1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bed set for the price!!!, September 20, 2012
This review is from: Simmons BeautySleep Crossgate Full Plush Mattress Set (Misc.)
My 3-year old son had one of these convertible cribs that go from crib to toddler bed to full size bed. He was growing out of the toddler bed, so it was time to trade up to the full size!

If you're like me, you're looking at this review and asking "why, when there are so many mattress specialty stores out there, would I even consider ordering off of Amazon?" I got really disheartened after shopping at the local stores. The stuff that was actually in their showrooms and were generally way out of my price range and the stuff that they had in my price range was low quality. Their websites all seemed to offer half decent mattresses (e.g. firm, not plush) at slightly more than I wanted to pay prices... but there was no way for me to try out the mattress before I bought it. There were "trade-up" plans where if I didn't like the mattress, they would take it back and credit it towards a more expensive mattress, but that felt like a trap.

So if I was going to buy a mattress sight unseen, Amazon became a serious contender. I was hopeful that Amazon's return policy would protect me, and frankly - on Labor Day Weekend - their price was VERY competitive (much less than the price I see now, in mid/late September). The price was same (or less) than various mattress stores were selling Firm mattresses for, especially when you looked at the set: some stores had inexpensive mattresses with very expensive boxsprings.

For the record, I have no idea what would be involved in returning this thing to Amazon, but I would bet that it would be a hassle ANYWHERE. From my point of view, I figured there was a chance I would end up just throwing the mattresses ( and my money) away. Glad that didn't happen!!!

It took almost exactly 2.5 weeks between purchase date and delivery. Not bad, but not what I usually get with Prime, even with big/unusual items. (I ordered TOTO CST454CEFG-11 Drake II 2-Piece Toilet with Elongated Bowl and Sanagloss, Colonial White and got them in two days.) That said, I was very surprised to discover that the shipping was "white glove" where the delivery guys actually carried everything upstairs, unpacked it, set it up, and took away the used packaging.

Because it was white glove, dealing with the delivery firm was a bit more of a hassle than UPS. They called in advance to arrange a date, and someone had to be home from noon-8pm. There was a goof where the first arranged date, they "forgot to put the packages on the truck" so we had to arrange another date and do the whole thing again. (Lesson to parents: DO NOT DISASSEMBLE YOUR KID'S OLD BED UNTIL THE MATTRESS IS ACTUALLY IN YOUR HOUSE!!!!) The boxes were slightly damaged and I considered refusing delivery, but closer examination showed that the contents were just fine. Years of experience have taught me to inspect things as soon as they get off the truck and not to be afraid to refuse delivery at even the hint of an issue.

Okay, on to the actual mattress set! It's quite nice. Much higher than I expected, but the boy can climb on and off without too much difficulty. The boxspring had a small manufacturing defect that was easily fixable, and wouldn't have mattered anyway. The mattress is very comfortable and indeed "plush." Not firm, but not a foam marshmallow. And *very* bouncy.

The most important thing to me was the sides: there is DEFINITELY some support in there. There's some give (it's not like a piece of wood in there), but at well over 200 lbs, I certainly did not feel I was going to slip off when sitting on the side of the bed, and I was extremely confident that my 35lb son was not going to roll off the bed because of lack of support. It's on par with our guest room mattress, which cost us 2x-3x the price of this one!

There is NO smell. Take that Tempur-pedic!

This is a totally positive review, so why did I rate this a four and not five stars? Because, at the end of the day, this is a great mattress *for its price range*. Once you step up to the "hotel" mattresses and other luxury mattresses at 3x,4x,5x, and even 10x, the price... you're just in a different class. It's great for what it is, and I personally wouldn't mind a bit if this is what I got to sleep on for the next 5-10 years.

I hope that this review was helpful! If I can answer any questions, please don't hesitate to ask in the comments below. I will do my best to answer, and I will try to come back and update this over time to see how well the mattress set does as it ages.