5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome air rifle
Published 15 months ago by S. M. Pollington

1.0 out of 5 stars This air rifle was great AT FIRST! BAD QUALITY.
Published 7 months ago by Matt Furman

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome air rifle, September 9, 2013
This review is from: Silver Kodiak X2 Dc Air Rifle W/3-9X32 (Sports)
I use this gun for hunting bunnies. This scope actually picks up some light in the failing light so that you can see targets better than with the naked eye. The power with the beeman's has always been awesome too. Pellets go through bunnies, no problem. The gun has a nice hunters look to it and the kids cant use it when I'm not around because its too heavy for them to charge the air piston. This gun will sound exactly like a .22 if you use non lead pellets instead of the standard lead pellets. It can reach over 1200 ft/sec if you use the high grade pellets. My dog has been very happy ever since I started feeding him rabbit meat, and he's healthier too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this rifle, September 26, 2013
This review is from: Silver Kodiak X2 Dc Air Rifle W/3-9X32 (Sports)
I purchased this about a week ago at Walmart. It was a very hard decision because of all the pellet riffles out there. I do not hunt unless I need to take out a pest...snake, spiders(very fun to shoot because they are little bulls-eyes(I live in the woods so I have plenty)..pen point accuracy) or whatever. I use it mostly for target shooting and man this thing rocks. I love it. It quickly replaced all my other rifles and is powerful without the noise. Depending on ammo that is. I switch between the .22 and .177 which obviously you will have to adjust the scope. Different fps will cause you not to hit the same place at 50 yards. This thing is accurate. I can put 5 of 5 shots in the target about a milimeter apart if not on top of the other shot. I cant say what it will do to the game your shooting at but as the other reviewer wrote, it took care of his. I shoot through a plank of half inch wood and it went in cleanly and blew the back out nastily. Shot a bowling pin and it sent the pellet back at me with some serious force so I would not recommend that. Either which way this gun is awesome. Looks and feels like a real riffle. Bit heavy. my woman doesn't care to shoot it to much. the scope I got with it was a 4x32 beeman which is a good scope. once I sighted it in I am on. Good buy. Bought mine at Walmart in store for $97 or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead on!, April 10, 2014
This review is from: Silver Kodiak X2 Dc Air Rifle W/3-9X32 (Sports)
My friend in Fl. bought one one before I did. The reason that I also bought one was because he convinced me that it came with a good scope and with either the 177 or the 22 cal. barrel, they were dead on. When I got mine, I mounted the scope. I took it out back and started sighting it in using a thick phone book for a target with a black magic marker bullseye that I drew on it. The first shot sounded almost as loud as a 22 long rifle. I was shocked because I have three other all gas piston rifles that never sounded like it. After three shots it wasn't nearly as loud. Once I got the 177 barrel sighted in I had put the last 4 shots within the quarter size bullseye. I was happy with that. I then put the 22 barrel on and adjusted the same. Out of the last four shots, the first almost hit the bull dead center. The 2nd hit the same hole. The 3rd &4th were touching one another just below the center of the bullseye. I was amazed at how much better this gun out preformed all of my other more expensive guns. I then decide that seeing how good it was shooting the bullseye, that I would try plinking my spinner target. I shot at the 1st 2/12" spinner and missed. Then again and again. I was so pissed that I put the gun away. The next day I tried my Crosman Premier Hollow points that I am happy with for my other guns. But I also could not get them to hit any where close. I new then that it had to be something else. I took the two Allan head wrenches that came with the gun and found out that the set screw for the barrel had come loose. I also then checked the scope screws and found all of them loose. I then used Permatex threadlocker. Let it dry for 24 hrs. Now the gun is dead on consistently. Great gun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for KIDS!!, May 20, 2014
Greentre (Conch Republic) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Kodiak X2 Dc Air Rifle W/3-9X32 (Sports)
I bought this locally to replace my old chinese spring pellet rifle. I read a lot of reviews and then borrowed a friend of mines Beeman RS2 which has the wood stock. Both rifles will put a pellet into a 1/2" bulls-eye at 20 yards once you find the right weight pellet. Both of ours like 7-7.5 grain pellets in .177; haven't checked to see what .22 weights will be the most accurate.

I said this is not for kids for a couple of reasons; it is VERY hard to cock and the power with which the pellets are fired equals a regular small caliber firearm. It also is not for residential neighborhoods, the pellets break the sound barrier and sound like a 22 long rifle firing.

Other features I like are the smooth trigger action, the scope, the safety location and the safety being automatically on when cocking the rifle. For the Silver Kodiak being in nickel finish with a synthetic stock cuts down on problems from rust and warping being near the ocean or other large bodies of water.

You do need to clean the rifle well to keep it from dieseling the first few pellets. Also, as others have stated the screws need to be lock-tighted and tightened, especially the barrel set screw. Remember to hold the barrel when loading because if it snaps shut it could injure you or someone else, or bend the barrel. If the barrel gets bent this way Beeman WILL NOT repair or replace it under warranty. Do not use PellGun oil for this rifle use a good silicone lubricant specifically formulated for high power springers and gas strut guns.

And as always "Treat EVERY gun as if it were loaded and keep the barrel pointed in a safe direction at all times."

1.0 out of 5 stars This air rifle was great AT FIRST! BAD QUALITY., May 27, 2014
This review is from: Silver Kodiak X2 Dc Air Rifle W/3-9X32 (Sports)
I own many firearms but due to noise and gun laws I needed something silent and powerful to help with the ground squirrel problem. I purchased this air rifle brand new and I couldn't of been happier with the performance. I followed all maintenance instructions as well as loading instructions. Over a period of two weeks the grouping of the pellets at close range was hideous! I couldn't figure out for the life of me what the hell was wrong. I had it on a stable table with a gun rest and in the same position every time. I used a high quality laser bore sighter and my scope was dead on. I finally took a look at both barrels and lined them up parallel to one another and I couldn't believe it the .177 barrel was bent upward! I always handled it properly and never slammed the brake barrel down or up. I couldn't believe it! So I was stuck with the .22 barrel now. NO JOKE less than 2 weeks later. The same thing happened to it. I tried to contact the company about it and they said that's the only thing we won't cover on our warranty. I was shocked as they said yea it's due to rough use and user it at fault. THEY SAID IT IN THE INSTRUCTIONS that the barrel will warp if not cocked properly. Its so cheap! I would never buy this gun again.

5.0 out of 5 stars It gets quieter, let it break in, September 2, 2014
This review is from: Silver Kodiak X2 Dc Air Rifle W/3-9X32 (Sports)
Clean out the barrels before shooting, and expect it to be VERY loud for the first dozen or so shots. The others describing the report being equivalent to a .22LR are not exaggerating, but this is because of an effect known as "dieseling" where left over manufacturing lubricants and greases combust inside of the compression chamber due to the high pressures--thus called dieseling. The manual also describes this and suggests that it may take up to a whole tin of pellets to settle in, but usually only takes a couple dozen--that was my experience as well. Once it quiets down, it's much better--keep in mind due to the mechanics it will always be loud to the shooter, filling the butt-stock with foam of some kind can help cut this noise down to a better level by relieving the echo. To non-shooting observers or those downrange the noise is hardly loud at all and sounds like a "plunk"--in fact I would swear the sound of my pellets hitting my steel backstop are louder than the gun's report. This is no joke, but I shot it for an hour or two straight on my buddy's porch while he slept on the couch only 6' away on the other side of the door and he said he never heard a thing. Just don't let the sound discourage you from purchasing this rifle, you might need to go out of town to burn off all the oils/grease but afterward it's quiet as a mouse.

This gun really surprised me with the build quality and the price point. I expected very flimsy, cheap plastic and poorly machined steel but instead it's all pretty nice. I mean we're not talking about top-level precision machining--there are a few burrs and rough spots, but the plastic stock is very sturdy and all the knurling is actually very "sharp" and grippy and it all feels pretty solid. Even the included 3-9x32 scope isn't too shabby, although I would not expect it to last more than a few thousand shots because of the nature of spring-powered air rifles--the nature of the recoil suddenly "stopping" when the spring comes to a halt induces tremendous G forces on scopes, so while you can use the included scope for a while you should probably look into buying an springer-rated replacement if you start having problems with it.

I could go on but basically this gun is a version of Beeman's RS2 dual caliber with a wood stock that's gained a reputation for being a very decent dual-caliber air-rifle despite it being Chinese made and at a ~$100 pricepoint--if you want to do more research start there as this is a relatively new offering. One thing that is really great about the RS2 is the trigger, as it allows the user two adjustments ( length of first stage and overall force of pull ) with simple screw drivers, and if one wanted to have it "tuned" there are a lot of people that know how.

I have heard other airgun enthusiasts say that this particular airgun's recoil is pretty heavy and that is a "hold sensitive" rifle. Basically put, since the pellet has so much time to leave the barrel and because there's a lot that happens mechanically before it does, the muzzle tends to move around a lot during the firing sequence. The tighter you try to hold it still will create little "haromic" points where the muzzle vibrates differently because you held it in a different place, and the more difficult it will be to hold it consistently still in the same place each and every time, using the same amount of force/pressure, etc. Instead airgunners promote what is called the "artillery hold" which is essentially finding a way to let the stock of the rifle rest on your open palm while still giving it enough support to aim properly, and then letting the gun do what it wants in terms of recoil. That way the muzzle is more consistently in the same spot when the pellet leaves the gun. Instead of doing MORE to hold the gun still, you do LESS to let it do what it wants and achieve consistency.

Personally I group about 3/4" at 18 yards, but I'm not too accustomed to spring-guns and not use to a 4x scope. I've seen better shooters than I report 1/2" groups at 50 yards. I wouldn't say it's a difficult rifle to shoot, but there is a learning curve--one that would be inherent to any air rifle of this type. It is definitely me and not the rifle however, inside of 4 yards (i.e. across the room) I can put pellets right on top of each other, one after another. Beeman states they tested it to shoot .200" groups at 10 meters.

I'm a big guy so the cocking effort is no problem for me, but even I struggle to hold the thing up shooting off-hand. It's a pretty heavy rifle to begin with, but to add to that it seems kind of front-heavy. I'd like to figure out a way to add some weight into the stock to balance it out. I don't think it will tire someone out carrying it around in the brush if that's what they wanna do, but don't spend too long holding it up or you'll get fatigued quickly--but hey finding improvised support isn't hard.

All that being said, if you wanna plink popcans and such you'll probably love this gun right out of the box the first day you shoot it. If you like to shoot groups/silhouettes or hunt ( humanely ) then you may feel it takes a little time to break in, but it eventually turns into a real shooter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scope isn't the best so I replaced it with a Centerpoint scope, September 2, 2014
This review is from: Silver Kodiak X2 Dc Air Rifle W/3-9X32 (Sports)
Bought one on a leap of faith due to practicality of dual caliber. Scope isn't the best so I replaced it with a Centerpoint scope. Sighted it in at 50 yards & consistently hitting within a dime using 14.2 grains Premier .22 ammo. First shot was loud due to dieseling effect. It's a great budget rifle. It has already claimed 3 varmints at 50 yards. All with one shot each.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great rifle for pest control, May 24, 2014
This review is from: Silver Kodiak X2 Dc Air Rifle W/3-9X32 (Sports)
I haven't held a rifle in 40 years, but the squirrels have gotten so bad in our yard, that I decided to try out a pellet gun. (I tried 'scaring' with airsoft, but they would be back in on the feeders in a few minutes. We also tried trapping, but at one ever day or two, it would take a long time to impact the population.) I was originally goint to get a .177 rifle, but after trying a friends Beeman (with the .22 barrel), I was leaning to .22 and got this rifle with a 4x32 scope

I cleaned the barrels before firing to minimize dieseling and reduce the break-in time. I sighted in the .177 barrel first with about 20 shots, then I killed a squirrel the with my first shot. I got 5 more with that barrel, then switched to the .22 with similar result. I seem to have better knockdown with it, since fewer squirrels are limping away after being hit. (My aim might also be getting better.)

I can't compare this to anything else, but I can't imagine it being any better for what I needed. I'm obviously not a marksman, but I shoot tight groupings with this (at 10-15 yards), and less than 10% of my squirrel shots have missed completely. The 4x32 scope is fine for my yard, since the longest shots are 15 yards. It is very clear and sharp (except at very close distances). Adjusting the scope was easy. I was careful to tighten all screws on the rifle and scope, since other reviews (and videos) indicated that could be a problem.

I cleaned the barrels using a loop of 30# fishing line to pull the cleaning patches through the barrel. I saw that on an instruction video, and it worked just fine and costs $0.

Overall, this seems to be a great rifle (for my short range needs) at a great price. My friend has the 3-9x32 scope, and it is much better, since it not only zooms, but also has adjustable focus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Matt, I dunno what you did to the poor rifle, maybe a lemon, August 14, 2014
This review is from: Silver Kodiak X2 Dc Air Rifle W/3-9X32 (Sports)
Matt I'm sorry to say that might be user error, I traveled to every store that sold this rifle and asked specifically if anyone returned this rifle or had any complaints, even took it to a gun range and had the experts look at it, they mentioned it was a very well built rifle and I let them have a couple pellets for testing on me, they enjoyed it, and having said they are fire arm experts not air gun experts I was surprised to hear this, you may have got a lemon though so don't take the "user error" harshly, I use that quote gingerly. But all together no store said anyone had any complaints or returns at all for a long time, not sure what the critical review was for, but very misleading , this is a great rifle for the money ( though it's 30$ cheaper at Walmart ) but I would have paid this if I didn't find it cheaper. Wonderful airgun!

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth, June 16, 2014
This review is from: Silver Kodiak X2 Dc Air Rifle W/3-9X32 (Sports)
I bought mine from a seperately dealer; however it is a great gun. I hit small game mainly it gives the toughest challenge being able to hit such small targets. I hunt coyotes with it (minimum .22 for air rifles in KY) don't let others tell you that its impossible because I've hit so far my best and probably only show from that far with it was 70 yards head shot to a yote. I used a 14.3 grain hollow point from crosman generates 22.88 fpe and I hunt with no less then 15 fpe to kill a yote. This gun is a great buy for you not just the x2 caliber but great knock down power for varmints and mist small game.

Silver Kodiak X2 Dc Air Rifle W/3-9X32