Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sima SSW 4 Speaker Selector (4 Speaker Pairs)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on January 30, 2005
This simple, straight forward, and affordable little device works exactly as advertised. If you're a total audiophile and into having all the super high equipment then I'm not sure if this is what you want, but for the rest of us that just want something that works it's great. It has a couple of nice little touches... The rubber feet it rests on are very grippy so (despite its light weight) it doesn't slide backwards when you push the buttons on the front. It also comes with a bunch of little pre-printed stickers to label the buttons "Kitchen", "Living Room", etc.
on November 6, 2007
To be honest, I did not purchase this product with high expectations. I simply needed an inexpensive way to supply music to various rooms in my house... The garage, basement, and kitchen.

First the good: It's cheap and easy to use. The audio signal it sends to the speakers is decent and better than your average clock-radio. In fact, it is probably more than adequate for non-critical listening.

The bad: The unit definitely degrades the audio signal. I currently have it connected to four different speakers brands and all of them reflect the same shortcoming, a loss of mid-to-upper range definition and a tendency to give the music a vague hollow sound. The better the speaker, the more this will be apparent.

For less than $40 you really can't expect anything better. There is no way I would recommend this unit for a true audiophile. For someone simply wants an inexpensive way to add music to other parts of the house, it's a cheap way to go.
11 comment|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2006
I was seriously considering purchasing the Monster brand equivilent to this product, but didn't want to pay the $100. I've had this for a couple of weeks, and haven't been disappointed! I have speakers in my media room, living room, game room and porch...and my 100 watt Yamaha receiver drives all of them with the help of the little SSW 4 (we had the speaker wire installed when we were building the house...thank GOD)! I have it hooked up to the "B Speaker" on the receiver, so I can keep the "A Speaker" for my 6.1 media room system (although I can switch on the A & B at the same time with no issue). I'm an organized neat-freak, so the labels included with the SSW 4 REALLY help. Takes up little space, and does the job well (safely). Thanks for the deal, Amazon!
on January 9, 2007
The selector I received added noise to the speakers that wasn't there when the speakers were connected direct to the receiver. Also, one of the selectors (buttons) was broken when I received it. I ended up returning this item.
on April 8, 2008
This is a 4.5 star review, by the way.

It just got here, and I've spent a part of the day testing it. Looks-wise...well, it's cheap. Not horrible, just kinda plasticky. Hookup is a brainless event, and the spring loaded connectors - while cheap-ish, work well.

I noted no degradation in audio performance - I connected, disconnnected and compared, reconnected, played loud, played quiet - no static, hiss, hum, or issues. Note - I am feeding 2 pair of Boston Acoustic 6" ceiling mounted speakers (kitchen, dining) and a pair of Polk 5 1/2" 2 way outdoor speakers from this box. I cannot give an audio purists view into this thing...but I suspect purists aren't going to bother anyway.

In the end I'd like it better if it was nicer, but it's not visible in my installation anyway, so it's half a star off.
on April 5, 2010
I think this thing is a real piece of junk, it's been a while since I bought it(i didn't hook it up right away)but I may try to return it. It's looks pretty cheap, you can't clearly tell if you selected a speaker or not by the internal red marks in window, like solid or blank, they don't really move that much. And now after just a few weeks the button selector is starting to not even change (on or off) when I push it.
Other relieves of this product were good, so I took a chance on it. But I would recommend against it now.
on July 20, 2009
I purchased this unit in order to be able to add a set of outdoor speakers to the home stereo system. The unit works just as advertised, has a solid feel to it, but my outside speakers are much quieter than those in the house. This makes it just plain anoying. It's either too loud in the house or too quiet outside. Going to return it and buy one with independant volume controls.
on November 14, 2010
I purchased this item 12/12/2009 and just used outputs 1 & 2. Today, 11/14/2010, I hooked up a output 3. It has a crossover to output 1 so the sound I put to my garage also goes to 1 speaker on my patio. I don't want that, especially at night. Also, the buttons have a pale orange reflector instead of lights when active. They are hard to see without getting real close.
on April 6, 2011
This is such a simple solution for adding speaker pairs I should have done it years ago.

Pros:
It doesn't affect sound quality (as far as I can tell).
It's relatively small in size.
It's incredibly easy to set-up and use (just plug in the speaker wire and you're done!).
It comes with TONS of stickers for labeling your buttons, 3 pages i think!
It's simple. There's not much here that can go wrong.

Cons:
Through a glass port you can see orange to indicate that those speakers have been selected. The port is small and difficult to see but the button is pressed in further than the non-selected speakers so you can tell easily that way.
No volume control for the speakers. Common, it's less than $50 bucks, what do you expect?!

Bottom Line:
A great product at a great price that satisfies the desire to have a whole home stereo without paying an arm and a leg. It's simple, do-it-yourself, and worth every penny.
on November 8, 2007
I was looking for a low cost option to link speakers located in an outdoor sitting area to the main home theatre/music system. This is ideal, the product is simple to use, does not require any any power and does the job. The sound quality is good.

See 1 answered question