5.0 out of 5 stars Dishmaster Soap Dispensing Faucet

Published on November 8, 2008 by Jaw

3.0 out of 5 stars i wish it worked right, update at the end, November 8, 2008
Jaw (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dishmaster Faucet with Spray (Misc.)
Ever since i was a kid in the 60s, my parents had a Dishmaster, it was the earlier model than this one. This one is more streamlined looking. Theirs had two handles, hot and cold. Anyway, i didn't love washing dishes, but this was a relatively easy way to do it, just push the button and soap comes out, let go of the button and just water with no soap comes out, and you can rinse the soap off. My parents had two of these over the years. That's how long they lasted and how well they held up. There was never any problem with them, they simply worked. When i left my parents' home and lived various other places, i never had a Dishmaster, and always thought i would like to have one again. Then, a year ago, i took over my mom's house. Her old Dishmaster was having a problem and wasn't working. I had a plumber come out. He said it was shot. I arranged to buy a new one and have the plumber come back and install it. So, i bought the new model, the one with just one handle for hot and cold. The plumber came out and installed it, adding another $100 to the $150 I had paid for the Dishmaster. That was OK with me.

Unfortunately, the Dishmaster has never worked right, from the beginning. One problem has been that, when you pull up the knob that changes the water flow from the faucet to the Dishmaster wand, instead of just gently pulling up and easily making the switch, you have to pull really hard with all your might, and still, lots of times, it won't work, the water just keeps coming out of the faucet and won't switch over to the wand. I called the company and they suggested i put some vegetable oil where the knob is. That didn't work so i called them back. they were familiar with the problem. So then they sent me a replacement part to fix it with. The trouble with that is, i would have to pay a plumber another $100 to do the repair, because i'm not handy with these things. I was afraid i wouldn't be able to get it back together and then i'd have no water at all in the kitchen and would have to have a plumber anyway. I had a handyman come to do several things and i showed him the dishmaster and the spare part. He seemed not very eager to do the job, and i didn't insist.

In calling around to plumbers when i first got the Dishmaster, for someone to install it, i found that there weren't any plumbers who were familiar with it, and i'm in a large metropolitan area, Los Angeles. Each plumber i called said they would install the Dishmaster, after i explained to them what it was because they didn't know, but they tried to urge me to have a conventional faucet installed instead. I finally found one who would install it, despite being unfamiliar with it, and i have no way of knowing whether he did it correctly. Maybe it doesn't work because it was not installed properly. I have no way of knowing.

So, i have the new part but i don't want to spend another $100 on a plumber to fix a brand new dishmaster that never has worked right from day one. I like it, once i get the water to come out of the wand, then i'm able to use the soap coming through the wand, which is why i wanted it in the first place, but it's very hard to get the water to come through the wand. I can't have a dish in my hand. I have to use two hands. My parents' dishmasters were never like that. you could be holding a dish and just reach over and easily pull up the knob to get the water to come through the wand.

Then, there is the second problem that i'm very unhappy with. Not very much soap comes out when i push the button, not like how my parents' Dishmasters worked. And, when i release the button to get clear water to rinse with, no matter how long i rinse, there's still soap in my pans and dishes. At first, i thought it was just hard to get the soap off. Eventually i figured out that there's something the matter with the Dishmaster button or some other part of it so that you can't completely close off the soap and your rinse water will always have soap in it.

On the Dishmaster website, i discovered that the company is familiar with this problem too. they discuss it in their Troubleshooting section. They tell you how to try to fix it and if that doesn't work, they will send you replacement parts with instructions on how to install the parts. I called and said i had had the Dishmaster less than a year and it had never worked right; the switch to turn on the water is very hard to pull up on and to get it to stay up, and it has never rinsed properly, soap comes out in the rinse water. They offered to send me the part. I said i do not know how to do plumbing, i don't have tools. They said they would walk me through it, if i would just get a certain kind of wrench, if i felt comfortable trying it. I said i was afraid i wouldn't be able to get it back together and then i'd have no water at all. They agreed that they could not guarantee i'd be able to get it back together and that not everyone has a knack for this. They sympathized that i would have to pay a plumber to do it. But i would like a working Dishmaster so much that i would pay and be done with it and be happy to have it working right like my parents' ones always worked. But when i asked them to refer me to someone in my area who knows how to work with them, they said they didn't know anyone. They said they were trying to solicit a list from their customers and that if i found a plumber who could work with them, i should post it on their website for the benefit of other customers. In other words, i'm not alone in not being able to easily find a plumber who can work with these products.

I expected them to offer to replace my Dishmaster since it had never worked since it was brand new and they acknowledged that they were aware of the two problems i had with it. But they didn't offer to replace it. They only offered to send me spare parts and sympathized that i wasn't able to find a plumber who could fix it. When i asked why my parents' Dishmasters never had any problems while my new one never worked right, they said that sometimes the Dishmasters sit on the shelf a long time with retailers, and by the time they are sold, the parts are rotting or going bad, or have gotten too old.

Not very satisfying. I'm not impressed with the company. I loved the Dishmasters my parents had, and i thought i was going to pay my money and pay the plumber and then have a worthwhile product, but it's been just over a year now and i have no idea how to get it working right. But i will still say that it's a great idea and the ones that worked were very nice to have, and i would still pay more to have one that worked. I'm just unhappy because i paid good money for it, it doesn't work, and the company just shrugs their shoulders and as much as implies that this is something a customer has to accept, the luck of the draw.

11/29/08 I finally decided to get a new Dishmaster and replace the malfunctioning one i got a year ago. Instead of this new model with the single handle, i got the older style, like my parents had. The main reason i made this switch is that although i prefer the single handle, there is an aspect of the design of the newer model (the 2000) that is less easy to use compared to the older model. The older model has a tank that is placed either on the wall or on the deck of the sink, depending on where the hook ups are from the pipes. Mine is on the deck. On the front of the tank there are the hot and cold handles. The wand lays on top of the tank when not in use. Inside the tank, you put a little dish detergent and fill it with water. You use the wand to direct the water into the tank. That soapy water is what you use to wash the dishes, when you press the red button on the wand. When you release the button, the tank is bypassed and you get clear water that you can rinse with. After a while, several days at least, the water in the tank gets low and you need to take the cover off the opening to the tank, put a little more dish washing detergent in and fill it with water again. Very simple to do when you're in the middle of washing dishes. On the newer model, this 2000, the tank is not mounted on the sink but rather in the under the sink cabinet below. It has a screw on lid. When the water gets low, you have to turn off the unit, get down under the sink, detach the hose that connects the tank with the sink unit, unscrew the lid on the tank, and bring the tank up to the sink, put detergent in the tank, fill it with water, get back down under the sink, screw the lid back on, which attaches the hose, and then you can go back to washing the dishes. This design, with the tank under the sink is much sleeker looking, which i like, but after being accustomed to the older model most of my life and used to the very quick simple refilling of the tank of the older model, i found the extra effort involved in filling the tank on the new model annoying, in combination with the two other problems i had with that unit. On the old unit, you don't have to get under the sink, you don't have to put down the wand retrieve an external tank. You just lift a little cover on the unit and put in the soap and water, it's much smoother and simpler.

So, when i decided to replace my bum unit, I decided to get the older design, i think the model is M76. I found a company that was willing to install it, the company is called Mr Handyman. It was rather expensive. But when the guy got done installing it, it worked perfectly just like the ones my parents used to have. I hate to think of how i suffered the strain and frustration of the one i got a year ago, model 2000. With the new one that i just got, as it's supposed to, the knob pulls up stays up with a gentle pull, and soap comes flowing out of the wand when the red button is pushed. Release the button and fresh clear water comes out, no soap left on the dishes. So i'm very happy with my new working model M76 Dishmaster. The "old" model 2000 that i got new a year ago is now in a bag in the garage.

I will gladly give 5 stars to the Dishmaster if it works. I hope i will be 3 for 4. If i have any problems with this one, i will update the review. I got this one at OSH for $159, i used a Visa card. If it stops working, i will do a charge back on the credit card.

The company's warranty clearly states that if anything goes wrong, they will send you replacement parts. There is no mention in their warranty of repairing or replacing your bad unit, even if it's brand new. FYI

and this is a testimony of how much i like these things, that i would replace it despite being effectively ripped off for the $160 i had paid for it, plus $100 for installation

1/24/09 The new Dishmaster works better than the old Dishmaster, which makes me happy. It does have the two problems the other one had, but way less. Occasionally, i'll pull up on the knob to change from regular faucet to the handheld faucet and it won't work, it falls back down and doesn't change the water output to the handheld. I can pull with all my might but no success. When it happens, and this was true on the previous one i had which had to be junked, i will be holding a pot in my right hand and pulling up on the knob with my left hand. but, if i put the pot down and pull up with my right hand, it works. I don't know why it doesn't work with the left hand, maybe the angle, but i try and try, using different angles and lots of strength and force, it shouldn't be at all hard to pull it up. My parents' dishmasters were never hard. But this only happens once in a while, maybe once or twice a week, and only once, not repeatedly. The one i junked was always hard. Sometimes it worked, but there was no control over it.

The other problem, the soap in the rinse water, is very slight with the new one. The previous one, the water was always soapy, it would not rinse, though it was less soapy than if you were releasing soap using the soap button. The new one has very slight soap in the rinse water, not very noticeable, and i wonder if my parents' units had this much soap--i wouldn't have noticed if i hadn't had the one that had a lot of soap, so i am looking for it. But it's not soapless rinse water like the water coming out of the faucet.

bottom line--i'm still glad i have it and would probably replace it again if it stopped working. It makes dishwashing easier than without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dishmaster Soap Dispensing Faucet, April 15, 2008
This review is from: Dishmaster Faucet with Spray (Misc.)
Excellent product!! No more separate messy soap wands - this thing has the wand built-in with a soap reservoir under the sink and with the press of a button, you have sudsy water coming right out of the wash water in the wand. Let go of the button and it's clean clear rinse water. Pretty slick little kitchen accessory. It was delivered on time and was a snap to install - you don't need a plumber to do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than any "Store Bought" Faucet, December 21, 2010
This review is from: Dishmaster Faucet with Spray (Misc.)
We have a house with 2 adults and 3 children. Most times it's a house of 9 or 10 people, with family and friends. Many times you scrub a dish or cup with the m2000 Dishmaster, set it on a towel, and let it dry. The M2000 Dishmaster doesn't look like one of the fancy faucets at Lowes or Home Depot. It doesn't have the little spray thingys that come out of the faucet head. What is that for anyway, rinsing lettuce or something, because it certainly doesn't clean a dish. The dishmaster has a jet of water or soapy water jetting out from the middle of the brush. Turn your water on full blast and scrub a dish and water does not spray outside the sink. Try that with one of those fancy lettuce sprayers The dishmaster is the most functional faucet I have ever used. We just moved to a new house, leaving our M2000 behind. :( The last one was installed for 10 years. Had to replace the hose once. It had worn through where it rubs when it is extended for washing dishes. Of course you will wear down the black brush. About one per year, or every other year. Never really use the orange pots and pans brush. Probably should have. The black brushes do a great job. It will wash the dried milk from the bottom of the glass in about 3 seconds. Like another poster, I have had one my whole life. Grew up with the old m67 but had to convince my wife to try Dishmaster by getting the cooler looking M2000. She was stubborn and wouldn't use it for about 2 months. She's the one that told me to go buy another one for the new house, NOW. Dishes are sitting in the sink, because nobody want's to hand wash, and we just can't put a dirty, egg encrusted plate in the dishwasher without rinsing it first. Feel bad for the person who had troubles with theirs, but everyone in my family has one, with no problems. The tank of soapy water under the sink is kind of a pain, but you only fill it about once a month or so. I don't use any special detergent. Just some regular dish soap, about 1/5 of the jug, and fill the rest with water, using the wand to mix it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had One --- Just Bought a Replacement, January 19, 2014
Al Price "Socalal" (Caliente, (nearLake Isabella,) CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dishmaster Faucet with Spray (Misc.)
Our ranch house was built in 1981, and an "Island Style Dishmaster M-76" faucet was installed in the kitchen. It lasted 32 years before it had to be replaced! When the plumber / handyman came out to install it, he had second thoughts. Not much room to work under our sink. After removing the cover on the old one, we found out that we didn't have to get under the sink after all! The "new" M-76 Imperial Four is EXACTLY the same today as it was 32 years ago. We just had to disconnect the old one at the top of the sink and insert the new one in the same place --- just unscrew the old hot and cold water connectors and screw in the new ones!

If you are installing the M-76 Imperial Four in an "Island" type sink, YOU'LL HAVE TO SPEND ANOTHER $50 FOR A BACK PLATE FOR THE FAUCET HOUSING! Fortunately for us, like I said, they are identical (the old one and the new one), so I just pulled the back plate off the old one, grabbed some professional silver polish, and there it is --- can't tell it's a 32 year old back plate! The handyman only charged me $50 instead of the $150 that he would have charged if he had to totally disassemble everything and try to work under the sink!(Note: The Model shown along with this review is the newer 2000 model with one handle --- ours is the older model M-76 with separate hot and cold handles!)

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll Never Go Back, September 29, 2011
This review is from: Dishmaster Faucet with Spray (Misc.)
My mom used hers for 20 years then gave it to me. I used it for another 15 years. I'm remodeling my kitchen and the ONLY item I had to have was a new Dishmaster!! Wash dishes without wearing gloves because your hands never have to get wet... My contractor was impressed with the quality. A must have for every dishwasher out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great., December 8, 2009
This review is from: Dishmaster Faucet with Spray (Misc.)
I had the smaller model for over 18 years only used washers and brushes. this model fit right in and worked easily. I am kind of a gadjet nut so it fits right in with the way I like to do things. If this is as good as the smaller model I should not have to get another.

Dishmaster Faucet with Spray