5.0 out of 5 stars A great bottle, especially for fomula feeding.
Published on February 18, 2012 by Stephanie Frederic

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT PUT IN DISHWASHER, DROP, OR BOIL THESE BOTTLES
Do not buy these bottles. They are not made for normal wear and tear. The cap does not stay on at all making it unstable for travel. It leaks, it leaks, it leaks..... Period.

The only great thing about these bottles is the easy go lid that stores formula for a quick outing or longer ones, unfortunately, I have 8 caps and 1 properly functioning bottle...
Published 14 months ago by Pierina Bevilacqua

5.0 out of 5 stars A great bottle, especially for fomula feeding., February 18, 2012
Stephanie Frederic (Baton Rouge, LA United States) - See all my reviews
I did a ton of research on bottles, and ended up almost more confused afterwards. Everyone likes a different bottle, and many of the reviews consist of whether their baby liked a particular bottle, which is not that helpful. Although I will detail my reasons below, overall I thought this was a really well-designed, easy to use bottle which manages to be anti-colic without a lot of parts (which either makes the bottle hard to clean or prone to leaks).

BTW I cannot speak to whether it is good for breastfeeding babies, since I do only formula. Since this was developed by Similac, it is very well designed for formula-feeding. So here's what I liked about this bottle:

1. Simple and easy to use. There are not a zillion parts, and yet it is anti-colic due to the vent in the nippple (similar to Tommee Tippee bottles). I'm not sure if this is the most effective anti-colic system on the market, but my baby is doing really well with it. Easy to clean in the dishwasher as well.

2. No more formula clumps. It has a mixer paddle which hangs into the bottle, and shaking the bottle causes the paddle to move back and forth to fully mix the formula. I remember the clumping problem from the Avent bottles in the past, and I love this feature. However, if you don't use formula or hate the extra piece (which sits easily in the bottle and dishwashers), it is easily removable as well

3. Cap that seals well but also removes easily. I tried the MAM bottles, and could barely get the caps off (a problem for anyone who has arthritis especially, such as a grandmother). I once handed one to my husband to remove the cap for me, and he immediately reached for the flat screwdriver.

4. Can buy additional caps which can hold powdered formula for travel/putting in the diaper bag. You fill the bottle with the desired number of ounces of water, screw on the nipple and ring, and then replace the usual cap with the special formula-containing cap (which you fill with the right number of scoops of formula). They are generously sized (unlike Tommee Tippee formula holders), so you can use them as the child gets older and needs more formula at a feeding. No more buying separate formula dispensers, and it keeps the formula attached to the bottle.

5. No leaks! If you have screwed the nipple ring on correctly, you'll see two blue triangles in the windows of the nipple ring. I had problems with the Avent bottles frequently when we'd screw on the nipple and ring, but accidentally have misaligned the grooves. You'd start to shake the bottle to mix it, and end up with milk all over you and the baby. I did have one or two times where it leaked when I shook the bottle, which I learned was due to an improperly seated nipple. I now check to make sure the nipple is seated properly when I pre-assemble the bottles, but this is easy to do.

The only thing I don't like is that the nipple is so soft, it doesn't seat as easily as firmer nipples do in the nipple ring. It's not quite as soft as Tommee Tippee (which I found impossible to place), and I got used to it very quickly. A lot of people praise the soft nipple for breastfeeding babies, though, so it may have advantages.

4.0 out of 5 stars The common sense of it..., February 15, 2013
A lot of people complain about the way these bottles leak, etc. This bottle only leaks if you are using it incorrectly. To prevent leaks, when feeding, have the vent valve facing up. Some babies suck, but other babies are creative and blow and suck, and add a little character to the way they feed. If your baby blows, even just a little, the pressure inside the bottle increases and the formula, a tiny amount, will escape through the vent valve. If the valve is facing up, there will be no formula there to escape through the valve. And with the leaking... formula doesn't last long, so you shouldn't be filling bottles and throwing them in your carry bag any way. You should mix it when ready to use, that's why they have that blue formula carry cap sold separately.

I've also noticed that my baby can get every last little bit of formula out while feeding, so whoever said it's hard for the baby to get all the formula because these bottles have a larger circumference is wrong. Sometimes people say crazy things when writing reviews and you got to know BS when you see it.

Another complaint is that these bottles crack. Well first of all, its not bullet proof okay? But I like the fact that its hard plastic as that decreases the chance of pressure change which can cause leaking if your not holding the bottle right. But the truth of it is hard plastic does tend to crack under intense rapid shock/pressure and/or rapid temperature/heat change. There is no reason to throw these bottles in the dishwasher. That's just lazy. Clean them using running water and set them out to dry. If you throw them in the dish washer, the constant rapid temperature changes could make the bottles very brittle. I dropped my bottle many times full of formula and it has not cracked.

I will agree that the paddle inside the bottle doesn't do as Similac claims. I find I have to shake that baby pretty good regardless of the wand being inside the bottle or not, makes no difference.

As for the marketing ploy of selling Level 1, Level 2, and Ycut nipples... that really shouldn't turn some people off. A level 1 nip can easily be poked with a hot small paper clip to widen the hole. If you need more flow, take a sharp pointed knife, squeeze the nipple flat, and barely prick into the hole to make your own x cut for quicker flow. It's so simple, and you dont really have to purchase the Level 2 and Ycut nips for quicker flow. The level 1's are good for water and a thin juice drink, but for formula, the level 1's are only good for small infants. When you get a healthy growing sucker, your gonna need to alter the nip.

These bottles get 4 stars from me.

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT PUT IN DISHWASHER, DROP, OR BOIL THESE BOTTLES, July 15, 2013

Stay away folks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely LOVE these, February 27, 2013
I've tried every bottle brand for my little princess that claimed to reduce gas nd colic, including dr Brown, Avent, and breast flow bottles and these are the ONLY ones that have come through! You can see AND feel the air bubbles leaving the bottles! I breastfeed and supplement so finding a bottle with breast like nipples that cut down her gas intake was my number one priority. Buy these AND tell a friend!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, March 27, 2014
Not worth it! I thought of buying it as it seemed good for mixing formula because of the stirrer it has in it.The bottle keeps on leaking.Leaking didn't seem a big issue until after a couple of uses. I always thought that I did not fit the nipple ring right way but even after a year of use or should I say correct use it still leaks. It is cheap quality definitely poorly made.I own many avent bottles they really hold up to their name.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Bottle, January 30, 2014
I purchased expensive Life Factory glass bottles because I wanted to be trendy. We've never used them. My baby much prefers these over any other bottles we've tried. She nursed for nine months and we needed bottles starting at 4 months when she started day care. I think she liked the feel of these, as it felt more like mommy. They are similar to the Tommy Tippy bottles, but I think they are better b/c it's easier to get the nipple in place. I will admit that a few have cracked ( but probably after the 100th time washing them in the hot dishwasher.) For the price, I couldn't be happier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have been using for 9 months now..., January 27, 2014
This review is from: Similac SimplySmart Bottle, 8 Ounce (Baby Product)
We have been using the same 2 sets for over 9 months now! Love them!!! Super easy to clean, never leak (you must align the arrows and secure nipple), never break. DD had a terrible time with Dr. Browns so we quickly switched. I had received a sample thank goodness or else I wouldn't have even known about these bottles. They are now very easy for my daughter to hold because there is a groove in the middle so her little hands can hold it. I highly recommend them.

1.0 out of 5 stars A really bad joke?, October 31, 2013
I can't find anything good to say about this bottle. I thought it had to be a joke. The bottles leak with a steady flow/drip...it is not subtle in any way, it simply pours right out when the bottle is sealed (I tried everything I could think of to reconfigure, even read the directions). Of every bottle I have tried (and with my last baby I had to try many brands because she didn't want to drink from a bottle), this one leaks the worst. I was almost embarrassed for Similac...being a formula "pro" you'd think they'd have produced something better. This bottle is completely NOT even functional.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst!!!!, August 24, 2013
I hate this bottle. I purchased this bottle at it's slightly expensive price at Wal mart. Basically, this bottle sucks. it has this overly complex top to it that leaks. I have spent way too much of my time trying to screw this capon...distracting me from my crying baby. I hate hate hate this bottle. leaks leaks leaks! DO NOT BUY!

5.0 out of 5 stars These Bottles Are Awesome!, February 26, 2013
My little guy had a lot of problems with gas, he was even diagnosed with having colic. Ever since I got him these bottles, we haven't had any problems at all. Love them!

Similac SimplySmart Bottle, 8 Ounce