection! I LOVE that they are all one piece and not a rubber spatula attached to a flimsy handle. I like that they have a hole for hanging them up.It is nice that they are different sizes and are very sturdy. I really like good the quality of these silicone spatulas. I use them while cooking in my non stick pans as well as frosting cakes and getting every last bit out of my mixing bowls. They work great, clean up easily and I think every kitchen needs a set! I recommend them. I received this product in exchange for a review. All my opinions are my own, based on my personal experience with the product. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.
review image review image review image