4.0 out of 5 stars Improvement over original DVD but needs more extras (review for 2 DVD set)
A return to the classic western of yesterday, "Silverado" recalls the sprawling efforts of Sergio Leone and the old spaghetti westerns while recycling many of the motifs of the best efforts from Howard Hawks, Anthony Mann and John Ford. It's a pity that Kasdan hasn't rethought the film and added in additional footage. Perhaps the version we saw in theaters was the...
Published on March 29, 2005 by Wayne Klein

3.0 out of 5 stars Ego Heavy
Villain heavy and especially star heavy. Scott Glenn and Kevin Kline give standout performances. Some actors showboat and others are dull. The clothes, exteriors, and interiors are far too spotless, without any sign of wear, dust, or grime. Give me "High Noon", "Magnificent 7", "The Searchers", or "One Eyed Jacks" any day.
Published 17 months ago by mr. contrarian

‹ Previous | 1 2 341 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I sure love a western..., April 14, 2004
"iamsumaty" (brea, ca United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silverado (DVD)
Having grown up on 1950's Saturday afternoon matinees, I tend to judge movies on a feel good scale. Never mind if the director was politically correct or if the script was an homage to another era. A movie passed muster if it accomplished a few simple things: Did I wish there was more movie to watch as the end credits rolled? Did the movie pass the Suspension of Disbelief test? Did I cheer the hero and boo the villain? Did I leave the theatre wishing I was one of the characters or that I lived in that time/place? Silverado achieved all that and more.
So what if the story was formulaic? Who cares that in the real west there weren't any quick draw gunfighters who wore their guns slung low? And we won't quibble about the violence or language being whitewashed to qualify for a PG-13. The movie was entertaining and believable. It was easy to determine who the good guys were (even if they wore a black hat). And the ensemble cast made each character memorable. Kevin Costner's unaffected portrayal of Jake ("All I did was kiss a girl") and the great Joe Seneca as Ezra Johnson are two standouts. The scenery and music were spectacular and the sets and costumes made me wish I could sit propped up against a jailhouse wall dressed like Sheriff Cobb. Or back out of a saloon and get two bad guys at one time.
I've been waiting patiently for the sequel. Or maybe Jake was just foolin' about when he turned on his horse and yelled, "We'll be back!"

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Action Western, December 12, 2005
Mark Wylie (Spokane, WA United States) - See all my reviews
When "Silverado" came out 20 years ago, I recall quite a bit being made of the "revival of the Western" that it, and "Pale Rider," released at about the same time, supposedly entailed. Needless to say, that revival came neither in 1985, nor with the somewhat larger outpouring of Westerns in the early 1990's ("Unforgiven," "Dances with Wolves," etc.). In large part, the failure of the "western revival" is because none of these films, with the partial exception of "Unforgiven," found anything really new to say in the genre.

That isn't to say that "Silverado" is a bad film, or one not worth watching; to the contrary, I probably enjoy it as much as I enjoy any post-"Wild Bunch" Western. To enjoy it, you have to accept it for what it is, and that's a B-Western. A very large, color B-Western with some big names in the cast, and some very well-done action scenes, but still a B-Western. That means, first of all, that the plot is pretty basic: four men--all very proficient gunmen, of course--are thrown together early in the film by circumstances, and become friends. They then team up to free the town of Silverado from the domination of a ruthless cattleman and the crooked sheriff who takes his orders. There are nods here and there in the direction of more subtlety and complexity, but they are only nods. The one storyline which offered something rather unorthodox, involving Rosanna Arquette's widowed homesteader, was cut almost entirely from the final version of the film.

It's safe to say that in 1985, when "Silverado" came out, there weren't a lot of actors under about 50 who had much experience in Westerns; however, director Lawrence Kasdan succeeded in assembling a team of four strong leads. Scott Glenn took to the saddle like a natural--had he been born a generation earlier, he could, at the least, become a major Western star on the level of a Joel McCrea. He is superb as the tough gunfighter Emmett. As Jake, Emmett's younger brother, Kevin Costner gave a vigorous, zesty performance that will surprise anyone used to some of his more recent work. Danny Glover brought to the role of Mal much of the strength and solidity that he later showed in the "Lethal Weapon" series. Kevin Kline, as Paden, is the least successful of the leads--he isn't really a convincing six-gun artist--but he does provide some nice light moments in the intervals between the action.

Brian Dennehy, as the aforementioned crooked sheriff, Cobb, is solid in the main villainous role, and Jeff Fahey is effective as his nastiest deputy, Tyree (one detects a faint homage to John Ford in the character's name). Ray Baker, as the cattleman McKendrick, has relatively little screen time. Many of the other supporting players seem oddly cast--John Cleese as the sheriff of a neighboring town, Jeff Goldblum as a gambler, Linda Hunt as a saloonkeeper--but they all work out more or less adequately. Rosanna Arquette's part, as noted, largely disappeared during editing, no doubt leaving viewers puzzled that she is billed third.

Action scenes in a Western mean some mixture of gunfights and galloping horses, and "Silverado" has both in abundance. While none of these scenes are exceptionally original, they are generally well-executed. There is enough action that, even at a length of well over 2 hours, the pace never really lags long enough for viewers to notice. Bruce Broughton's score provides nice accompaniment for all the goings-on.

The 2-disc DVD set contains some nice extras, chief among them being two featurettes, a "making-of" which centers on comments from Lawrence Kasdan (quite good), and a retrospective featuring Kevin Costner (OK, a bit chatty). Be warned, however, of a bit of slightly dishonest labelling regarding another extra--the "History of Western Shootouts, narrated by John Cleese" should really have been called "a promotional video for some mediocre Columbia Westerns, narrated by John Cleese."

If you like Westerns, and can accept "Silverado" for what it is, this DVD is a very good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Western with Attitude, August 13, 2003
This review is from: Silverado (DVD)
I have mixed emotions about this western because it seems to combine just about all the elements of entertainment except Ethel Merman out in the street, singing "Silverado, It's a Helluva Town!" while Fosse-trained dangers prance around her. Several people die in this film. Others are brutally beaten. There is at least one victim of racial discrimination. And yet we encounter substantial humor which is sometimes hilarious. Sheriff Monty Python makes a brief appearance in the form of John Cleese. The acting is superb. The plot proceeds expeditiously to an inevitable confrontation. No loose ends. Director Lawrence Kasdan and his brother Mark co-authored an action-filled script which is uncommonly literate. John Bailey's cinematography is superb. No single performance stands out because all are outstanding. Great casting. Of special interest to me is Kevin Costner's portrayal of Jake, a happy-go-lucky gunslinger. I wish Costner had demonstrated comparable energy and enthusiasm in subsequent roles. Obviously, the Kasdans love westerns. Obviously, their cast and crew had a jolly time making this film. After seeing it again recently, however, I appreciated more than I had before the undertone of seriousness.
What to make of all this? Frankly, I encourage everyone to relax and enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a classic - but a great western, August 10, 2009
D. Keating (Bristow, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silverado (DVD)
Silverado came out back in the 1980s when I was in high school. I saw it then, and enjoyed it. I recently purchased the DVD, watched it again, and still enjoy it. Silverado contains a lot of classic Western elements - cowboys, gunfights, bad guys, saloon scenes, etc. But, it is a little different than many of the classic John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, and Clint Eastwood Westerns. The characters are diverse and quirky, and the dialogue is rather clever.

The cast is well chosen, and the plot is easy to follow, which leads to plenty of action scenes. My kids especially liked the character Jake (Kevin Costner) who acts kind of like a grown up kid. Kevin Kline's character is a somewhat off-key hero, but does the right thing in the end.

If you enjoy classic Westerns, you will most likely enjoy Silverado as well. It may not be as intense as others, but it will keep you entertained. In fact, it is one of the more underated modern Westerns, and worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top notch entertainment!!!, August 22, 2006
I would have to say this was the most reasonably priced gift set DVD I've ever bought. How come the special releases for other movies like Sin City and Pulp Fiction are over $30 or more, but this was $14.99? I bought it, and it wasn't even on sale.

The superbit presentation presented on an HD TV, with component video cables is the best DVD picture I have ever seen! I could not believe my eyes! I loved the visuals, the beautiful countryside filming, and the shootouts. All in all, a great presentation!

I worked in a movie theater at the time this movie was in theaters, and I must have seen it 10 times when in the theater. My mother came to see it, and I watched it with her on my off day from work. It's that good!

I love a good western, and this movie lived up to its reputation, very well!

Highly recommended!

MC White said: Yeee haw! This movie rocks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Blu-ray edition excellent, but disappointed with Kasdan, September 12, 2009
This review is from: Silverado [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I'll second pretty much everything the Sept. 3 '09 reviewer said about the BD transfer in his excellent review - except for the audio. Watching the BD version, I thought the TrueHD audio stood out even more than the upgrade in visual clarity. After reading his review, I went back and tried an A/B comparison - I played the BD version in my PS3 and the superbit DTS version in my upconverting DVD player, pausing one when playing the other through the same receiver. Both sounded fantastic, but to my subjective ears, the BD track was slightly better. The French horns sounded more like how French horns sound live. For the DTS version, I had to dial my subwoofer down a bit; maybe the DTS accentuation of the bass is what led the other reviewer to think the TrueHD version had a flatter feel. For the BD version, if it feels a bit flat, crank the bass up some.

My 4-star rating is for the movie itself. Although one of my favorite movies, the plot holes keep it from being the movie I would like it to be. Kasdan admits to the problem with Rosanna Arquette's storyline in the "making of" featurette, but there is also the unexplained motivation of the Jeff Goldblum character as well as some other minor issues. It gives the appearance that the editing was rushed. I was hoping for a Director's Cut with the BD version that would fill these gaps, but no luck; there is less in the BD package than there was in the superbit gift set. I am disappointed Kasdan didn't care enough for this movie to make it whole.

Best performances in the movie go to Brian Dennehy (perfect in his part), Linda Hunt (great facial expressions), and Kevin Costner (should have brought some of this character to later roles). The other three main characters were also very good, as was John Cleese in his small part.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rip-Roaring Western, February 26, 2008
Wuchak (Eastern USA) - See all my reviews
"Silverado" is a 1985 Western about two brothers (Scott Glenn & Kevin Costner) and two other gents (Kevin Kline & Danny Glover) who become friends and ultimately team-up to take on the corrupt sheriff of the New Mexican town Silverado.

The first time I tried to watch "Silverado" was in the mid-90s and something turned me off. I now know what that was: "Silverado" doesn't have the downbeat, ultra-realistic, amoral vibe of most post-50s Westerns. This is a rip-roaring Western in the truest sense of the word. There are a few moral ambiguities (e.g. Jeff Goldblum's character and Kline's conundrum in the story) but, for the most part, the heroes are heroes and the villains drip with evil.

My main problem was that certain situations or events struck me as a bit unrealistic, almost verging on Indiana Jones territory, which is easy to explain since writer/director Lawrence Kasdan also wrote "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Upon seeing it again recently I decided to accept the few implausible heroics to glean from (and enjoy) the meat of the picture, which is essentially a serious story running the gamut of the human condition (e.g. injustice, action, drama, comedy, etc.). I only bring this up so that viewers who insist on realism in their Westerns like, say, "Open Range" or "The Wild Bunch" will make the necessary mental adjustments before attempting to digest the film.

One aspect of "Silverado" I like, which most post-50s Westerns lack, is the palpable spirit of life, freedom and joy that the heroes (and their friends) possess. Despite the various evils they experience (which we can all relate to in one way or another) they maintain a certain joy of living, the jubilance of life and freedom itself. Hence, the film isn't a downer. It's somehow uplifting.

Stories like this need a good villain and Brian Dennehy more than fills the bill. In fact, he's horrifying as the corrupt sheriff of Silverado. Remember Dennehy as the sheriff in "First Blood"? This is essentially the same role multiplied by ten, as in ten-times WORSE.

The main hero is Kevin Kline. The only other film I've seen him in is "Grand Canyon." I liked him in that film and feel the same here. I don't know, he's just good at playing the perfect, likable everyman.

Scott Glenn is a quintessential Westerner and Kevin Costner plays his younger gung-ho brother. Costner is quite different here than in other Western roles like "Dances with Wolves," "Wyatt Earp" and "Open Range." In "Silverado" he's young and spunky, an expert and deadly gunslinger, but full of mirth at the same time.

Another item that turned me off when I first saw "Silverado" was that the story is convoluted. There are numerous characters and each has his/her own sub-story (think of Kasdan's "Grand Canyon"). Heck, we don't even see the town Silverado until a full 45 minutes into the film. But the good thing about a story like this is that it's not superficial; hence, it's worthy of numerous repeat viewings (because you're not likely gonna digest it all in just one or two viewings).

I enjoyed certain subplots like Kline's love for the midget saloon bartender (Linda Hunt), love in a son/mother manner, that is. As well as the love and loyalty of the four heroes; the fact that Glover is a black man is of no issue. Love in its purest sense is spiritual in nature and transcends blood, skin color or raw lust. You never know who you'll meet in life and form a strong love-bond with. It's amazing.

Unfortunately some subplots obviously got left on the cutting room floor. For instance, Rosanna Arquette and Jeff Goldblum.

So why not 5/5 stars? I didn't find the story ultra-captivating like, say, Kasdan's "Grand Canyon." I had to struggle a bit to keep attentive here and there. Other than that "Silverado" has everything you'd ever want in a Western (in fact, maybe overkill): gunfights, fast-draw showdowns, smoke-filled saloons, saloon girls, homesteaders, wagon trains, outlaws, posses, jailbreaks, stampedes, box canyons, glorious Western locations, and more.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favorite's, November 24, 2004
KRASSEL (SPANAWAY, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I've had this movie for about 5 years and can't remember how many times I've watched it. The cast is superlative..everyone of them is completely believable. The sets are outstanding and the vista's are really worth staring at. This is one of Kevin Costner's best performance's, right up there with Dances with Wolves. Danny Glover, who is one of my favorite actors, gives a fine performance. Scott Glenn, Kevin Kline, Linda Hunt, and Brian Dennehy all turned in outstanding performance's. I think the casting director should have gotten an oscar for putting this cast together.

Highly recommend this film...even if you arn't a fan of westerns this one will entertain you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to the classic Western, with a little fun thrown-in, April 11, 2010
This review is from: Silverado [VHS] (VHS Tape)
It's the good-guys against the bad-guys and all odds once again, with a little fun poked at it's self. This movie deserved a sequel, but didn't get it. I wouldn't think of John Cleese(Monty Python) as a sheriff, but he did more than a good job of acting. Also, Kevin Kline is outstanding as "Paden". A very young Kevin Costner shows his talent too. Grab the bowl of pop-corn, a big soda, some candy and relax and be entertained, as entertainment is what this movie is about. There's enough to the charactors that they aren't cardboard cut-outs, but it's not a deep "why do they do what they do?" film either. Plenty of action, but some side-ways comedy thrown in.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Exciting Western, With A Great Cast, January 31, 2007
This review is from: Silverado (DVD)
This was a great Western. Very creative and adventerous, and a wonderful cast. Where else would you see a Monty Python alum as a sheriff in a Western?

This movie featured three of my favorite actors: Scott Glenn, Brian Dennehy, and Jeff Goldblum. It also featured one of my favorite actresses, Rosanna Arquette, though she had such a small role even the worst actress couldn't mess that role up. Kevin Costner had a youthful exhuberance that I hadn't seen since from him. And I'm just mentioning my favorites.

I'll stop before I spoil any surprises. If you want a classic western, this is one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 341 | Next ›

Silverado
Silverado by Kevin Kline (DVD - 2009)
$14.99 $9.95
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.