4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Second Album
With a huge success from "How You remind Me," Nickelback have shot from the west coast of Canada to being a big name in music today. Here's the track breakdown for "Silver side Up":
1. Never Again: A song about domestic violence. This is the most pissed off I've ever heard these guys. 9/10
2. How You Remind Me: The single that launched them to the top of the...
Published on March 17, 2002 by AHtog

3.0 out of 5 stars An perfectly average cd!
Silver-Side Up is a cool cd if you are into bands like 3 door's down and you might find this interesting. It is probably Nickleback's best yet but, I know they can do better. Don't get me wrong I like the band but,there is other cd's out there that I would rather buy. The cd is an overall strong album with a few good songs and a few bad songs. Nickleback is one of those...
Published on February 13, 2005 by The Reject

‹ Previous | 1 2 345 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars There is hope for mainstream yet..., September 24, 2001
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
...but then again, maybe not. At least there are a few bands on the radio who make good music. Nickelback's debut, "The State", was a great album. It didn't blow me away or anything, but I liked it. One day I was driving along, and I heard "How You Remind Me" on the radio. I couldn't remember if it was on "The State" or not, but I was quite taken by how great of a song it was. I was quite sure I would have remembered it, had it been on the debut, but I checked anyway. Not there. So, I hear that there is a new album coming up. Since my birthday was also coming up, I figured I'd ask my grandma to get it for me (oddly enough, she got me the first one for my birthday last year). Well, I must say it's good stuff. It's a bit heavier, more melodic, and slightly better than the first album. There are some impressively heavy riffs in just about every song, and a few solos, although nothing you'll mistake for Steve Vai. "How You Remind Me" is an excellent song. So far, I have not met anyone, regardless of their music tastes, that doesn't like it. "Never Again" is also a great song, with some very jarring lyrics. "Too Bad" is an excellent semi-ballad (it'll probably be their next single), and "Just For" sounds a lot like Staind. Chad Kroeger is an excellent vocalist. He's no Neal Morse or Matt Barlow (read my reviews if you want to know who they are), but he can convey emotion very well. The rest of the songs kind of run together, but are not at all bad. All in all, a decent alt-metal album. I'd really like to hear more stuff like this on the radio. I'm sick of bands like Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, and Korn, and wish that bands like Nickelback, Dust for Life, and Full Devil Jacket would get more attention. They are much more talented, and certainly more deserving of a wide audience. But, oh well. It doesn't mean good music doesn't exist, you just have to know where to find it. Bottom line: If you're sick of the rap, and want some real rock, this is the album to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome cd, October 1, 2001
A. B. Weaver (Las Vegas, NV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
I have to agree with anothe reiewer that said after the first listen they weren't impressed,but upon later listenings they were. I am also in that same category. I wasn't too impressed with 'The State'. It had some good songs on it,but began after a while to seem repetitve. In fact the first time I hear 'How You Remind Me' I thought it was some song on 'The State' that i hadn't heard. When I heard Nickelback was coming out with another cd I figured I'd get it for 'How You Remind Me' the same way I got 'The State' for 'Leader of Man'. Upon my first listening of the cd I wasn't too impressed,but now after hearing the album numerous times I can say that it is an awesome cd. Not one to be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Side Up, September 24, 2001
J. Worden (Concord, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
After hearing the incredible single "How You Remind Me", I had to see if this was just a fluke hit on a mediocre album. I purchased their first album on a whim and decidedly disappointed by the lack of originality, the only song I like on the album was "Leader of Men." So I was not expecting to much from this album and what I heard coming from my speakers literally blow me away. I was so surprised at the awesome musicianship, and improved vocals that encompassed the entire CD, I mean I could not find one song I did not like. The lyrics were more angst and personal that reminded me of another band that recently hit it big with a huge single, Staind. The comparison has to be made this album is definetly similar to Staind's in lyrical perspective. Staind's and Nickelback's hits "How You Remind Me" and "It's Been Awhile" are both receiving massive airplay are helping rock make it back into the mainstream. It could be said that Nickelback is just a mellower Staind, but the power of this album says otherwise and allows them to stand alone.
The album starts with "Never Again" which clearly shows that Nickelback has went in a totally new direction from their debut CD. It with "Woke Up This Morning", "Good Times Gone", and "How You Remind Me" are the immediate highlights. Though songs like "Just For" and "Money Bought" make you not want to skip a song on this superbly made album. "Hangnail" is another good song that you don't want to miss. All I can say is that this is a great album, every song is beautiful and thought-provoking.
Call these guys Staind-wanna-be's or whatever but the fact is they have created an album that stands on it's own and makes people listen. Whatever you do don't miss this album. Along with Staind and Creed, Nickelback is one of the new purveyors of rock in town.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nickelback's best album!, July 5, 2007
Mike Renzulli (Phoenix, Arizona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
After getting "All the Right Reasons" I got all of Nickelback's older albums. While all are very good, I like this one the best. It has a grungy, hard-rock edge to it that I like and all of the songs on this album are very good!

The songs that stand out on this album are "Never Again", "Too Bad", "Just For", "Woke Up This Morning", "Money Bought" and "Good Times Gone". I do not like "How You Remind Me" too much because of all of the radio airplay it got when the song became popular. In my view, the overplay on the radio killed "How You Remind Me".

While I understand the frustration of many who say that Nickelback "sold out" because they decided to go more mainstream. However, I think they were developing their sound like many other bands do and see no difference between Nickelback's sound development and Soundgarden's doing the same thing.

While Soundgarden is, by far, a superior band (I have all of their CDs too), I can appreciate Nickelback's approach since they obviously have to balance making music and selling albums in order to make a living.

I think down the line Nickelback can "return to their roots" and crank out an album just as good as this one. It worked for The Scorpions and Pearl Jam and I think it can happen for these guys too.

5.0 out of 5 stars My First Nickelback Album, and I love it....., January 9, 2006
AnDy_E (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
Nickelback have been regarded as "posers", who only make music for the money. They've been criticized of not making "good" music and of not being innovative. However, I have to disagree with these views. Let's be real for a minute, and realize that most artists, nowadays, make music for the benefits. Now, I am not saying that the creativity and uniqueness has been lost, nonetheless, I am implying that music, for the most part, is done for the "mainstream" popularity.

Silver Side Up possesses some very memorable tracks. In my opinion, people need to look beyond "How You Remind Me." Is it a great song, of course; has it been overplayed, without a doubt, but we need to become aware that other gems lie inside this production. Songs like Woke Up This Morning, Too Bad, Just For and Where Do I Hide are outstanding in their own unique way. My favorite is Good Times Gone, which has this gloomy-ish sound to it. I advise anyone, who's into the likes of Creed, Staind and Lifehouse, to buy SSU.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hey come on, give them a chance, October 14, 2005
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
Now I'm not gonna lie and say I've always been a Nickelback fan. Infact for the longest time I believed in the hype that said Nickelback were the worst band around. I wouldn't even listen to them. I believed them to be the worst band ever. But then from time to time when I was on the way to work with my buddy he played Nickelback. At first I was like, why are you listening to this crap? Then I started getting into it and bobbing my head. I then decided to get thier 2 albums Silver Side Up and The Long Road. Now not all the songs on the albums are great. But there aren't many bands that can say they have a perfect album. But the songs that are great on Silver Side Up make up for that flaw. The 2 best songs in my opinion are How You Remind Me and Never Again. How You Remind me is actually what turned me on to Nickelback. This and Figured You Out were my first to favorite tracks. Then the rest of the songs just grew on me and I find myself singing along to them. I'd avise you all to check out the new album All The Right Reasons. Photograph is an amazing heartfelt song that most of us can relate to. So just give this band a chance and forget the media exposure that goes with it. And don't be afraid to like a band that maybe the rest of ur friends think sucks.

4.0 out of 5 stars "A Big Step Up From 'The State'", September 12, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
Nickelback's second album, "Silver Side Up," shows maturity and growth from the band's first LP, "The State." Not only are the songs on "Silver Side Up" about serious issues, such as the ups and downs of relationships ("Woke Up This Morning"), and abuse ("Never Again"), they are also extremely catchy and radio worthy. The album's first single, "How You Remind Me," is already flowing through stations everywhere and is currently #2 on the Billboard Modern Rock Chart. Nickelback did get some radio play with their breakthrough single, "Leader of Man," but the attention the band is receiving now is nothing compared to their debut success.
Nickelback is following the footsteps of bands such as Staind and Linkin Park by introducing their music to a wider audience. If the first week sales for "Silver Side Up" compare to Staind's "Break the Cycle," Nickelback will soon become a household name in alternative music.
The ten songs on "Silver Side Up" are all amazing, however "How You Remind Me," "Woke Up This Morning," and "Hollywood" are the tracks that stand out the most. If you purchase this album, and you are a new Nickelback fan, make sure to check out the band's first album, "The State." You will not be disappointed in both efforts.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Nickelback album to date, October 7, 2004
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
This is the best of the best of Nickelback with great songs created with the essence of messages behind each song. Almost each song has an internal message and a heart felt plea of modern ailments that is affecting our societies today such as drug and alcohol abuse, domestic voilence, cheating etc. All these songs cover these issues and more. Each song is sung with emotion and feeling by Chad and followed up by the rest of the band.

This is Nickelback at their superb best. Other great songs to listen too are Too Bad (a father and son relationship that goes sour), Money Brought (where fame leads to corruption) and Hangnail (a breakup between a couple - from a male's perspective)

5.0 out of 5 stars Some Good Hard Rock, January 22, 2002
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
The summer of 2001 saw a rise in popularity for the Canadian quartet Nickelback. On the strength of their first single, How You Remind Me, Nickelback dropped their second album, Silver Side Up, only to be faced with extremely strong record sales and a growth in their fan base.
Silver Side Up is picking up where their previous release, The State, left off: playing guitar driven rock and roll. Chad Kroeger leads the band on guitar and vocals, singing songs about abuse, life struggles, and Hollywood while Ryan Peake plays the guitar and backs Chad on vocals. Setting the rhythm are bassist Mike Kroeger and drummer Ryan Vikedal, who play each track well and adds power to the Kroeger/Peake double guitar display.
The drum driven Never Again starts the album off well. Its a rocking song where Mike and Ryan get some time to show that behind the guitars, they are still there. The first single, How You Remind Me, is a very good lyrics and singing and cool working on the instruments. The only problem is that it is so overplayed. Woke Up This Morning is much like the first track except for the fact that the topic of the lyrics is not as dark and the music is more uplifting. The second single, Too Bad, is another good song. Starting off soft and then breaking out into a rocking chorus. The next 5 tracks are of the same formula as the previous tracks: hard rocking riffs, lyrics ranging from personal to imaginative story-telling and solid rhythm. Nickelback has saved the best for last, found in the song Good Times Gone. The track stands out a bit because its a bit softer than the rest but the lyrics are great and the slide guitar is nice.
All in all, Nickelback is a pretty cool band and they play some great music. The only problem I have with the band is their fame. I don't say they are sell-outs but now you have all these people claiming to be Nickelback fans when they are only into one song (poseurs). Too many people like that nowadays. This album is for fans of hard rock and maybe even stuff a little bit softer. For those of you who enjoy this album, you should check out The State. Both albums are wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars for Quality Post-Grunge, June 11, 2006
Matt M. (Hammond, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Side Up (Audio CD)
One of several newer post-Grunge albums that receives mass denigration for being a complete copycat, but Silver Side Up stands out among its competitors. In reality, Nickelback's sophomore effort contains more consistency than most any post-Grunge classic (Sixteen Stone, 14:59, Third Eye Blind), but it still suffers from the same aliments as many quality albums do nowadays; undisciplined listeners simply download the absolute essentials in the major hits `How You Remind Me' and `Too Bad,' and thus leave the other eight tracks for the dogs. That's ludicrous, considering that these two tracks aren't even SSU's most handsome numbers. The monster riffs of the `Never Again' and `Just For' tragedies both surpass the singles in quality and memorable-ness, at least in my opinion. The acoustic opening and the nostalgic, opera-like tales of the closing `Good Times Gone' make the track one of the best of Nickelback's rollercoaster career, a true deep-cut that will be found by diehard fans in the future. I admit that tracks six through nine sound a little too similar for total praise, but that doesn't mean that the music here drops in quality by any means. All four songs generously offer something a little different while still carrying a thematic presence, eliminating filler allegations. I only hope that Silver Side Up will eventually get the appreciation it deserves; This is Nickelback's best effort, little to no filler, more consistent than both The Long Road and All The Right Reasons, and Chad Kroeger's finest vocal performance. Maybe I'm a little misguided, but I enjoy this listen more than the likes of Enema Of The State, OK Computer, and even later Oasis (my favorite band!). My favorite from a strong '01 class (JEW, Morning View, Toxicity, Break The Cycle, Hoobastank, The Green Album).

‹ Previous | 1 2 345 | Next ›