4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, not for hardcore SimCity players
Published on February 21, 2010 by Francisco J. Rivera

3.0 out of 5 stars Many steps beyond the SNES Sim City, but not without flaws.
Published on January 10, 2010 by shaxper

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game, not for hardcore SimCity players, February 21, 2010
This review is from: SimCity Creator - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This is a really good game. I've been a fan of the early versions of SimCity for a long time. I first played it for SNES. I never graduated beyond that game because I found SimCity 2000 and subsequent versions too hard. Maybe I suck at running a city. I just could never get people into town, buildings would stand up and then go to ruins, etc. I couldn't generate revenue and so I couldn't build and lost interest.

Sim City Creator has a game mode where there is no ral objective other than to build the city at your leasure. No missions, no objectives, other than your own. It's the free mode, and there is an option for you to start with $1 million...more than you'll ever need to get a good city started. If you want the easier gameplay of the original SimCity, but with much better graphics and neat things, this game is for you. I play this game in Free mode as I've never been one for doing missions. I want to build what I want at my pace. So I'm doing this write-up from that point of view. Here is my list of Pro's anc Con's.

Pro's:

Graphics - The graphics are nice. Not blow you away great, but nice. 3-d buildings and cars that look pretty real, for a Wii console. Look up a screen shot of SimCity SNES or SimCity 2000 and compare. You'll see why I like them. This is what I'm comparing it too.

Sounds - When you zoom in, you hear the city sounds. Cars, industries buzzing. It's neat.

Building variances- I like this alot. Again, coming from versions where each zone had 4 types of buildings (Low, medium, upper, high) and all of each type looked the same (I.E. all the high's looked the same) SimCity Creator lets you target those types in three categories: low, medium and high density. The buildings within each category can come out very different, so it gives a realitistc natural feel to the city, and not a cookie cutter one. You can build suburbs and single family homes by placing an area of low density residential a distance from major highways and commercial centers. If you place it closer, they'll turn into duplexes and smaller apartments. It's neat.

Menus - The menues are good. Set-up in an easy to use way. Click around them for a bit and before you know it you'll know them.

Creativity- Lot's of creativity allowed. In the past you had just roads. Then Roads or high ways. Now you have small neighborhood type streets, bigger roads, freeways, etc. You can various recreational places, rather than have them awarded to you like in SimCity SNES. You have parks, gardens, baseball fields, etc. The increase landvalueand make the area nicer, keep people happy which in turn attracts new sims. Build a certain ammount of them and you'll unlock bigger parks and sports fields.

Cons:

Controls - I'm not gonna kill the controls as much as others here have. They aren't THAT bad. But then again, I'm 26 and have been playing video games and first person shooters alot. So what that means is I can aim a cross-hair pretty steady when trying to shoot. The cursor for this game on the Wii is just like that. It's like a wireless mouse. How steady you hold the Wii controller will make the difference of how steady the screen is for you. I can control it rather well because I'm steady and I can aim. It doesn't give me much problems. YOU CAN FREEZE THE FRAME AS WELL. For those saying you can't, or hate it when you want to put the control down and the screen veers off because you're moving the sensor. If you press up on the directional pad until the blue cursor dissapears, it locks the screen. So you can put the control down and relax your wrists/arms. You can't however lock the screen and build. It would have been nice to have that option. So overall, out of 5, I give the controls a 3.

Game Time - When you are going through menus and building things, time freezes. I hate, hate, hate this. This is my one big beef with the game. When you're done building or have built a lot of things, because of the constant going into menus and and what not, you'll be lucky if 2-3 years pass. I finished building everything and had my entire map built up in under 10 years. New York didn't get to what it is in ten years. Time should keep on moving. Also, newer technologies for power plants are only available for later years. So you have to play a long time with coal or Oil power plants until time or education levels allow you to upgrade. If time had gone on while building, you can upgrade sooner. In addition to game time stopping...

Year you start - SimCity SNES started you off in 1900 with all kinds of power plants. Not realistic, but the nuke power plants give no pollution and power more zones. Made the game easier. SimCity 2000 assigned the various technological advances in power plants to their respective decade, but they let you pick the decade you started in. If you wanted nuclear or solar power plants at your disposal, you can start you city in the year 2000 or 2050. This game starts you in 1900 with no options. Piggy Back on what I wrote above, you have to deal with high pollution and old oil/coal power plants for a while. It's more real, yeah. But I'd like the option to start in later years if I want to build the better plants.

Overall: Most of the things about this game I like. My complaints listed in general are minor, with one major beef with the whole time keeping thing. The Controls aren't so difficult to handle that they took away from the fun of the game. Call me boring but I get a big kick out of watching 3d renderings of a city build up that I desgined and I was able to do it easy enough so the controls weren't all that bad. I highly reccommend the turorial that is in the game. Take 10 minutes practicing the controls and you'll pick them right up.

This is fun game, if you're not looking for hugely complicated city management issues and just would like to see a city you build spring up. If you do want a little more challange, you can do the mission mode of the game where you build a city with benchmarks, I.E. you have to do certain things to advance in the missions and city growth (Like make business deals with neighboring cities, etc.)

I wouldn't reccommend this for younger kids. Unless they are nerds, they aren't going to have the patience or know how to build a city and won't appreciate what they've done when they do. It's very much a game that is fun in the feat, not by graphics or role playing, etc. Most kids that would like this kind of game I'd say are over 10, 11 years old.

I started the game last night, in free mode, and in the Cheat money category that starts you off with $1 million. When I was done building everything, I ran my account down to about $50k. I pressed play on the game clock and let the game run. People came, My city grew, revenue started coming in. One day later, I have 470,000 Sims, my residentail taxes down to 1%, Commercial and Industrial at 2%, and my account is over $2 million. This is a guy that never played beyond SimCity SNES because SimCity 2000 and beyond were too hard for me. What's my point? This game is a cinch to play, and thus enjoy. Now that it's built, I manage disasters, re-arrange zones when new things become available like museums, etc. Good times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just like on the computer, September 29, 2008
Jenny (OAK PARK, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SimCity Creator - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I haven't played Sim City in years, but this version on the Wii is not that different. The menus are the same. Zooming in and out on the large tv makes for some interesting scenes. The flights over the city are kind of lame. It also takes a while to get use to using the wii remote to scroll through the city - less control than with a mouse. Still hours of fun watching your city grow and then destroying it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun, September 29, 2008
This review is from: SimCity Creator - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
This game is a little hard to learn at the beginning but after you learn all the controls it is so much fun! It took me probably about 2 - 3 hours over about 5 days just playing here and there to master the controls. It will be easier for anyone who has played a lot of the Sim games but it had been a few years for me.

The thing that really makes the game for me is the area assistants who will build for you while you can focus on other things and on details of the budget. They are an invaluable resource that really make the game more fun.

This is a very fun game once you get into it!.

3.0 out of 5 stars Many steps beyond the SNES Sim City, but not without flaws., January 10, 2010
shaxper (Lakewood, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SimCity Creator - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
Sim City Creator is a fun game if you're approaching it from the right background. Fans of the Sim City PC series have no reason to bother with this game, but, for the rest of us, there's a lot worth checking out here. The last time I really got into Sim City was when it was released on the Super Nintendo console way back in the day. Sim City has come a long way since then, though there are new flaws in the game design as well.

The PROS
- Impressive selection of buildings and utility systems that makes this game far more elaborate than the old SNES version. I still can't believe you can put in subways now!
- More elaborate adviser and data collection systems to better understand and run your city.
- Choose your own map dimensions on a pre-established continent instead of being assigned random maps.
- Decent graphics and zoom in/out options. I really enjoy the look of my city's lights at night, as well as seeing cars actually zoom by on the streets.
- "Hero structures" add a new level of strategy to your city and give you greater control over its architectural style.

The CONS
- Controls are very glitchy. Far too much depends upon precise movement of the wii remote, but the game's responses are clumsy. You get used to it after a while, but it is a bit frustrating. One of the greatest things about the SNES Sim City was its ease of use. The controls were simple, and there were hot buttons to help you move around even faster. There is only one way to move the cursor or scroll in this version, and you cannot override these control settings nor use a Classic Controller in the Wiimote's place. Moving across a large map will take a while.
- Bulldozing has become entirely too complex. There are different types of bulldozing for roads, zones, structures, and even trees. That plus an underdeveloped "undo" option and glitchy controls results in players spending far too much time correcting errors.
- Load time can be excessive, especially when checking in on your advisers.
- Visuals are certainly an improvement over the SNES version, but they are nothing to write home about for a seventh (or even sixth) generation console. This is particularly disappointing when you use the ability to fly over your city in a plane. The city really doesn't look any different when you do this.

All in all, if you love Sim City but have no intention of playing it on a PC, you will enjoy Sim City Creator, even in spite of its flaws. However, Sim City 4 and Sim City Creator for the DS are probably both better designed products. EA really needs to take this one back to the drawing board and give us a "New Sim City" that raises the bar and takes full advantage of a console the way its Super Nintendo predecessor once did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, open-ended game!, September 30, 2008
This review is from: SimCity Creator - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I'm enjoying this game so far, because of its open-endedness. You can create unique cities, and lay them out in an almost infinite way.

The reviewer who slammed the controls clearly failed to actually spend time LEARNING them; I mean, do you want every game to spoon-feed you oversimplification? Please.

Anyway, if you enjoy creative and strategic games, with longevity, I recommend this game. Go through the tutorials and you should have no problems designing, maintaining (and destroying!) your cities...

5.0 out of 5 stars Jills SimCity, September 5, 2009
Jill L. Kaiser (Lahaina, Hawaii United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SimCity Creator - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I bought this game for my 14 year old son and 9 year old daughter. According to my son, "It's fun and creative and no end to what you can do". According to my daughter, "It's hard".

1.0 out of 5 stars I would give this no stars, if that was possible!, March 20, 2009
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: SimCity Creator - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
HORRIBLE. After playing several sim games over the last few years, I got hooked on the sim city for the iphone game. When I found this for the Wii I thought it would be fun to play on the big screen and ran out to get it. Bad move. The Wii control makes this game frustrating, at best, nauseating at worst and there is no way to "freeze" the map of the city. Every little move of the hand causes the map to careen out of view. Wish I had just bought the PC version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, December 29, 2008
This review is from: SimCity Creator - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
My wife and I bought a Wii for our son for Christmas 2007. I have been looking for a few games that adults could enjoy, so I thought I would give this a try.

I have played the original SimCity and SimCity 2000 in the past, so I did have an idea of what to expect. This game follows in the tradition of those older games with a few adjustments and additional options. So far I have had a lot of fun with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Game, January 23, 2010
This review is from: SimCity Creator - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
I love this game simply because it is neat to see buildings and houses grow. It takes a lot of time, but like I said when things are good and growing it is a lot of fun!

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good game, January 13, 2014
This review is from: SimCity Creator - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
It was a fun game to play. I liked it and will play it a lot. Good buy for the money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa9e14c9c)

SimCity Creator - Nintendo Wii
SimCity Creator - Nintendo Wii by Electronic Arts (Nintendo Wii)
$39.68